Brewer Fanatic

Nieuwenhuis DFA'd; Suter recalled

And That
I'm really thinking Aguilar will be optioned next. Hasn't started in 10games which coincides with last time he had a hit. Needs to be playing every day. With him not starting he's a 1 position pony coming off the bench which doesn't fit the team. Reed who's on the 40man has a 14:10 bb/K ratio. Low BA, but if we're looking at a backup the discipline at the plate is a positive for PH ABs.

I'd rather see Santana forced into CF than to call up someone like Wren.

Santana can't play CF. He's just passable in RF. Wren makes a lot of sense until Brinson passes the Super 2 cutoff. Wren is a contact hitter who works counts and takes walks which will play off the bench late in games. Plus he can steal a base which fits in with Counsell's style.

Is Wren on the 40-man?

If not, might not make sense to call him up. Reed might do the same things for the most part.

Kirk N. may very well end up back with the club.

There is a good chance no one claims He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Spelled. If that's the case, the Brewers might just put him down at AAA to see if he can get back on track.

Of course, as a veteran, he could reject the assignment. But then he'd be losing out on his paycheck. Doubt he wants that.

Again, this all assumes that no one claims Kirk, and the Brewers would like to keep him. Brewers could even say to him that they just want him to go play everyday, get things back in order, and then they'll bring him back.

I hope someone claims him so we can just be done with him, but I'm not overly optimistic that he will be.

Look, I've expressed dislike for Kirk, but I've also said that as a cheap lefty bat with some good pop when he can actually connect and a guy who can play anywhere in the OF, he's a good 5th outfielder for a contending team. He's just not a good fit for what we're trying to do right now, and I would say that whether he was hitting . 280 or. 080.

I don't really see how he will be back in Milwaukee now. I guess if you want to keep him in Colorado Springs as injury insurance and depth, that's fine, but he's obviously not coming back real soon and within a couple months you can pretty safely move up Brinson and Phillips without worrying about service time. You've even got Reed still on the 40 for some reason. It's a lot easier for the team to just call up someone on the 40 than have to make a 2nd move to clear another spot on the 40 for Nieuwenhuis. And even if they do he's now got to compete with guys like Wren and Cordell for that spot and I'm not even sure if he's going to win that one.

Barring some crazy circumstances like major OF injuries or Brinson and Phillips someone both just clearly not being ready in July, I don't see how Kirk is back in Milwaukee.

I hope someone claims him so we can just be done with him, but I'm not overly optimistic that he will be.

Look, I've expressed dislike for Kirk, but I've also said that as a cheap lefty bat with some good pop when he can actually connect and a guy who can play anywhere in the OF, he's a good 5th outfielder for a contending team.

I guess I just don't see the value in having someone else in that spot. Is giving some prospect sporadic ABs going to do anything positive? Heck can it be anything other than negative? I can see some anger with what they did last season(getting a lot of playing time), but this year that really hasn't been the case. I don't see any positive gain from putting a young guy in a bench role.

Look, I've expressed dislike for Kirk, but I've also said that as a cheap lefty bat with some good pop when he can actually connect and a guy who can play anywhere in the OF, he's a good 5th outfielder for a contending team.

I guess I just don't see the value in having someone else in that spot. Is giving some prospect sporadic ABs going to do anything positive? Heck can it be anything other than negative? I can see some anger with what they did last season(getting a lot of playing time), but this year that really hasn't been the case. I don't see any positive gain from putting a young guy in a bench role.

Brinson I think is a guy that needs to play every day, but I wouldn't have a problem with Cordell or Phillips in a 4th OFer type role. Especially if used similarly to how Nieuwenhuis was used last year, I think Phillips would get plenty of reps in that role to make it worthwhile. It doesn't have to be a permanent role, or a permanent promotion, but a good chance for him to get his feet wet against MLB pitching . And I'm not talking anytime soon, more likely in July.

There is a good chance no one claims He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Spelled. If that's the case, the Brewers might just put him down at AAA to see if he can get back on track.

Of course, as a veteran, he could reject the assignment. But then he'd be losing out on his paycheck. Doubt he wants that.

Again, this all assumes that no one claims Kirk, and the Brewers would like to keep him. Brewers could even say to him that they just want him to go play everyday, get things back in order, and then they'll bring him back.

With Cordell/Brinson/Phillips in AAA he would once again be the 4th outfielder. And if he isn't the 4th outfielder in AAA, then we're really stupid playing a 30 year old over an actual prospect.

We have plenty of OFers in the system. Kirk serves no purpose. Let him find a home elsewhere.

Brinson I think is a guy that needs to play every day, but I wouldn't have a problem with Cordell or Phillips in a 4th OFer type role. Especially if used similarly to how Nieuwenhuis was used last year, I think Phillips would get plenty of reps in that role to make it worthwhile. It doesn't have to be a permanent role, or a permanent promotion, but a good chance for him to get his feet wet against MLB pitching . And I'm not talking anytime soon, more likely in July.

So you cared that Broxton didn't play every single game but a more highly thought of prospect in Phillips who is a lot younger than Broxton is okay to have sit on the bench most days?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So you cared that Broxton didn't play every single game but a more highly thought of prospect in Phillips who is a lot younger than Broxton is okay to have sit on the bench most days?

Right now, the logical guy to bring up as Nieuwenhuis replacement is Wren. He produced in AAA last year and has started fine this year. His ceiling is a 4th-5th OF so no worry about an arby clock. He's also left-handed, has a good eye and can steal bases. The big thing that made Nieuwenhuis a bad fit is that he was so contact challenged on a team that needed more contact hitters. Lets see how long they go with 13 pitchers though. The most vulnerable roster spots now belong to Milone and Franklin. Suter looks like the guy who goes up and down all year.

After the Super 2 date, Brinson should be up and playing regularly, perhaps in a 3 for 2 rotation with Santana and Broxton in CF and RF.

After the Super 2 date, Brinson should be up and playing regularly, perhaps in a 3 for 2 rotation with Santana and Broxton in CF and RF.

This might make sense if he weren't right handed. Just leave Brinson in the minors until mid season at which point either Braun will be traded, someone will get hurt or Broxton or Santana will have flamed out or could be trade targets. There is no reason to force him up and stunt everyone's value.

Brinson, Phillips, and Cordell all have bad walk to strikeout ratios. If they were showing plate discipline to go along with average, then maybe you consider bringing one of them up right away, but right now I think it makes sense to let them play in AAA, and keeping in mind their offensive numbers should be looked at through the lens of playing in the PCL, and playing home games in Colorado Springs at that.

Anyone know when we pass the Super 2 status for Brinson? How about Hader and Woodruff? Three guys that could help this team if they can figure out a way to stay around .500
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone know when we pass the Super 2 status for Brinson? How about Hader and Woodruff? Three guys that could help this team if they can figure out a way to stay around .500

The numbers change each year, so there is no specific date. However, past seasons indicate that players who are kept in the minors 60 or so days or more do NOT get Super 2 status.

The baseball season is 183 days. So as you look at these, you can see that the cutoff dates have ranged from 37 days of service (in 2011) to 61 (in two different years).

Below is the year, followed by the service time needed to qualify for Super 2 in that year, plus the days needed to be kept in minors to avoid Super 2 (assuming the player has no other service time). Note: the baseball season is 183 days.

2016: 2.131 (52 days)

2015: 2.130 (53 days)

2014: 2.133 (50 days)

2013: 2.122 (61 days)

2012: 2.140 (43 days)

2011: 2.146 (37 days)

2010: 2.122 (61 days)

2009: 2.139 (44 days)

Guys could have been called up as early as mid-May (2011) and not gotten Super 2 status. But the last few years the cutoff has roughly been the end of May. A team would be wise to wait until early/mid-June if they want to be safe.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/projected-super-two-cutoff-2016.html

The numbers change each year, so there is no specific date. However, past seasons indicate that players who are kept in the minors 60 or so days or more do NOT get Super 2 status.

The baseball season is 183 days. So as you look at these, you can see that the cutoff dates have ranged from 37 days of service (in 2011) to 61 (in two different years).

Below is the year, followed by the service time needed to qualify for Super 2 in that year, plus the days needed to be kept in minors to avoid Super 2 (assuming the player has no other service time). Note: the baseball season is 183 days.

2016: 2.131 (52 days)

2015: 2.130 (53 days)

2014: 2.133 (50 days)

2013: 2.122 (61 days)

2012: 2.140 (43 days)

2011: 2.146 (37 days)

2010: 2.122 (61 days)

2009: 2.139 (44 days)

Guys could have been called up as early as mid-May (2011) and not gotten Super 2 status. But the last few years the cutoff has roughly been the end of May. A team would be wise to wait until early/mid-June if they want to be safe.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/projected-super-two-cutoff-2016.html

Because teams are being cognizant about that date so much now, you have to wonder how far back it will get pushed before it's addressed in the CBA. I mean we can't be too far from it getting into July.

Thanks for that clarification. Appreciate it.

I'd say June 1st might be smart then.

Well, I'm quite a bit higher on Brinson than Phillips, which is why I said I'd prefer for him to still have an everyday job, but I wouldn't have a problem with a cup of coffee for Phillips soon. Like I said before it doesn't have to be a permanent promotion or role. Just a chance for him to get his feet wet against MLB pitching. Even Prince has a role like that for a bit the first time he was called up.

Braun, Broxton, Santana, will all be needing days off from time to time. My issue last year with Nieuwenhuis was never the fact that they were mixing in another guy, it was mixing in another guy who was clearly just a career journeyman bench guy with no future with the club, in a clear rebuilding year. If they mixed in Phillips as the 4th guy similar to how they did with Perez in the IF and OF last year I'm good with that.

And part of it is just excitement over a young prospect. Is it better for Phillips to have an every day role in AAA right now, probably, but I'm excited to see if he can help us now, especially since we have a better team than last year.

Archived