Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire P Oliver Drake from Baltimore for PTBNL/cash

Brewcrewin07

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stearns sure seems to love trading for old crap.

RobertR mentioned this, and I haven't been able to shake the feeling myself, that it sure seems like Stearns likes churning the bottom of the roster just to be doing something. Maybe there's a method to all the activity, but it sure seems like it would be really hard to get a handle on what a guy can/can't do when they're on the roster for a few weeks (or less!) and then they're gone again.

Drake has been pretty close to a dominating reliever at the AA/AAA levels for 5 years now....he is prone to giving up home runs at the big league level....to say he is an old player is just goofy...the guy is still developing...it is the same Guerra is a grizzled vet false flag nonsense

Considering we traded away all the good players on the team except for Braun and didn't bring up any young guys, I'm simply amazed at how good a shape the team is in right now. I don't really understand complaining about Stearns. He has done an amazing job with these little moves overall.

Hate The Drake
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Considering we traded away all the good players on the team except for Braun and didn't bring up any young guys, I'm simply amazed at how good a shape the team is in right now. I don't really understand complaining about Stearns. He has done an amazing job with these little moves overall.

I think overall Stearns has done a fair to good job. But it's also fair to question some of his moves. He absolutely has not been "perfect", and it's fair to point out that a lot of the bottom-roster churn is (at least on the surface) seemingly busy work for the appearance of being busy. We have guys who have been acquired and then DFA'd (multiple guys) who have never even put on uniforms.

It's fair to say "this move and this move and this move and this move were good moves. That move and that move were a bit puzzling". I don't have to agree with 100% of the moves he makes to think he's doing a good job. The two things can be mutually exclusive.

No, Stearns is not perfect. But here's what mining the bottom of the roster has produced: Broxton, Villar, Aguilar, Pina, Bandy, Guerra, Torres, Hughes, Marinez, and I'm probably forgetting someone from this year or last. Not to mention getting production at 1B from cheap players like Carter and now Thames. And another cheap closer in Feliz.

So I trust he's not making all these moves simply to act busy. He has a purpose, and hard to argue with the results as a whole.

I think overall Stearns has done a fair to good job. But it's also fair to question some of his moves. He absolutely has not been "perfect", and it's fair to point out that a lot of the bottom-roster churn is (at least on the surface) seemingly busy work for the appearance of being busy. We have guys who have been acquired and then DFA'd (multiple guys) who have never even put on uniforms.

It's fair to say "this move and this move and this move and this move were good moves. That move and that move were a bit puzzling". I don't have to agree with 100% of the moves he makes to think he's doing a good job. The two things can be mutually exclusive.

Agreed that I haven't agreed with all of his moves (nor is any GM going to hit on 100% of his moves.)

But I think quoting his job as 'fair to good' probably understates him.

He basically covered 1B, 2B, CF, C with average to above average MLB regulars for essentially nothing. You could kind of throw in 3B too if you consider Dubon the main return for Thornburg, although I'm not totally convinced yet Shaw will be an average or better starter. Half the starting lineup not even mentioning guys like Guerra, the pen, or any of the prospects.

So I trust he's not making all these moves simply to act busy. He has a purpose, and hard to argue with the results as a whole.

As I said, I'm definitely not arguing the results as a whole.

No, but you were questioning his bottom churning and how he's seemingly making moves just to look busy. I pointed out a pretty long list of bottom churn guys that have worked out. Point being, it's not for appearance, these moves have greatly improved the roster.

Cheap middle reliever who knows how to miss bats. Looks like a guy who could be worth taking a shot on.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hi Guys, new here! Read the forums years ago and recently got back into it. Grew up in Milwaukee a Brewers fan and recently moved back from Ohio and hopefully catch a bunch of games this summer. Love the Brewer discussions. Looks like Drake throws split finger fastball also which seems to be a trend with David Stearns acquisitions. Perhaps they see more value in that.

Hi Guys, new here! Read the forums years ago and recently got back into it. Grew up in Milwaukee a Brewers fan and recently moved back from Ohio and hopefully catch a bunch of games this summer. Love the Brewer discussions. Looks like Drake throws split finger fastball also which seems to be a trend with David Stearns acquisitions. Perhaps they see more value in that.

Who else throws a split outside of him and Guerra?

Archived