Brewer Fanatic

Brinson over Santana

DR28
Why do we cherry pick Broxton's last week or two and completely ignore that Brinson has hit .226 his last 10 games and was very average the entire month of May? Let the guy stay where he is and get healthy.

Agreed. As much as Brinson has been hurt and the fact that he isn't even the top OFer in Colorado Springs this year there's absolutely no reason to rush him .

Broxton is always going to strike out a ton. If he can get that OBP back up to the . 350 range and give us the defense we got from him last year I'm not that concerned with his K rate.

He needs to get his walk rate up a bit, but he's still OPSing. 776. He's fine . We don't always need to look for a reason to replace him .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care about Broxton's K rate. I would like to see him get the avg up a bit and return to drawing walks. I don't know if Brinson can match Broxton's production.

He's fanned 71 times in 166 ABs. The point is his production is more likely to fall off than it is to increase. It's not like he's expanding the zone. For the most part he's either swinging through pitches that have a lot of the plate or he's taking balls right down the middle with two strikes. Yes he runs into one now and again like he did last night, and his defense has been very good, if not stellar at times, but he's 27 years old, not 23. If Brinson is the prospect he's purported to be, Broxton is not going to block him.

I don't care about Broxton's K rate. I would like to see him get the avg up a bit and return to drawing walks. I don't know if Brinson can match Broxton's production.

He's fanned 71 times in 166 ABs. The point is his production is more likely to fall off than it is to increase.

Why? Based on what? If he cuts down on his K's, his production would get better, not worse. He's still not hitting nearly as well as he did in the 2nd half of last year nor hitting balls as hard. He had a terribly slow start and then a hot few weeks and since then it's been pretty even, some good some bad. There's nothing about Broxton's season so far that screams unsustainable .

He needs to get his defense up to elite level again and draw a few more walks. If he does that we have a 18 HR/30 SB guy with .340-.350 OBP ability or so and an elite glove in center and have no need to think about replacing him. If we get a great trade offer for him and want to take it, that's fine. In the meantime let things play out with our AAA outfield prospects but there's absolutely no rush to relegate Broxton to the bench in favor of Brinson.

If Broxton makes a small improvement in his K rate there is no reason he can't be a Mike Cameron type player. If he stays up around 38% he probably won't stick though, it does need to come down a little bit. I think a player can live in the low 30s in the current game where as that same player would never be allowed the chance in the past. So if he can drop it even 5% I think he will be fine. 10% he could be a star.

With no time table on Braun's return, send down Broxton and DFA Franklin. Call up Brinson and Phillips and have a little fun. Whoever is struggling upon Braun's return, send em back to AAA for more work.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With no time table on Braun's return, send down Broxton and DFA Franklin. Call up Brinson and Phillips and have a little fun. Whoever is struggling upon Braun's return, send em back to AAA for more work.

One could dream.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If indeed Bronson is a top 20 prospect, there's absolutely no reason for him to be blocked at this point by Broxton. If he's not a top 20 prospect then we've all been sold a bill of goods.

2 weeks ago Broxton had an .800 OPS (271/329/471). You don't bench a guy and bring up a prospect because of two bad weeks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If indeed Bronson is a top 20 prospect, there's absolutely no reason for him to be blocked at this point by Broxton. If he's not a top 20 prospect then we've all been sold a bill of goods.

2 weeks ago Broxton had an .800 OPS (271/329/471). You don't bench a guy and bring up a prospect because of two bad weeks.

In his last 28 days he's OPS'ing .601. It's more than a two week slump and he's not playing great defense to go with it. We have guys ready to go and that are supposed to be good players. What's the hold up? Especially in left field. If it's a Aguilar/Thames thing. Trade Aguilar or put him back to pinch hitting, spot start duties

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is a team stocked full of OF prospects, we are past the Super Two, and we are playing Broxton, Franklin, and Thames in the OF on a regular basis.

There Is no need to rush anyone up just because they are the top prospect. In fact there is more reason not to because he is the top prospect. The team is doing better than expected and the offense is a major reason why. It is doing so with Thames and Franklin playing regularly so isn't a problem. I really hope the team stops rushing players to the majors like Melvin did with Weeks, Hardy and Fielder. If this administration feels the same way there is no guarantee Brinson won't be back in AAA for a couple months next year as well.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is a team stocked full of OF prospects, we are past the Super Two, and we are playing Broxton, Franklin, and Thames in the OF on a regular basis.

There Is no need to rush anyone up just because they are the top prospect. In fact there is more reason not to because he is the top prospect. The team is doing better than expected and the offense is a major reason why. It is doing so with Thames and Franklin playing regularly so isn't a problem. I really hope the team stops rushing players to the majors like Melvin did with Weeks, Hardy and Fielder. If this administration feels the same way there is no guarantee Brinson won't be back in AAA for a couple months next year as well.

I don't know that Brinson or Phillips would be qualified as rushed at this point.

Yes the Brewers are hitting, but Broxton and Franklin are not.

Furthermore a Santana, Broxton, Thames/Franklin OF might be the worst defensive OF in baseball. Braun will be a defensive upgrade over Thames and Franklin and that says it all.

Ultimately I supposes it doesn't matter as this is a rebuilding year, but I think we really don't need to see anymore of Franklin, and it's not fair to our pitching staff to put that OF out there day after day if you have better options at CS.

Broxton is 27. If he were 24 and they didn't have a top 20 prospect in the game performing well at the highest level in the minor leagues who just happens to play his position, then maybe you stick with Broxton. The argument that this is a rebuilding year as an excuse is ridiculous. They are in a pennant race with an underperforming CF already. The sooner Brinson adjusts to major leagues, the sooner he's helping this team compete.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brinson away from Colorado Springs this season: 238/333/452 with a 31% K rate. Leave him be.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Broxton is 27. If he were 24 and they didn't have a top 20 prospect in the game performing well at the highest level in the minor leagues who just happens to play his position, then maybe you stick with Broxton. The argument that this is a rebuilding year as an excuse is ridiculous. They are in a pennant race with an underperforming CF already. The sooner Brinson adjusts to major leagues, the sooner he's helping this team compete.

Now that we are past Super Two, there's nothing wrong with bringing Brinson up. Broxton hasn't even played good D this year so he really isn't Mike Cameron Jr. I am aware how hot he can get and he is in a valley now that he could break out from, but his D is really what bothers me, especially with Thames and Santana bracketing him.

This does raise an interesting question though, even though fangraphs has us the 4th worst roster in the game on their depth charts, at what point do you see us at the top of the standings and bring up our better talent and sit down guys who are less than replacement level?

His defense is fantastic...better than Thames or Perez in OF.

:laughing how about Santana? Or Braun?

Archived