Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Pre-Season Edition

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

#1 ( - ) Lewis Brinson, OF, AAA Colorado Springs, Age 22

883 points (27 1st place votes) - 36 of 36 ballots

The right-handed hitting CF has all the tools to be an all-star - speed, power, athleticism, instincts. The guy just flat out looks like a star. But even stars need to stay healthy and show some patience at the plate. That’s been Brinson’s issues (along with too many strikeouts). If Lewis can keep producing like he did after he was acquired at the trade deadline, it should land him in Milwaukee by the trade deadline.

#2 ( - ) Josh Hader, LHP, AAA Colorado Springs, Age 23

858 points (6 1st place votes) - 36 of 36 ballots

Some analysts still aren’t sure where Hader profiles due some control issues. Some see him as a quality closer, while others feel he can be a top-of-the-rotation guy. The Brewers will keep Hader in the rotation and hope for the latter. Barring an implosion or injury, expect the lanky lefty in Milwaukee sometime this year.

#3 (+1) Isan Diaz, 2B/SS, A+ Carolina, Age 20

799 points (1 1st place vote) - 36 of 36 ballots

Expectations are high for Diaz after coming off a season where he lead the Midwest league in home runs, despite starting slowly. Diaz strikes out a lot, but he mitigates that by taking his walks, getting lots of extra base hits, and making hard contact. If Diaz can repeat - or even improve - on his 2016, he will be battling for the top spot on Brewer prospect lists.

#4 (+7) Lucas Erceg, 3B, A+ Carolina, Age 21

754 points (1 1st place vote) - 36 of 36 ballots

No player has vaulted up the rankings like Erceg since hitting .400 in the Pioneer League last summer. A nice spring has garnered him some major attention from national writers and analysts. Drafted for his plus hitting skills, Erceg has also impressed people on the field with his range, athleticism and strong arm (he was also a pitcher in college). As a college player, expect the Brewers to push Erceg quickly through the system if he continues to produce.

#5 (-2) Luis Ortiz, RHP, AA Biloxi, Age 21

731 points - 36 of 36 ballots

Ortiz fell a couple of spots in our poll due to the helium associated with Diaz and Erceg - rather than his own fault. He is a well-rounded pitcher, finding success at each step in the minor league ladder, who needs to build up his inning in 2017. Probably the thing that concerns baseball people most is Ortiz’s conditioning. He is a big guy, and some players are just fine with the extra weight, while others struggle because of it.

#6 ( - ) Corey Ray, OF, Age 22

726 points - 36 of 36 ballots

Ray hasn’t been assigned to a team yet as he is at extended Spring Training while he gets back into playing shape following offseason knee surgery. Expect him to head to A+ Carolina once he is ready. Some felt the Brewers were too aggressive with Ray last year - placing him at Brevard County once he had signed. In the month of July, he struggled with a .528 OPS. However, in August he produced an .819 OPS. With his elite athleticism and outstanding makeup, expect more of the latter in 2017 from Ray.

#7 (+1) Brandon Woodruff, RHP, AAA Colorado Springs, Age 24

705 points - 36 of 36 ballots

After an outstanding 2016, BF.net fans expect the big righty to continue to produce at Colorado Springs. Woodruff was viewed as a reliever out of college - a guy with good stuff but with questionable control (he walked 51 batters in 90 inning in his college career). But he has found a home as a starting pitcher, and his command just keeps improving. Like Hader, expect Woodruff to be in Milwaukee by the season’s end.

#8 (+1) Trent Clark, OF, A+ Carolina, Age 20

577 points - 36 of 36 ballots

After an injury-plagued 2016, Clark looks to get back on track in Carolina in the new year. A hamstring injury really affected Clark last year (he stole 25 bases in 2015, but only 5 last year) - and staying healthy will probably be the most important thing for the left handed outfielder.

#9 (new) Mauricio Dubon, SS/2B, AA Biloxi, Age 22.

559 points - 35 of 36 ballots

The centerpiece of the Tyler Thornburg trade this past offseason, Dubon broke out last year, hitting .323 and producing a .461 SLG% between A+ and AA. Always a solid hitter for average, Dubon has added a little pop the last couple of years - especially the latter half of 2016 at AA, where he hit 20 doubles, six triples and six HR in only 62 games. If he can keep hitting like that, Dubon will profile as a starting infielder as opposed to a utility player.

#10 ( - ) Marcos Diplan, RHP, A+ Carolina, Age 20

536 points - 36 of 36 ballots

For the talented Diplan, it will be about developing a third pitch in the next couple of years. His fastball and slider are above average, but he’ll need to come up some a viable changeup (as well as hone his command). If that happens - he’s a starting pitcher. If not, he likely ends up in the bullpen down the road.

#11 (-6) Phil Bickford, RHP, Currently on suspended list, Age 21

513 points - 35 of 36 ballots

Oh, Phil. Knucklehead. Bickford was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a ‘drug of abuse’ this off season - a disappointing result for an athlete who knows the risk involved (he tested positive for marijuana before the 2015 draft). When he returns, the Brewers are hoping that the outstanding command he had shown in the SF organization returns.

#12 (-5) Brett Phillips, OF, AAA Colorado Springs, Age 22

509 points - 35 of 36 ballots

This may be the make-or-break season for Phillips. Is he the player who had 60+ extra base hits in each of 2014 and 2015 while hitting over .300? Or is he the guy who hit .229 last year and struck out 154 times at AA? Well, I want the former player - but we will have to wait and see. With his cannon arm, Phillips doesn’t need to hit .300 to be a valuable starter. But if he doesn’t improve on his 2016 performance, the shine will certainly be off his star. The five position drop over the off season shows the uneasiness of BF.net voters.

#13 ( - ) Cody Ponce, RHP, A+ Carolina, Age 22

368 points - 35 of 36 ballots

I want a healthy Cody Ponce. The big righty has a well rounded arsenal, but has struggled to stay on the field as a pro. He had shoulder fatigue in 2015, then last year he had forearm fatigue. That’s lead to only 123 innings of work over his first two seasons. Ponce does a lot of things well - but you have to love the minuscule walk rate (only 26 walks given up as a pro). He has, however, been very hittable at times. A healthy Ponce should carve up Carolina and end up in Biloxi by mid-season.

#14 (+3) Ryan Cordell, OF, AAA Colorado Springs, Age 25

362 points - 32 of 36 ballots

A nice spring helped push Cordell up the rankings three spots. There are legitimate concerns about Cordell’s contact rate, but he’s an athletic guy who has a nice blend of speed and power. His ability to play all three outfield positions should at least get him a shot as a backup outfielder in the future.

#15 (-3) Jorge Lopez, RHP, AA Biloxi, Age 24

358 points - 31 of 36 ballots

Most of 2016 was a disaster for Lopez - as his 7.49 ERA at Colorado Springs will attest to. But the tall righty found his groove back in Biloxi late in the season, and had a nice winter campaign in Puerto Rico (1.56 ERA in 34.2 inning). For Jorge, it’s about command. He’s got three good pitches and quality stuff - but throughout his career he’s been inconsistent with his command. Let’s hope he puts it together.

#16 (-2) Gilbert Lara, SS, A Wisconsin, Age 19

254 points - 31 of 36 ballots

People just aren’t sure of what to make of Gilbert Lara. There’s a ton of raw power in the young man, but he’s failed to translate it into game situations. He’s been described as stiff and uncomfortable as a hitter - then he’ll launch a bomb that makes scouts salivate. Lara is only 19 - but he’s got three years of development under his belt. If he fails to produce in 2017, he will likely tumble down the ranks of Brewer prospects.

#17 (-1) Freddy Peralta, RHP, A+ Carolina, Age 20

248 points - 32 of 36 ballots

Peralta represents all that is solid and unexciting about a prospect. He does everything pretty well, but nothing great. His excellent performance at Wisconsin last year was tempered by poor numbers when promoted to Brevard County. Not a big guy, Peralta needs to find a bit more consistency if he wants to stay in the rotation as he moves to the upper minors.

#18 (-3) Jacob Nottingham, C, AA Biloxi, Age 22

231 points - 33 of 36 ballots

I can feel the apprehension in the votes for Jacob Nottingham. No one wants to dismiss a once heralded prospect, but Nottingham’s mediocre performance in 2016 is causing angst for many. After tearing up A ball in 2015, Nottingham regressed as a hitter last season. But more troubling was his failure to step up his game behind the plate. Most scouts are skeptical of his future there - and that would necessitate a move to another position (likely 1B) - where his bat just isn’t that good (at least at this point). On the positive side, Nottingham has been pushed hard - and repeating AA might help him regain his mojo. 2017 will be telling.

#19 (+1) Monte Harrison, OF, A- Wisconsin, Age 21

220 points - 27 of 36 ballots

If you wanted to sculpt an athlete, Harrison wouldn’t be a bad model. Harrison has all the traits you’d want in a baseball player, but he has not been able to put those things together to be successful. Injuries have, no doubt, hobbled Harrison’s development. But at some point he needs to start producing. He has looked good this spring, so let’s hope Monte can stay healthy and put up some good numbers in his third go-around at Wisconsin.

#20 (-1) Corbin Burnes, RHP, A+ Carolina, Age 22

205 points - 27 of 36 ballots

Burnes surprisingly fell to the Brewers in the 4th round in last year’s draft. He cruised through his debut campaign - not a surprise as an advanced college arm. He is an athletic player with a good fastball - although his control has been nothing special.

#21 ( - ) Nathan Kirby, LHP, Age 23

191 points - 24 of 36 ballots

It’s been two years since the Brewers made Kirby a #1 pick (40th overall). Tommy John surgery has limited him to just 12.2 innings since that time, but Kirby should be back on the mound in early 2017 (he is currently at extended Spring Training). An advanced college pitcher, Kirby will likely start low on the minor league ladder, but move quickly as he show’s he is healthy.

#22 (+12) Taylor Williams, RHP, AA Biloxi, Age 25

160 points - 21 of 36 ballots

Two years ago Williams was the talk of Spring Training, flashing a big fastball and an aggressive approach on the mound. Ryan Braun said to Williams, “You might have the best stuff of any pitcher in camp.” Insert two long years and a Tommy John surgery, and Williams is finally back. He looked so impressive in the off season, the Brewers placed him on the 40-man roster to prevent someone from taking him in the Rule Five draft. Watch for Williams to be eased back onto the mound in 2017 as they build back up his arm strength and stamina.

#23 ( - ) Jake Gatewood, 3B/1B, A+ Carolina, Age 21

159 points - 24 of 36 ballots

2017 may be the year we see the real Gatewood. Will he continue to produce middling results? Or can he get his game together and emerge as a viable prospect? The Brewers have worked at great lengths with Gatewood to try and get his mechanics to a place that will cut down his swing-and-miss issues - but also let him tap into his considerable raw power. A classic boom or bust guy - Gatewood should be fun to watch in 2017.

#24 (-6) Kodi Medeiros, LHP, A+ Carolina, Age 20

115 points - 19 of 36 ballots

The Brewers top pick from the 2014 continues to tumble down the prospect ranks. Nothing went right for Medeiros in 2016. Injuries - coupled with poor control - resulted in a poor season. His streaks of dominance are often followed by two or three sub-par outings - making him a frustrating player to analyze. Many scouts see a move to the bullpen in the near future, where Kodi could be an effective force.

#25 (-1) Demi Orimoloye, OF, A+ Wisconsin, Age 20

81 points - 17 of 36 ballots

Orimoloye is a quintessential project. There is all sorts to love about the guy - including speed and power - but he is very raw. Like Gatewood, Orimoloye is a lottery ticket. Also like Gatewood, he will be fun to watch in 2017.

All ages are as of April 13, 2017.

The rest

Mario Feliciano - 51 points

Brent Suter - 50

Jon Perrin - 48

Braden Webb - 43

Jacob Barnes - 38

Josh Pennington - 37

Troy Stokes - 35

Wei-Chung Wang - 31

Jordan Yamamoto - 30

Ronnie Gideon - 28

Trey Supak - 28

Devin Williams - 24

Garrett Cooper - 22

Clint Coulter - 21

Michael Reed - 16

Gabriel Garcia - 16

Joantgel Segovia - 13

Jean Carmona - 10

Chad McClanahan - 8

Mitch Ghelfi - 7

Kyle Wren - 7

Zack Brown - 7

Wes Wilson - 4

Yhonathan Barrios - 4

Blake Lillis - 4

Aaron Wilkerson - 3

Max McDowell - 3

Nash Walters - 3

Tyrone Taylor - 2

Adrian Houser - 1

Dustin Houle - 1

Thomas Jankins - 1

Jesus Aguilar - 1

Luis Aviles - 1

Full voting thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=35024

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2017 Pre-Season BF.net Community Top 25 is complete. We had 36 ballots. Thanks very much for everyone’s input.

Lewis Brinson took the top spot on 27 of the 36 ballots. Josh Hader, Isan Diaz, Lucas Erceg and Brett Suter each had one.

Newcomers to Top 25: Mauricio Dubon (new at #9), T. Williams (re-entry at #22), Orimoloye (re-entry at #25)

Exited the Top 25: Wei-Chung Wang (fell to #33), Brent Suter (fell to #27), Delvin Williams (fell to #37)

Number of ballots: 36

Number of players on ballots: 59

Mr. Irrelevant (1 point): Luis Aviles, Jesus Aguilar, Thomas Jankins, Dustin Houle, Adrian Houser

Risers: Taylor Williams (12 spots), Erceg (7 spots), Cordell (3 spots)

Fallers: D. Williams (15 spots), Wang (8 spots), Bickford (6 spots), Medeiros (6 spots), Phillips (6 spots)

Players with a decent chance to be ineligible for the next poll: Jacob Barnes, Brent Suter

If you see any mistakes, please let me know. Sometimes autocorrect will trick me. Other times I just mess something up. I will update as needed.

We'll likely do a new list after the trade deadline.

Notes from the 2017 pre-season poll:

- All opinions in the write ups are my own.

- I noticed a distinct tier of players. They went as follows:

-- Tier 1 - Brinson, Hader, Diaz, Erceg, Ortiz, Ray, Woodruff

-- Tier 2 - Clark, Dubon, Diplan, Bickford, Phillips

-- Tier 3 - Ponce, Cordell, Lopez

-- Tier 4 - the rest

- Former NY Jet quarterback Chad Pennington received a vote.

- I am sorry to say that I had to look up who Thomas Jankins and Jean Carmona were.

- Brent Suter is at 25 innings pitched as he inches toward losing his prospect status

- I think Jacob Barnes got forgotten by many since he is in the big leagues.

- Sad to see Tyrone Taylor get one vote.

Loved everything you said about Brinson, except the part about being LH ; )

Hah! I do that every time. For some reason I get something stuck in my head like that and don't bother to check it. I think I made Medeiros a right hander one time.

That Suter vote for #1 has to be a typo. :)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Debate the ceiling of these guys, but if Hader/Lopez/Woodruff are your #1-3, then fill in Davies as the #4 and one of Taylor Williams (if he can stretch out)/Lopez/Perrin/Jungmann/Wilkerson as your #5, that's a pretty darned good rotation.

Leaves a lot of flexibility with what to do with Peralta, Nelson and Anderson.

Notes from the 2017 pre-season poll:

- I think Jacob Barnes got forgotten by many since he is in the big leagues.

I ended up voting for Barnes but in hindsight should have voted for Pina as well since we don't have an age limit. Would be great if he ended up winning ROY but didn't get a single vote here.

Can I just say that Gatewood has an 8:13 bb/k ratio in just over 40PAs to start this season when he only had 18bbs all of last season?

Hader, Diplan, Woodruff, Lopez, Cody Ponce!! 0:10bb/k, Burns, and Harrison off to running starts. Trey Supak as well!

This organization is about to leap right off the modest rankings and jump to #1 by mid-year. Woodruff's 0ERA in 2 starts, after his season last year is going to create pressure to get him up on the ML team.

I think there's a good chance that Supak ends up being the biggest riser when it comes time for the next list to be done.

I feel like that is going to be a pretty crowded group vying for that award. Just a hunch, but I would predict the catcher holding his own in the Midwest league at 18 years old is probably going to get that award. Honestly he has been insanely incredible considering his stats, age, and the fact he is a catcher. If his stats are even close to what they are now he probably ends up in the Top 15.

For people already in the Top 25 Orimoloye, Gatewood, and Harrison could be pretty big risers.

I think there's a good chance that Supak ends up being the biggest riser when it comes time for the next list to be done.

I feel like that is going to be a pretty crowded group vying for that award. Just a hunch, but I would predict the catcher holding his own in the Midwest league at 18 years old is probably going to get that award. Honestly he has been insanely incredible considering his stats, age, and the fact he is a catcher. If his stats are even close to what they are now he probably ends up in the Top 15.

For people already in the Top 25 Orimoloye, Gatewood, and Harrison could be pretty big risers.

When I wrote that I'll admit I didn't think Feliciano would be able to keep up that pace for even this long. I still think Supak's in the conversation along with the guys you mentioned, though (as well as possibly Stokes, who just keeps on hitting). A better than 5-1 K/BB ratio and a sub-1 WHIP will play, especially for a guy who supposedly has decent upside. You're right, though, it should be a pretty packed competition.

Lots of fun so far this year to watch the minor league teams. They've hit their bad streaks (sucks to see Erceg struggling) but for every player underperforming right now it seems like there are 2 others who are doing great.

That AAA outfield in particular has been a real source of joy watching the box scores every day.

Will Gideon go from #4 on one guy's list to completely off his list by the time of the next vote? Silly ranking being proven silly

Well it is a community ranking and the more people that vote I think the better the list. As has been seen in the past a guy can be ranked #1 by an individual and still not end up in our top 25 so overall we still do a real good job as a whole.

I know this is reactionary based on a month and obviously not official, but if I had to update my top 10 Brewer prospects today based on what we've seen so far this season, I'd go

1) Brinson

2) Woodruff

3) Diaz

4) Hader

5) Ray

6) Phillips

7) Cordell

8) Lopez

9) Ortiz

10) Clark

Exciting thing is I think 6 of these guys at least could come in and be effective big leaguers right now.

It's certainly a lot more fun to watch the Minor League box scores so far this season than it was last season.

To be sure, there are quite a few clunkers out there (Gilbert Lara and Jacob Nottingham UGH), but pitching throughout the organization has been pretty exceptional and there have been quite a few great success stories up to this point in the CS/Carolina lineups.

Archived