Brewer Fanatic

Brinson over Santana

DR28
If Broxton makes a small improvement in his K rate there is no reason he can't be a Mike Cameron type player. If he stays up around 38% he probably won't stick though, it does need to come down a little bit. I think a player can live in the low 30s in the current game where as that same player would never be allowed the chance in the past. So if he can drop it even 5% I think he will be fine. 10% he could be a star.

Problem with that is Broxton is 27 already. Cameron was 6th in ROY voting at age 24 and was fully established by age 26. They can't keep waiting on him with a player of Brinson's ability waiting in the wings.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broxton is 27. If he were 24 and they didn't have a top 20 prospect in the game performing well at the highest level in the minor leagues who just happens to play his position, then maybe you stick with Broxton. The argument that this is a rebuilding year as an excuse is ridiculous. They are in a pennant race with an underperforming CF already. The sooner Brinson adjusts to major leagues, the sooner he's helping this team compete.

Yawn...do you not see the bullpen on a regular basis throwing games away? We should be up like 6-7 games in the division. Until Stearns does something to remedy that horrific situation there is no point to even bringing Brinson up to "help compete."

Broxton is basically a light version of Carlos Gomez. He will carry you for stretches, and then kill you for others. Not everybody can hit for entire seasons unless you are truly elite. You don't need to hit all year long either if you play great CF defense, Byron Buxton is a good example.

We are in the second year of data on Broxton showing him to be a streaky guy. He started last year insanely cold. He just could not get a hit. He bounced back and forth to CS, fixed his swing, and was scorching hot down the stretch before he was hurt. This year he's been nothing but streaks. Cold, red hot, insanely cold.

When he goes cold, it's like a mental struggle for him where he's essentially useless. He needs to overcome that. By definition, hitting is mentally challenging. If he can survive better through some valleys and at least get some hits, he can be respectable. He's also got the potential to defend better.

My bottom line is Broxton would likely not be my long term solution. But he still has tools and at 27 can still put it together. If he finishes strong and ends with overall nice numbers, you may be able to get a return for him because he brings some talent that's hard to find.

We are in the second year of data on Broxton showing him to be a streaky guy. He started last year insanely cold. He just could not get a hit. He bounced back and forth to CS, fixed his swing, and was scorching hot down the stretch before he was hurt. This year he's been nothing but streaks. Cold, red hot, insanely cold.

When he goes cold, it's like a mental struggle for him where he's essentially useless. He needs to overcome that. By definition, hitting is mentally challenging. If he can survive better through some valleys and at least get some hits, he can be respectable. He's also got the potential to defend better.

My bottom line is Broxton would likely not be my long term solution. But he still has tools and at 27 can still put it together. If he finishes strong and ends with overall nice numbers, you may be able to get a return for him because he brings some talent that's hard to find.

Broxton plays great D and has speed. Late inning replacement could be his specialty. He'll be cheap for a few years yet. He should be in the mix for playing time over the next few years. However, if Brinson or Phillips outplays him, they should start or play more.

Broxton plays great D and has speed. Late inning replacement could be his specialty. He'll be cheap for a few years yet. He should be in the mix for playing time over the next few years. However, if Brinson or Phillips outplays him, they should start or play more.

Well, there is the issue. IF he was playing great D, I wouldnt mind his streaks. I am a big fan of great defensive players and I would love to have a guy who is a GG caliber CF and Id gladly put up with his streaky hitting.

However, in 2017, he has been anything but great or even good defensively.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9253&position=OF

If Broxton makes a small improvement in his K rate there is no reason he can't be a Mike Cameron type player. If he stays up around 38% he probably won't stick though, it does need to come down a little bit. I think a player can live in the low 30s in the current game where as that same player would never be allowed the chance in the past. So if he can drop it even 5% I think he will be fine. 10% he could be a star.

Problem with that is Broxton is 27 already. Cameron was 6th in ROY voting at age 24 and was fully established by age 26. They can't keep waiting on him with a player of Brinson's ability waiting in the wings.

Respectfully disagree. The Brewers absolutely can wait on Brinson's ability. He, like Phillips, just turned 23 last month and has played what amounts to half a season in AAA for his career. I love Brinson as a prospect and think he'll be a very good MLB player but Broxton has value and is a fine defender so there's no reason to rush Brinson as he still has things to work on. Broxton is streaky offensively and once he gets back on that hot streak is numbers will shoot back up because when he's hot he's driving the balls in the gaps and over the wall. If Broxton is struggling offensively come the deadline then I can see Brinson up at that point for the final 2 months with Broxton as the 4th OF backing up all 3 spots. Otherwise I can't see Brinson coming up until Sept, along with Phillips.

Well, there is the issue. IF he was playing great D, I wouldnt mind his streaks. I am a big fan of great defensive players and I would love to have a guy who is a GG caliber CF and Id gladly put up with his streaky hitting.

However, in 2017, he has been anything but great or even good defensively.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9253&position=OF

The issue I have with Fangraphs and their defensive metrics is they're done so with everyone playing straight up and that's rarely the case. While infielders tend to shift much more heavily than outfielders it still will affect the results. Broxton hasn't played CF as well this year compared to last but he's absolutely still been really solid. Overall he's been average thus far this year but there's clearly room for him to improve and get more consistent. His skill set shouldn't be abandoned because the MLB team is playing better than people thought (though I'm not shocked as they're a 500 team without question) combined with Brinson performing to the expected level in AAA with everyone knowing he's knocking on the door. The Brewers are in a good position right now and need to stay the course.

I value experience over age. Players tend to peak in their 3rd or 4th season, not at age 27 like people like to quote. It is just most good players come up in their early 20s so the peaks match up. Broxton doesn't even have a full season of experience yet. The issue is really that this partial season is worse than the other one so he isn't showing growth yet.

Broxton has to show something this year or I think they give up on him, but I think it is fine being patient with him for a while longer. He might just be a 4th OF who plays against LHP after this season. He has a 120 wRC+ against LHP which is fantastic. It is just 82 against RHP which is awful. He also hits really poorly at Miller Park. Hard to say if that is just noise or if the batting eye messes with him since the sample is pretty small.

Broxton is 27. If he were 24 and they didn't have a top 20 prospect in the game performing well at the highest level in the minor leagues who just happens to play his position, then maybe you stick with Broxton. The argument that this is a rebuilding year as an excuse is ridiculous. They are in a pennant race with an underperforming CF already. The sooner Brinson adjusts to major leagues, the sooner he's helping this team compete.

Yawn...do you not see the bullpen on a regular basis throwing games away? We should be up like 6-7 games in the division. Until Stearns does something to remedy that horrific situation there is no point to even bringing Brinson up to "help compete."

Broxton is basically a light version of Carlos Gomez. He will carry you for stretches, and then kill you for others. Not everybody can hit for entire seasons unless you are truly elite. You don't need to hit all year long either if you play great CF defense, Byron Buxton is a good example.

I am sorry, but I don't agree with that comparison at all. You may feel Gomez was streaky, but in reality he was not. In the the 2012-2014 period his monthly average never dipped below .240(other stats were pretty consistent too). I understand on a weekly basis that may be different, but what player isn't streaky like that?

Also Keon Broxton is nothing even remotely close to Carlos Gomez defensively. While a Gomez or Buxton have defense to carry their value through long slumps Broxton does not. He does not have GG defense and never will.

Broxton is not Gomez or Cameron so can we just stop with those comparisons already? He's a place holder. For me, his cold streaks outweigh his hot streaks. He just swings and misses way too much. People jumped the gun on the guy a bit. Was he a part of an awesome trade for Stearns, sure. But we are definitely trying to make him into something that he is not.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He's a place holder.

And I think they are still trying to determine that. If they were sure he is a placeholder they would have called up a Sky Sox OFer to replace him by now as there would be no reason not to at this point.

He's a place holder.

And I think they are still trying to determine that. If they were sure he is a placeholder they would have called up a Sky Sox OFer to replace him by now as there would be no reason not to at this point.

If Brinson was hitting at all away from CS it would've been a no doubter by now. Can't force a guy up who may not be ready. Good thing Kirk wasn't on this team right now or we would be seeing plenty of him in CF.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is a team stocked full of OF prospects, we are past the Super Two, and we are playing Broxton, Franklin, and Thames in the OF on a regular basis.

There Is no need to rush anyone up just because they are the top prospect. In fact there is more reason not to because he is the top prospect. The team is doing better than expected and the offense is a major reason why. It is doing so with Thames and Franklin playing regularly so isn't a problem. I really hope the team stops rushing players to the majors like Melvin did with Weeks, Hardy and Fielder. If this administration feels the same way there is no guarantee Brinson won't be back in AAA for a couple months next year as well.

I don't know that Brinson or Phillips would be qualified as rushed at this point.

Yes the Brewers are hitting, but Broxton and Franklin are not.

Furthermore a Santana, Broxton, Thames/Franklin OF might be the worst defensive OF in baseball. Braun will be a defensive upgrade over Thames and Franklin and that says it all.

Ultimately I supposes it doesn't matter as this is a rebuilding year, but I think we really don't need to see anymore of Franklin, and it's not fair to our pitching staff to put that OF out there day after day if you have better options at CS.

Phillips has all of 175 ab's in AAA and struck out in 60 of them. I don't see how calling him up for good now is anything but rushing him.

Brinson has a full season plus in AAA but, as Homer pointed out, he is not exactly lighting it up away from Colorado Springs. I don't think it's a stretch to say he is not totally ready. Even if he was what is wrong with keeping him down like the Cubs did with Bryant? Why trade a year when we might need him more to play at a time we don't need him? I wouldn't mind at all if he is in AAA past super two next season let alone now.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since the beginning of May Santana had a .940 OPS
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived