Brewer Fanatic

Thames

Yea, I think you're too optimistic on the rotation. I mean, even in a few years from now I doubt the Brewers will have an outstanding rotation. And that's ok, if they're just really solid there and really good offensively and defensively.

But to think Peralta, Nelson, and Anderson have turned the corner and they will be this good the rest of the year, and next year? No, I'm not buying it. Then IF Guerra can repeat his numbers this year and next, Davies can return to form, you get anything at all from Lopez.... I mean I just don't see all those "ifs" turning into a WS contending rotation this year or next.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone who is currently on the 25 man can be moved if you get top prospects in return. Anyone.

Well of course you will trade average-like players if we can get more Hader/Brinson in the system. I just don't think getting into those dream scenarios is all that likely. Are teams really going to sell the farm for Wily Peralta? Anyone who started arbitration this year or before I probably wouldn't be too scared to trade for a good offer, but guys controllable 2020 or beyound I would want a pretty phenominal offer. Those guys can be veteran cogs in a few years for us.

Of course this depends largely on a player by player basis and we are talking about this very generically as a whole.

Yea, every case is different. It's why Peralta and Nelson are still here. I'm sure there were offers, but if the offer is a couple mediocre prospects, no point in that anymore. But someone like Thames....man if he keeps hitting close to this (let's say .950ish) and someone offers a package similar to what we got for Gomez/Fiers or Lucroy/Jeffress, I would jump on that.

Reminds me of Joey Bat's resurgence in 2010. This gets me thinking though. You guys think Wladimir Balentien gets a shot now based on E.T.'s success (so far)?

I was wondering about him too after the WBC. He was locked in. Just did a quick Google of him to find his age (he's 31 going on 32) but he's got some domestic violence in his past. Not that that would prevent me from signing him but I wonder if that might be why his name is never brought up in rumors.

At this point with Thames' production, trading him should come with Stearns firing. You get an A player and walk away for Multiple B/C players you wish in the future, one turns in to an A.

Stearns has a solution with Thames' and advocating he create a problem because of age, or because Melvin's history for solutions didnt work out. Just going crazy here. 1b bats arent like they used to be. Getting an A player there to plug in the next 4years is essential for the rebuild. At this point, with his cost, and projecting that bat line forward, trade discussions are over. You have a winner. Aguilar should be the trade discussion. Remember what Jason Rogers brought back for nowhere near the success Aguilar is showing?

At this point with Thames' production, trading him should come with Stearns firing. You get an A player and walk away for Multiple B/C players you wish in the future, one turns in to an A.

Stearns has a solution with Thames' and advocating he create a problem because of age, or because Melvin's history for solutions didnt work out. Just going crazy here. 1b bats arent like they used to be. Getting an A player there to plug in the next 4years is essential for the rebuild. At this point, with his cost, and projecting that bat line forward, trade discussions are over. You have a winner. Aguilar should be the trade discussion. Remember what Jason Rogers brought back for nowhere near the success Aguilar is showing?

I'm not really advocating for Thames to be traded, I think the points for keeping him are good ones. But I think if Stearns signed an unknown from Korea for 5M a year, and then flipped him for top prospects months later, he'd be hailed as a genius, not fired.

I'm not sure Aguilar is worth anything. He's cooled off a lot since the start of the year, so there isn't much to go off on him other than a great spring. He's still a guy who was DFA a few months ago. Just because we suckered the Pirates with Jason Rogers doesn't mean a similar deal will be available again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Would not surprise me if the Stearns revisits the Braves mid July and offer Thames for whatever Braun vetoed.

Mike Soroka?!?!

Given that the Braves have Freeman, I'd say no that really doesn't work.

If they aren't worried about defense, Thames can play outfield.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sorry, but I don't agree with...well...any of that. Thames has been an A player (A + actually) for 3 weeks. If he's near this good in a few months, no, you don't trade him for B/C prospects. You trade him for A prospects. Guaranteed they'll become A MLB players? Of course not. But I can guarantee Thames won't be hitting .950 5 years from now.

I've listed players above who could play 1B, not to mention various options that present themselves. After all, Stearns has found three 1B the last two years. Stearns shouldn't call anyone about Thames. But if the phone rings with a serious offer, you take the call. (Unless it's from the Mets, then you put them on hold and leave for the day.)

A prospects may be like 2/3rds of the top 25 maybe even half. At that point you drop to B prospects sprinkled with some who may have a ceiling to be an A, or are just solid bets to remain a B. But none are sure things. If Thames is about to emerge with 45+ HR ability and a .300 avg ability nvm the OB, what are you searching for trading him? To cycle Talent sure. But we have him for 4years. Let's enjoy 3years of this with maybe a WS and come back to cycle talent with him when he'll be a FA to be. Weve got Prince Fielder bat it seems to bat behind Braun. You xant ask to find a higher talent than that to compliment Braun.

Weve got Prince Fielder bat it seems to bat behind Braun. You xant ask to find a higher talent than that to compliment Braun.

And what happened to Prince Fielder? That's why I would trade Thames. Far from remotely close to automatic that Thames can do this for a year, much less four. And no, I don't want anyone to compliment Braun, want to trade him too.

So we should just trade everyone because of what happened to Prince Fielder? That doesn't seem like very sound logic.

That's not my logic, no, I was responding to a reference made by another poster. I have already explained my reasoning for trading Thames for the right offer in several other posts. Pretty sure you won't find me saying they should trade everyone because they might get injured. Good straw man argument though.

It's April 18th and we're already debating trading a brand new Brewer. You guys would make good daytraders in the stock market. Can we at least enjoy being tied for the division lead and playing well for a month and then virtual trade some guys?

It's April 18th and we're already debating trading a brand new Brewer. You guys would make good daytraders in the stock market. Can we at least enjoy being tied for the division lead and playing well for a month and then virtual trade some guys?

If only you hadn't been held up and taken to your computer at gunpoint and forced to participate in this thread.

Seriously though, that's the purpose of this part of the forum. It was already discussed by some as soon as Thames was acquired whether or not the intent was to acquire him as a long-term option or whether he would quickly be considered as a trade asset.

It's April 18th and we're already debating trading a brand new Brewer. Can we at least enjoy being tied for the division lead and playing well for a month and then virtual trade some guys?

Why can't we do both? I have a car that I love, yet I know I will be trading it in next year. See? I can enjoy it while I have it, yet know I want to trade it soon.

Weve got Prince Fielder bat it seems to bat behind Braun. You xant ask to find a higher talent than that to compliment Braun.

And what happened to Prince Fielder? That's why I would trade Thames. Far from remotely close to automatic that Thames can do this for a year, much less four. And no, I don't want anyone to compliment Braun, want to trade him too.

The comparison to me with Fielder, is that here's a Lefty Bat who can play 1b and easily on a pace of 35HRs with a high OB batting behind Braun. What Fielder did in Milw behind Braun was near the tops of MLB in 7years. Both Thames/Braun can be here for 4years and produce like the duo Braun and Fielder. Thames isn't the body type Fielder was, yes a lot of muscle on both, but Thames is more fit(thus the OF capability)

Personally, I'm thinking the team can trade away pitching and actually improve down the stretch with who takes the places of Nelson/Peralta/Anderson/Davies or Guerra. Still continue a Playoff run while trading away pieces other teams may want.

Milw with calling tonight's current 7run total a total for Game 15: will have 72runs scored on the season as someone in the IGT said 4 batters at or below .200 at game start. No Thames won't continue with video game stats, but neither will Arcia, Shaw, Villar, and Broxton but up below Mendoza Line stats.

The offense is stupendous! Considering ourselves as a rebuilding team with needs to trade away their best Position Players is over. We're a competitive team today and will tweak the roster as need-be. Thames makes Bellinger for Braun laughable. At this point it is Ace SPs or watch the Brewers ride above .500 all year long.

Considering ourselves as a rebuilding team with needs to trade away their best Position Players is over. We're a competitive team today .

Again, 15 games. We did not go from a rebuilding team to a contender over the course of 15 games.

Considering ourselves as a rebuilding team with needs to trade away their best Position Players is over. We're a competitive team today .

Again, 15 games. We did not go from a rebuilding team to a contender over the course of 15 games.

Rebuilding teams win 70games and less with losses being by 5 runs or more. Competitive meaning being a .500 type of baseball team where the +/- runs will be around 0 or a +. We're +8 to this point. San Diego is -32.

We're a player or 2 away from becoming a Playoff caliber team. The 8 position players are producing offensively to be a playoff caliber team. The Pitching, you add two to the SP who would be 210IP 3.35 ERA would jump this team to playoff caliber. Because yeah 15 games of half of the 8 batters doing really good, with the other half being really bad. Those 4 cool down and the other 4 go back to average the Offense is still producing like it is now.

I think, for the most part, the reload is over. There may be a reliever trade, or minor deals, but I think he's done. I hope they keep Braun. He's a generational talent, and money isn't a concern at this point. Taking what's left of the Dodgers' system isn't value to me. I think he'll hang onto Thames as well, especially if he continues to produce, he ups the speed of the rebuild. You would now have an All-Star 1B. Hader and Woodruff should be up this year, Brinson is knocking on the door. The team is coming together. I don't believe the "World Series" team is going to be all of our prospects, I think it will start with some current members, and hopefully the farm will supplement as needed.

If Hader and Woodruff are legit, and enjoy early success. Our window starts with them, IMO. The "flip" stuff is over.

If Thames is for real, you have years of team control on two legitimate .900+ OPS guys in him and Braun, along with several guys who could be .800+ OPS guys in Santana, Shaw and Brinson. Villar has shown the ability to be a 20 HR / 60 SB threat, and both of our catchers (maybe all three) are capable MLB hitters. That could be a strong offense for years.

Meanwhile, Peralta and Nelson have the talent to be good pitchers, and they're finally showing some improvement. Anderson has a history as a guy who deserves to be in an MLB rotation, and Davies should be a decent middle-of-the-rotation starter. Plus, our most talented pitchers are still in the minors and will be emerging onto the scene starting this year.

All of this, and we have around $50-60M of free cash to spend to fill in any holes we may have. Picking up Thames looks to be a really good move that could have single-handedly moved the "competitive time horizon" up. The Gomez and Lucroy trades were other moves that already did that.

We are getting close to being good, and we have to be really careful not to make a move that could harm that. I wouldn't trade Thames for at least a few years unless I got a couple of guys back who look to be sure-thing superstars. We're not getting that in trade, so I'd just hold onto him and enjoy watching him play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived