Brinson over Santana

DR28
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santana MLB OPS .820

Brinson MiLB OPS .879

this gets a little closer every day...

Domingo Santana is a 24 year old with a .370 OBP. He's kind've turning into what Christian Yelich was supposed to be.

Brinson isn't coming up unless someone gets traded. But I'm not sure it's not Brinson that gets traded. In fact, both Cordell and Phillips are out hitting Brinson in CS.

If Domingo got his defensive game to even just average, he'd be a heck of a ballplayer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Domingo got his defensive game to even just average, he'd be a heck of a ballplayer.

Agreed. I think he's being sold a bit short by some. He's still only 24, and has room to improve. Improved defense along with increasing his FB% by 10% and you'd be looking at an all-star.

I would be perfectly fine with a trade of Broxton come July and allowing Brinson to take over there. As it looks, Braun isn't going anywhere so might as well sell high on Broxton and begin the future with Brinson. As long as the deal is good enough.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would assume the team trusts Santana over Broxton since Santana has been batting higher in the order even while Broxton has been raking. Broxton is worth so much more than Santana in the field though it probably still makes him the better player right this second.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Cordell may be the most underrated prospects in the system. I liked what I saw of him in spring training. Very good athlete and can hit. He reminds of Corey Hart. Whether he ends up that good remains to be seen. I think, though, he very well may be an every day type of bat.

Cordell has a .740 OPS on the road this year. 1.088 OPS at Colorado Springs.

My interest in the guy is piqued when see his overall numbers, but then I temper things when I dig a little deeper. He's an athletic player with a lot of skills, but I'm not sure he does quite enough of anything that well to be a starter.

The Corey Hart comp is interesting. I think Corey had a better hit tool, but Cordell is probably a better defensive player.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him - it might just be him getting a chance - which I don't know will come in Milwaukee due to the crowded OF situation. But who knows.

Agreed. I think he's being sold a bit short by some. He's still only 24, and has room to improve. Improved defense along with increasing his FB% by 10% and you'd be looking at an all-star.

Not sure we can expect him to improve much defensively, for the most part (Not to say there aren't exceptions) defense doesn't improve much at that age. Which would be less of a concern if we didn't also have Braun, who is also a subpar defender these days. Let's hope Santanas bat keeps improving to make up for his defense. Looking quite promising tbh. His patience and BB% is very good, maybe needs to start being a bit more aggressive in certain counts.

you can always move one of these guys to 1b and thames to the of, or at least give that a try. It's been talked about for years. Thames looks to be half decent in a corner.

I don't know about that. Thames hasn't played a lot in the outfield, but he hasn't looked very comfortable to me when he has. I highly question that Thames would look any better than Santana in RF if put out there on a regular basis.

Community Moderator

A quick note on Super Two status. This upcoming Thursday (June 1) should mark 122 service days left in the Brewers season. Since 2009 that number marks the lowest cutoff for number of service days a player has accumulated (beyond two full years of service years) and still received Super Two status following their third season.

• 2016: 2.131
    2015: 2.140
    2014: 2.133
    2013: 2.122
    2012: 2.140
    2011: 2.146
    2010: 2.122
    2009: 2.139

The concern over protecting against Brinson achieving Super Two status following the 2019 season should be over within the next week or so.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brinson didn't play either of the games in their double header yesterday. Is he hurt or possible callup today?

Shoot. Well thanks for the link I missed that one.

Has Brinson had even one healthy stretch of games (like 15+)since the Brewers got him? Seems to remind me of Ryan Braun...never anything overly serious, but he's seemingly always got some sort of minor injury that's causing him to miss time.

Brinson just seems to have nagging injury after nagging injury.

He got hit by a pitch, not sure what he's supposed to do about that.

Nothing. It's not his fault, but it seems like he's had just minor injury after minor injury.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why do we cherry pick Broxton's last week or two and completely ignore that Brinson has hit .226 his last 10 games and was very average the entire month of May? Let the guy stay where he is and get healthy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived