Villar, 2B

Brinson, RF

Braun, LF

Thames, 1B

Shaw, 3B

Broxton, CF

Bandy, C

Arcia, SS

I would much rather have Brinson over Santana as our everyday RF.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brinson is going to CF regardless, but right now I will take Santana over Broxton. I actually hope we see Brinson after the Super 2 cutoff. If Broxton/Santana both start hitting that might not happen though.

I understand the Super 2 cutoff isn't a known thing, but it can be predicted quite easily.

Why the preference of Broxton over Santana at this point? Seems you're writing Santana off since he's been just mediocre so far, while Broxton has frankly been awful. Santana is two years younger too, and has more of a track record than Broxton. Unless you're talking all about D, then I get it. Overall play both a ton and see how they do. Broxton looks way more likely to flop though and free up a spot for Brinson to me.

Brinson is going to CF regardless, but right now I will take Santana over Broxton. I actually hope we see Brinson after the Super 2 cutoff. If Broxton/Santana both start hitting that might not happen though.

Agree. Brinson can play CF, and Broxton isn't hitting. At this point, it's far more likely Brinson replaces Broxton than Santana.

Santana .229 avg / .333 OBP / .438 SLG / .771 OPS

Broxton .119 avg / .196 OBP / .214 SLG / .410 OPS

Maybe things will change by Super 2 cutoff, but as it stands right now, Broxton would become the #4 OF, with Braun, Brinson, and Santana the starters.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I pray they don't bring him up anytime soon. Give Santana and Broxton a chance to work through their issues. Why rush a guy in a year we aren't competing.

No one said we would. Just asked when and if Broxton continues his ways Super 2 cutoff is quite likely. If he can't figure it out by then he can go back to AAA like last year.

Yes, Brinson over Broxton would be fine with me after his Super 2 cut off date. I wish Broxton would not have broken his wrist at the end of last year so we would've been able to ship him off before he turned back into the pumpkin he's been.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

why would you move thames in the lineup, everything is working fine. Unless there is an injury to one of the OF's and the brewers continue to play well, i see no need to bring him up until september. let him have a full season in triple A, don't forget that he was texas's double A when the trade went down. why rush the process?

why rush the process?

Brinson will most likely have over 2,000 at bats as a minor leaguer by the time they consider calling him up. If he's still smacking the ball around the park at a high clip, I don't think it is rushing the process at all but continuing his process. Can't hold everyone down all the time. Some just continue to grow and they have to continue that at the major league level.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They just did it with Arcia and that seems a lot more rushed than this would be a couple months from now. So it wouldn't surprise at all if they did it if one of Broxton/Santana don't do well or gets hurt. Let's just say I'd rather that than playing Kirky everyday.

Yes, Brinson over Broxton would be fine with me after his Super 2 cut off date. I wish Broxton would not have broken his wrist at the end of last year so we would've been able to ship him off before he turned back into the pumpkin he's been.

It's been 42 ABs and he has 5 hits, last year he was 3 for his first 43. I'm high on Brinson and expect big things from him but 42 ABs is far too soon to write Broxton off. I mean it's possible he's a bust but far from certain yet. Besides I don't think he has enough of a sample size to get much in the winter for him anyway.

It's been 42 ABs and he has 5 hits, last year he was 3 for his first 43. I'm high on Brinson and expect big things from him but 42 ABs is far too soon to write Broxton off.

Well he has some time to prove himself before Brinson has a chance to come up. The dude has a 13 OPS+ and if that doesn't drastically improve before June ---> [TICKET to Colorado Springs]

It's been 42 ABs and he has 5 hits, last year he was 3 for his first 43. I'm high on Brinson and expect big things from him but 42 ABs is far too soon to write Broxton off. I mean it's possible he's a bust but far from certain yet. Besides I don't think he has enough of a sample size to get much in the winter for him anyway.

I'm not saying he's going to be the player we are currently seeing on the field but I'm just not as high on him as some are. I think he can be a solid player out there wish is why I wish he didn't get hurt so we possibly could've sold high on him. As much as we want to see Braun moved, moving a hot hitting Broxton at league minimum is a lot easier and you can acquire very good talent for those types of players.

I'm not saying he's going to be the player we are currently seeing on the field but I'm just not as high on him as some are. I think he can be a solid player out there wish is why I wish he didn't get hurt so we possibly could've sold high on him. As much as we want to see Braun moved, moving a hot hitting Broxton at league minimum is a lot easier and you can acquire very good talent for those types of players.

I don't think you would have had many teams offering top prospects for Broxton after last year. Of course it is easy to look at it after the fact.

Broxton can actually play defense. I don't have high hopes for Santana but remain optimistic. There are times he looks lost at the plate and looks like a very average LF trying to play RF

Meanwhile, Phillips hasn't done much, hitting wise since 2015. Cordell has been off and on. Ray is still a few years off if he even develops to MLB quality.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Only 40+ at bats but Brett Phillips slash line is .318/.375/.568/.943 so far. Good sign.

Only way I want Brinson up this year before September is if there's an injury or Braun gets traded. Let Broxton and Santana have the full year to see what they can do. The team has the luxury of time this season, let's use it.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Bring Brinson up when he's ready, (almost) as simple as that. I mean, it means waiting a few weeks due to Super 2, that just makes sense. Beyond that, bring him up on or before the break this year if he's still hitting at this pace.

I get the notion of "why bring him up if they're not competing." But he, and the other prospects, have to start sometime. It's not like you can declare "Ok, THIS year we're going to be good" and bring up Brinson, Hader, Woodruff, etc. These guys will likely have their ups and downs the first year or two, so may as well get that out of the way now. That's how I look at it. Also, may as well find out if any of these guys can't hang.

When Brinson comes up, put him in CF. Broxton can be 4th OF and still get a ton of ABs in that role. I think you can speed up the rebuild a bit by not holding guys back when they're ready.

Stick Broxton as a 4th OF ruins him. It is either start him or send him down or trade him. You can't develop playing part time.

Okay then send Broxton down to AAA and let him re-earn a spot back on this team. I say this if he continues on the path he is currently on.

Stick Broxton as a 4th OF ruins him. It is either start him or send him down or trade him. You can't develop playing part time.

Okay then send Broxton down to AAA and let him re-earn a spot back on this team. I say this if he continues on the path he is currently on.

That would be fine mid season if he can't get it together. But April is just way too early for this kind of thing. There are players hitting in the 100s all over the place because that is just how baseball works in April. There are 44 qualified hitters hitting under .200 right now. 16 of them are hitting .150 or lower. A big chunk of players just can't get their timing down early.

Only 40+ at bats but Brett Phillips slash line is .318/.375/.568/.943 so far. Good sign.

That is indeed a good sign. Keep it going Brett!!!!

Only way I want Brinson up this year before September is if there's an injury or Braun gets traded. Let Broxton and Santana have the full year to see what they can do. The team has the luxury of time this season, let's use it.

Well said. I agree. I will say that I will be very very surprised if Santana is in the starting lineup in a year or two

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived