Brewer Fanatic

Marte suspended 80 games for PEDs

burnzy24
Not surprised. I am convinced over 50% of the league is using something and I personally couldn't care less. MLB is the only sport that is on a witch hunt to burn people.

Agreed completely. This is always my argument to the jackasses who boo Braun. Everyone is on something and pushing the envelope, that's why players today don't look like Ben Ogilvie or Robin Yount.

Sounds like an excuse to cheer for Braun and think he did no wrong.

Not sure if this is directed partially at me, but I cheer for the Brewers. I assume 50% or more of them are on something too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No witch hunt.....the league and the players union agreed that they wanted to get drugs out of the game. Clean players didn't want to be forced to use steroids to compete with juicers.

Glad to see cheaters get punished.....hopefully,it leads to less cheating.

Agree completely!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not sure if this is directed partially at me, but I cheer for the Brewers. I assume 50% or more of them are on something too.

It was more the rationalization of saying "Well everybody does it or blah blah blah" to make one feel better about Braun. If other players do it I don't know that really makes Ryan Braun a better person.

I cheer for Braun too, but I am not going to rationalize and make myself think Braun didn't do anything wrong with his PED fiasco. Everyone can move on, but don't try to sugar coat the past.

It was more the rationalization of saying "Well everybody does it or blah blah blah" to make one feel better about Braun. If other players do it I don't know that really makes Ryan Braun a better person.

I cheer for Braun too, but I am not going to rationalize and make myself think Braun didn't do anything wrong with his PED fiasco. Everyone can move on, but don't try to sugar coat the past.

At no time in my post did I refer to Braun, yet you inferred that's what I was thinking. I told you I wasnt, and yet again you inferred incorrectly. I'm not sugar coating anything. I just don't care about PEDs period.

I'll say it again. I cheer for the name on the front, not the back. Please don't assume you know what I'm thinking. You've been wrong twice here.

At no time in my post did I refer to Braun, yet you inferred that's what I was thinking. I told you I wasnt, and yet again you inferred incorrectly. I'm not sugar coating anything. I just don't care about PEDs period.

I'll say it again. I cheer for the name on the front, not the back. Please don't assume you know what I'm thinking. You've been wrong twice here.

So if you don't care about PEDs, you'd just as soon let them do whatever, at least put everyone on equal ground, basically pre-2000s again?

That seems dangerous to me. I don't get the emotional reaction to PED use that some do, and there are times I do think the witch hunt is over the top, but I wouldn't want my kid playing a sport where PED use was indirectly encouraged through lack of punishment. That just seems like a breeding ground for every player to put whatever substance in their body they can find to try to stay ahead of the next person.

Drug testing is about fairness and protecting player safety. It's essential to maintaining the integrity of the game.

There are thousands of passed drug tests every year and there are plenty of allowed supplements. No excuse to get caught.

Right but Braun and A-rod and those other guys that got suspended in that group didn't get caught by the testing. The league nailed them by an outside investigation. So it would seem to be reasonable to assume that plenty of drug use is still going on. Unless you think Dee Gordon and Marte used just that one time and just happened to also get caught.

Drug testing is about fairness and protecting player safety. It's essential to maintaining the integrity of the game.

There are thousands of passed drug tests every year and there are plenty of allowed supplements. No excuse to get caught.

Right but Braun and A-rod and those other guys that got suspended in that group didn't get caught by the testing. The league nailed them by an outside investigation. So it would seem to be reasonable to assume that plenty of drug use is still going on. Unless you think Dee Gordon and Marte used just that one time and just happened to also get caught.

But if what they're doing is so small that it doesn't even trip the strictest testing in the world, is it really that big a deal or something to be up in arms about acting like the game is fraud? I'd grant there's probably still plenty trying to find a way to beat it, but my main point would be that people with this concern should be much more concerned about other sports who have way laxer testing process. Logic being: If you're going to assume it's a massive problem in a sport with the strictest testing (which is also the least physical), then you better assume it's a much more significant problem in sports with less strict testing (and are much more physical sports). I don't get the obsession about baseball PEDs but when an NFL player gets suspended nobody bats an eye or cares. And in the NBA almost no one ever fails a test because their testing is laughable.

So if you don't care about PEDs, you'd just as soon let them do whatever, at least put everyone on equal ground, basically pre-2000s again?

That seems dangerous to me. I don't get the emotional reaction to PED use that some do, and there are times I do think the witch hunt is over the top, but I wouldn't want my kid playing a sport where PED use was indirectly encouraged through lack of punishment. That just seems like a breeding ground for every player to put whatever substance in their body they can find to try to stay ahead of the next person.

Basically correct. I think steroids are worse than other things guys are taking, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure. As I mentioned, I already think people are doing it anyways(throughout all sports), so it just isn't a big deal to me. I mean, look at other sports, guys get busted and you barely hear a peep about it. I mean, Von Miller got caught and the guy is still doing nationwide commercials and stuff. No one cares, but if it happens in baseball then suddenly it's a massive ordeal, and if someone doesn't care about it they are sugar coating it.

I think Braun is probably still taking something, and no, I don't have any data to back that up. Just my opinion.

I heard Anthony Rizzo say that he's not been tested since routine test at the start of spring training. Kind of surprised they aren't testing more (either that or the skeptic in me thinks MLB doesn't want to kill the Cubs feel good moments by nailing one of their heroes) but maybe they'll get more guys by giving them a false sense of security.

I don't give a rat's behind about PED's but MLB needs to stop parading around like conquering victors whenever they catch someone. It does no good for the sport. More NFL'ers get suspended every year for PED's than MLB players and barely a word is spoken about the players.

Exactly, said the same thing when they were on the witch hunt to catch people who didn't even fail tests, buying witnesses in very shady ways, etc. It's keeping the negative story alive so then everyone thinks it's a massive problem. It's just bad PR to be making such a big public deal about it. And

I cheer for the name on the front, not the back.

I agree with that, but PEDs are one of the reasons for me. The Brewers have had PED users, druggies, criminals, wife beaters, lairs, cheaters and jerks. That's why I root for the team and don't get too attached to any player.

I don't give a rat's behind about PED's but MLB needs to stop parading around like conquering victors whenever they catch someone. It does no good for the sport. More NFL'ers get suspended every year for PED's than MLB players and barely a word is spoken about the players.

What huge fantasy impact in the NFL has a suspended player had towards someone playing fantasy football? Von Miller would be 1 of 11+ that affects the defensive pts scored if you had Denver as your defense. Has a QB or RB who is elite ever been suspended?

I think that is why it isn't given much fuss when happens to a NFL player. Plus, what is it 4 games? 25% of the season vs 80 or near 50% in baseball where an owner of Marte or Dee Gordon is missing a huge player towards their fantasy stats. Starling Marte's suspension is equivalent to Le'veon Bell being suspended. Dee Gordon like Brandon Marshall. 16game season vs 162. Majority of suspensions in NFL do not impact fans outside of that team's fans.

I don't know what Marte is taking PED's for, he wasn't a player whose stats needing a push higher. Hurts Pittsburgh quite a bit as a WC type of team.

What huge fantasy impact in the NFL has a suspended player had towards someone playing fantasy football? Von Miller would be 1 of 11+ that affects the defensive pts scored if you had Denver as your defense. Has a QB or RB who is elite ever been suspended?

I think that is why it isn't given much fuss when happens to a NFL player. Plus, what is it 4 games? 25% of the season vs 80 or near 50% in baseball where an owner of Marte or Dee Gordon is missing a huge player towards their fantasy stats. Starling Marte's suspension is equivalent to Le'veon Bell being suspended. Dee Gordon like Brandon Marshall. 16game season vs 162. Majority of suspensions in NFL do not impact fans outside of that team's fans.

I don't know what Marte is taking PED's for, he wasn't a player whose stats needing a push higher. Hurts Pittsburgh quite a bit as a WC type of team.

I have no idea what he took, but is it possible he was taking something to help him stay healthy on the field? When I go to games I want to see the best players on the field...not Elian Herrera.

Just relooked my reply had nothing to do with you not sure why you thought it did. I replied to someone else not you. So calm down there man I wasn't inferring anything about you.

Just relooked my reply had nothing to do with you not sure why you thought it did. I replied to someone else not you. So calm down there man I wasn't inferring anything about you.

It's all good. The first time you quoted someone you left my original quote in there. That is why I asked if you directed that at me. Sorry for the confusion.

Basically correct. I think steroids are worse than other things guys are taking, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure. As I mentioned, I already think people are doing it anyways(throughout all sports), so it just isn't a big deal to me. I mean, look at other sports, guys get busted and you barely hear a peep about it. I mean, Von Miller got caught and the guy is still doing nationwide commercials and stuff. No one cares, but if it happens in baseball then suddenly it's a massive ordeal, and if someone doesn't care about it they are sugar coating it.

I think Braun is probably still taking something, and no, I don't have any data to back that up. Just my opinion.

That's a pretty good point about Von Miller. Miller even conspired with the collector to try to cheat the test and got caught, and no one even cares and his NFL image is barely scratched. Yet in MLB, 4 years later opposing fans still act like Braun is a convicted felon every time he comes to bat.

I have no idea what he took, but is it possible he was taking something to help him stay healthy on the field? When I go to games I want to see the best players on the field...not Elian Herrera.

A doping agent called nandrolone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone

Thanks. Like I mentioned. I didn't read a lot about it because I just don't care enough about the situation. When he returns I won't boo him, much like I don't boo any other player associated with PEDs.

That's a pretty good point about Von Miller. Miller even conspired with the collector to try to cheat the test and got caught, and no one even cares and his NFL image is barely scratched. Yet in MLB, 4 years later opposing fans still act like Braun is a convicted felon every time he comes to bat.

I think this subject deserves its own thread. The reason why football fans commonly accepts PED users and baseball fans excommunicate most users of PEDs. I believe the reasons are layered with baseball stats being sacred, the prominence of fantasy football and the expectation of football players being abnormally large but the double standard from the NFL to MLB is very apparent.

No witch hunt.....the league and the players union agreed that they wanted to get drugs out of the game. Clean players didn't want to be forced to use steroids to compete with juicers.

Glad to see cheaters get punished.....hopefully,it leads to less cheating.

Agree completely!

I have to admit - I chuckled when I saw this comment agreeing with punishing steroid cheaters coming from a poster with a Bud Selig avatar. He's as culpable for the "steroid era" as anyone.

Gruber Lawffices

PED's are a bigger deal in baseball than any other sport for a very good reason. First off; baseball was the very 1st team sport of national interest. It's the template for all others.

Secondly there's the magic numbers: 714 HRs, 61 HRs, .424 BA, 56 str. gms and 4,256 hits, for example. For decades these numbers were sacrosanct. Some have been eclipsed: Aaron, Maris with more ABs, McGwire and Bonds with steroids.

Those numbers and the stories behind them are part of American lore, the backbone of Cooperstown. It hurts baseball purists to see these numbers and stories besmirched.

Like boxing and horse racing, the game is slipping away...no longer in the same league with MMA, football and basketball. There are MANY reasons why this is so, but the easiest thing for baseball to do to stop the bleeding

is the steroid ban. They can't control anything else.

I don't think baseball fans really care that much more except one slight exception...super stars. The ones who are truly hated and booed are the elite ones that did it. It is just a lot more offensive when someone becomes a face of baseball Braun/A-Rod and helped get there by cheating. I don't think that same offense is taken when it is a lesser player. I mean sure A-Rod/Braun handling their situations quite horribly probably didn't help matters, but I bet both would still be hated/booed way more than other PED users regardless.

I don't see what is wrong with MLB caring more about PEDs. The players, owners, and fans all tend to support it overwelmingly. So what if the NFL doesn't care?

I don't think baseball fans really care that much more except one slight exception...super stars. The ones who are truly hated and booed are the elite ones that did it. It is just a lot more offensive when someone becomes a face of baseball Braun/A-Rod and helped get there by cheating. I don't think that same offense is taken when it is a lesser player. I mean sure A-Rod/Braun handling their situations quite horribly probably didn't help matters, but I bet both would still be hated/booed way more than other PED users regardless.

Good point on this. I kind of view at just something to hate on people about and give them grief. And with social media, internet, ESPN Stephan A type shows there's just tons of avenues to do it now or to get people fired up about something. For the most part most fans don't care specifically about the cheating/integrity of the game or even know which players are tied to it, other than superstars because they're famous. Then they can pick on them about just like they would about if the guy got DUIs, got dumped by a kardashian, or any personal life drama bs that gets out about athletes if that makes sense. To the old school writers and old timers, yea I bet they care legitimately about it but to a degree that's just a "back in my day" type take for some of them. Hope that makes sense

Archived