Brewer Fanatic

Thames

Just a slight correction, the Eaton trade didn't include Moncada. It still seemed like a high return at the time, but was with the Nationals for a return of Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, and Dane Dunning.

My mistake...Accidentally combined the Eaton and Sale deals. Giolito alone still seemed high to me. Good catch Eye Black!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an old thread, but what do you guys make of Aguilar? Not his WAR or his slash line....just how he looks? To me he LOOKS like he could be a really nice future 1st basemen....he has a good eye, a really nice easy swing, easy power. He's not a GG'er at 1st, but he's also definitely not going to embarrass himself.

I really think he could develop into a .285/.370/.480 type guy who hits ~30 HR's a year.

I'm not saying we move Thames who can't become a FA until...what is it...2022? I'm not totally clear if we'll still maintain a year of team control after his deal expires given his service time, I'm just asking what people think of Aguilar and if they think he could become a competent 1st division starting 1st basemen.

By mudseason, Thames might have the worst contract on the team. Everyone saw him and made an adjustment. Hopefully he can adjust. He has been brutal offensively.

That's a little over the top. He's slumping, but even if his settles into being an .850 OPS player, which he's still way over right now, he'd still have a good contract. Really the beauty of Thames' deal is that he could be a total bust and still not be a disaster for us financially.

Thames will be fine IMO. He's not going to be as good as the player we saw in April but he's not as bad as the player we've seen the last week or two. Just could use a little rest right now.

By mudseason, Thames might have the worst contract on the team. Everyone saw him and made an adjustment. Hopefully he can adjust. He has been brutal offensively.

No he won't. Thames is just fine.

Even during Thames slump...that is just arbitrarily going from May 10th when he was hitting .333, he's STILL posting an OBP of .327 despite hitting .132. Point, even during this small sample size in which you are suggesting the league has adjusted to him to the point where he may be the worst contract on the team at 4 million dollars, he's still getting on base and drawing walks.

Thames is fine. A guy starts out hot and unless their name is Trout, the league adjusts to them(in this case that means not throwing him strikes) and then said player adjusts. Thames was a great signing by any metric to this point.

All of this and he's been battling injuries and he's got a BABIP of roughly .200 during that time period. With guys like Moreland, Smoak and others signing for more money this past off-season, the Thames signing, even in the midst of a slump was a stroke of genius.

Archived