Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 4/15

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Some impressive pitching tonight. Suter and Webb with 5 shutout innings and Ortiz with 5 no hit innings.

Don't overlook Barbosa's 2 hitless innings with 5 K's. He might just be the lefty bullpen arm they need in Milwaukee.

Interesting prospect. He's 29 and has K'd a lot of guys in his career but as is typical of hard throwers that can't quite make the jump he's walked a lot of guys too. Seems like last season he was able to find the zone a bit more often. Hope that continues.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know if the gun at five counties is accurate but I can tell you none of the pitchers in that game threw over 90 according to said gun. Now, I didn't check every pitch but I watched it fairly closely. Peralta sat 84/85 touching 88. Diplan sat 85/86 touching 90.

We didn't have great seats to judge location but I would have described Peralta as wild in the zone and Diplan as effectively wild. When Peralta missed, he got hit hard. Our seats were directly next the the bullpen mound and it was interesting to listen to the conversation between the pitching coach and Diplan just before he came into the game. They had a plan for Reyes but after that he was basically given a green light to work on whatever he felt he needed to work on while he was out there. We saw Wuilder Rodriguez warming up right next to Diplan for a stretch and I thought Rodriguez threw harder though Rodriguez was warming up to get Peralta out of trouble while Diplan was warming up for an extended appearance.

Offensively, Gatewood really looks the part. I was a little disappointed by the offense as a whole. Even the McDowell double was more a result of a bad route that the left fielder took on what should have been a moderately difficult catch. With the exception of one person I don't think any of the hitters looked overwhelmed. They just had, for whatever reason, a difficult time squaring up the ball in that game. Having said that, the "one person" would have been Trent Clark. At times he looked lost and the other times he looked overwhelmed. His bat looked slow. He actually did a full 360 on a swinging third strike at one point. He just seemed to be behind everything and never looked like he had a solid approach.

Just my (worth less than) two cents.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Some impressive pitching tonight. Suter and Webb with 5 shutout innings and Ortiz with 5 no hit innings.

Don't overlook Barbosa's 2 hitless innings with 5 K's. He might just be the lefty bullpen arm they need in Milwaukee.

Interesting prospect. He's 29 and has K'd a lot of guys in his career but as is typical of hard throwers that can't quite make the jump he's walked a lot of guys too. Seems like last season he was able to find the zone a bit more often. Hope that continues.

There's a lot of guys with lesser resumes who've gotten a shot at some point. Kind of surprising that Barbosa has barely pitched above AA. Sure his walk rate has been a bit high, but never outrageous and his WHIP and K rate are fine and quite good at AA.

Archived