Brewer Fanatic

Brinson over Santana

DR28

That would be fine mid season if he can't get it together. But April is just way too early for this kind of thing. There are players hitting in the 100s all over the place because that is just how baseball works in April. There are 44 qualified hitters hitting under .200 right now. 16 of them are hitting .150 or lower. A big chunk of players just can't get their timing down early.

Yea, look at the Cardinals for example. Dexter Fowler is only hitting .169 and a .547 OPS. Wong hitting .179. Grichuk .185.

It's a long season and from month to month some guys will struggle, while others rake and then things reverse the next month.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stick Broxton as a 4th OF ruins him. It is either start him or send him down or trade him. You can't develop playing part time.

He's had enough development time. Also, he can still get at least 3 starts a week plus PHing the other games. Broxton has his chance right now, if he can't get it going by the break, it's time to give Brinson a chance anyhow.

I pray they don't bring him up anytime soon. Give Santana and Broxton a chance to work through their issues. Why rush a guy in a year we aren't competing.

The simple answer is the final stage of a player's development is done at the major league level. You don't declare "OK now we are competing" and expect guys with no major league experience to be finished products. This is a development year. Guys are competing to win but developing guys like Arcia and Bronson now are keys to success in 2018 and 2019.

I pray they don't bring him up anytime soon. Give Santana and Broxton a chance to work through their issues. Why rush a guy in a year we aren't competing.

The simple answer is the final stage of a player's development is done at the major league level. You don't declare "OK now we are competing" and expect guys with no major league experience to be finished products. This is a development year. Guys are competing to win but developing guys like Arcia and Brinson now are keys to success in 2018 and 2019. I'd be shocked if Brinson isn't up by All Star break and more likely sooner.

The simple answer is the final stage of a player's development is done at the major league level. You don't declare "OK now we are competing" and expect guys with no major league experience to be finished products. This is a development year. Guys are competing to win but developing guys like Arcia and Bronson now are keys to success in 2018 and 2019.

Agreed...but only after the Super 2 deadline has passed. Broxton has a month and a half of the 2017 season (40-50 games) to prove he is an everyday player. If not, it's Brinson time.

part of the benefit of our situation is we can give guys like Santana, Broxton, Shaw, Villar, Thames, etc chances. It makes no sense to give up on an asset when our focus is 2018-2020. Brinson has things to work on. Everyone does

Agreed...but only after the Super 2 deadline has passed. Broxton has a month and a half of the 2017 season (40-50 games) to prove he is an everyday player. If not, it's Brinson time.

Exactly. Broxton is 27. They won't wait long on him. Santana isn't exactly established either. He has longer but this is a big season for him to prove going forward that he is a core player.

part of the benefit of our situation is we can give guys like Santana, Broxton, Shaw, Villar, Thames, etc chances. It makes no sense to give up on an asset when our focus is 2018-2020. Brinson has things to work on. Everyone does

Your focus can still be 2018-2020 and still bring up guys like Arcia, Brinson, Phillips, Woodruff, Hader, etc... Those players can only do so much at the lower levels. After they clear that Super 2 area, and IF they are performing at a high level in the minors, there is really no reson not to bring them along at the major league level.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And that's why they should both get the better part of 2017 to do so. Brinson's time will come, no need to rush.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Let Broxton and Santana have the full year to see what they can do.

You need to earn the right to a full season and that is by at least showing some signs while being competent. Hitting .120 is a joke and he has already had the luxury of still have an every day job despite hitting like a pitcher. We also have the luxury of many good OF prospects at AAA and they should get their chance if Broxton continues to be below average.

And that's why they should both get the better part of 2017 to do so. Brinson's time will come, no need to rush.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

No one would be rushing him. He's had plenty of at bats (roughly 2,000) and if he's hitting the ball like he has been (homer tonight) he deserves to be called up if there's a spot for him to play.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sorry but I simply disagree. Bringing up Brinson and giving up on Santana or Broxton for this year would make me lose faith completely in the front office, it would be a terrible decision. You just killed the value of one player while limiting the value of another for no good reason. This is one of those situations where I disagree so strongly that I don't even understand suggesting it, it is an awful idea. Brinson comes up because we trade Braun or he comes up because it is half way through the season, he is raking in the minors and one of Santana or Broxton still looks lost.

Broxton is doing his own to damage any value there.

It's April, not the middle of July.

Broxton has only 46 at bats so far. It's amazing to me that so many fans are considering a panic move based off such a tiny sample and even worse during a season where the Brewers are still in a rebuilding mode. Patience is the exact thing required with talented, but inexperienced major league players and the same with skilled kids in the minors for teams in a building situation as this team currently is.

It's April, not the middle of July.

Broxton has only 46 at bats so far. It's amazing to me that so many fans are considering a panic move based off such a tiny sample and even worse during a season where the Brewers are still in a rebuilding mode. Patience is the exact thing required with talented, but inexperienced major league players and the same with skilled kids in the minors for teams in a building situation as this team currently is.

Yep. Ryan freaking Braun had a 6 for 43 stretch last year. Did in 2015 too. Happens.

Broxton looked more comfortable at the plate tonight. Put it in play every time, got on base twice, went 1 for 3. Obviously not a breakout game by any means, but a step in the right direction. He'll come around. Or maybe he won't, I don't know for sure, but I know we can't say for sure either way after 46 ABs.

I'm not sure I read anywhere in this thread about pulling the plug on Broxton in April. A bunch mentioned, including myself, that if his poor play continues and Brinson is playing well that you make the switch. And many mentioned that it must be after the Super 2 status.

I don't think anyone is panicking with Broxton. I think the thought has been give Broxton 40-50 games (25-33% of the season) and make the evaluation then. If he is hitting .220 and playing outstanding defense and showing signs of progress, stick with him. If he is hitting .180 at the end of May, then you may want to consider bringing Brinson up and letting him get some experience at the MLB level. As others have mentioned, if 2019 is the target for competing for a playoff spot, it's not realistic to expect the Brinsons of the world to come up and immediately be ready to contribute to a playoff caliber team. 2017 and 2018 will be critical in allowing Brinson, Phillips, Broxton, Santana, Arcia, etc...to learn.

Broxton and Santana are getting their chances now. Brinson and Phillips will be waiting should they not succeed.

I don't think anyone is panicking with Broxton. I think the thought has been give Broxton 40-50 games (25-33% of the season) and make the evaluation then. If he is hitting .220 and playing outstanding defense and showing signs of progress, stick with him. If he is hitting .180 at the end of May, then you may want to consider bringing Brinson up and letting him get some experience at the MLB level. As others have mentioned, if 2019 is the target for competing for a playoff spot, it's not realistic to expect the Brinsons of the world to come up and immediately be ready to contribute to a playoff caliber team. 2017 and 2018 will be critical in allowing Brinson, Phillips, Broxton, Santana, Arcia, etc...to learn.

Broxton and Santana are getting their chances now. Brinson and Phillips will be waiting should they not succeed.

As a reflexive Broxton defender / apologist, I think this is very reasonable.

I would only emphasize that the goal here is getting these decisions right. There's no formula or timetable rule for how you do that. If the team gets to the end of May, Broxton is hitting .180, but scouts' eyes and/or analysts' numbers say he's breaking out of it even if his slash stats don't, then maybe you stick with him longer.

By the same token, if you con yourself into thinking that Broxton or Santana can put it all together, and that ends up blocking or stunting the younger guys, that's a failure too. What matters is getting it right.

I also dismiss the common wisdom that you're somehow giving up on Broxton if/when Brinson comes up. Broxton can still get plenty of ABs as the 4th OF, or Santana could as well for that matter. Most players aren't automatically handed a full time job indefinitely to prove themselves. Broxton can still get 15-20 ABs a week starting 3 games and PH in the other 4. That's plenty ABs for him to prove he belongs.

This won't be the last tough call to make in the OF. Cordell is on fire, Phillips has shown signs recently of breaking through, then you still have Ray and others behind them. When All Star break hits, that will be a year and a half of Broxton, how much longer does he need? I mean, he's not 22.

But Greg makes an obvious, yet great point. This is all about getting these decisions right. Not about punishing player, rewarding one, or player 'X" deserves more time, or player "Y" deserves a shot. No, it's all about trying to determine who belongs.

Between Cordell/Brinson/Phillips I don't think we can even give a player a year to figure it out. If you can't figure it out in a half season then you can go to AAA and someone else can get a shot. Doing a 4 player rotation is a good idea if the player to replace(so to speak) is hitting like Santana was a week back(.240/.320/.750). Not great, but maybe not bad enough you want to demote him all together.

Of course an injury is inevitable at some point where Cordell/Phillips might get a short stint.

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It sometimes pays to wait things out.

Domingo's last 20 games:

.373/.462/.552

He's at .810 OPS overall.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Cordell may be the most underrated prospects in the system. I liked what I saw of him in spring training. Very good athlete and can hit. He reminds of Corey Hart. Whether he ends up that good remains to be seen. I think, though, he very well may be an every day type of bat.

If Brinson gets the call up, then I would expect both Broxton and Santana to see reduced playing time, but both would continue to play on a fairly regular basis. Counsel likes to rotate the lineup and play everybody. There is also Braun with his lingering injuries and need to sit every so often even when healthy.

Archived