Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire P Oliver Drake from Baltimore for PTBNL/cash

Brewcrewin07
Hard to argue with anything Stearns is doing when he's finding garbage like Broxton on the scrap heap. He's churning the mediocre talent in the hopes of catching a whopper. He's the anti Ted Thompson who almost never makes a move.

That's just not true about Thompson. He is always changing the bottom of the roster, especially the practice squad. I think stearns is pretty much exactly like Ted Thompson so far. He has used free agency judiciously by shopping the bargain basement isle and uses the bottom of the roster to cycle possible players through on a regular basis. He has not gone after players you have to pay a lot to because they are a recognized name like Lohse or Garza preferring instead to look for guys who are cheap with some potential like Guera or Thames. Most importantly I think they both have an eye for talent and are not afraid to trust their eye and make deals that others might not have seen. Thames to me is a perfect example of that. Setting aside the age factor- which to me is more about the differences in the systems in place in each sport than anything- he is the equivalent of all the NFL rookie free agents Ted is willing to give a roster spot to.

Thompson barely churns his roster, Stearns does considerably more. I like what Stearns does, as I liked what Ron Wolf did when he was the Packers GM. Stearns has the benefit, as did Wolf when he started with GB, of not having pressure for results like Thompson does. Once that pressure ratchets up Stearns won't do nearly as much churning as he does now, but, until then, he's doing exactly what he should be doing with the back end of the 40.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes I personally find the herd mentality of ganging up on JohnBriggs12 here distasteful. Disagree with him on opinions but leave the name calling out. Varying opinions are valued, to me, it gets me thinking, keeps my mind open to other points of view.

100% agree.

We are adults, bullying needs to stop.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Thompson barely churns his roster, Stearns does considerably more.

You are trying to compare different sports. That is like saying Thompson never makes deadline deals to improve the team, but Melvin did. Two totally different sports and quite frankly not comparable situations at all.

Hard to argue with anything Stearns is doing when he's finding garbage like Broxton on the scrap heap. He's churning the mediocre talent in the hopes of catching a whopper. He's the anti Ted Thompson who almost never makes a move.

That's just not true about Thompson. He is always changing the bottom of the roster, especially the practice squad. I think stearns is pretty much exactly like Ted Thompson so far. He has used free agency judiciously by shopping the bargain basement isle and uses the bottom of the roster to cycle possible players through on a regular basis. He has not gone after players you have to pay a lot to because they are a recognized name like Lohse or Garza preferring instead to look for guys who are cheap with some potential like Guera or Thames. Most importantly I think they both have an eye for talent and are not afraid to trust their eye and make deals that others might not have seen. Thames to me is a perfect example of that. Setting aside the age factor- which to me is more about the differences in the systems in place in each sport than anything- he is the equivalent of all the NFL rookie free agents Ted is willing to give a roster spot to.

Thompson barely churns his roster, Stearns does considerably more. I like what Stearns does, as I liked what Ron Wolf did when he was the Packers GM. Stearns has the benefit, as did Wolf when he started with GB, of not having pressure for results like Thompson does. Once that pressure ratchets up Stearns won't do nearly as much churning as he does now, but, until then, he's doing exactly what he should be doing with the back end of the 40.

I have to disagree pretty strongly on the "Thompson barely churns his roster" since it's factually incorrect. They are consistently one of the youngest teams in the league (3rd youngest the past two seasons), which you don't achieve unless you have high numbers of first year players replacing older guys considering they have an aging core group of players.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived