Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-12: Brewers (Anderson) at Blue Jays (Stroman) 6:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-0, in just 2:14]

hawing
So is the rule now 100 pitches or 7 innings, whichever comes first?

Don't get why you pull Anderson at 89 pitches when he was cruising...

I would actually argue that getting up and down 8 times is worse than the 100 pitch total. I'm guessing that's what's crossing Counsell's mind early in this season.

Based on what?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's 2nd or bust for Villar. You could stick him at SS and his bat would play very well there, but it'd be tough to hide his glove.

Jonathan Villar was servicable at SS and quite a player the way he hit last year. Right now he is struggling heavily with some of the different ways he has to turn DPs and throw in general at 2B that he didn't really do at SS. He racked up quite a few errors, but he had the range/arm to make up for a lot of it.

I think I read that the advance stats said he was horrible at SS last year. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's 2nd or bust for Villar. You could stick him at SS and his bat would play very well there, but it'd be tough to hide his glove.

Jonathan Villar was servicable at SS and quite a player the way he hit last year. Right now he is struggling heavily with some of the different ways he has to turn DPs and throw in general at 2B that he didn't really do at SS. He racked up quite a few errors, but he had the range/arm to make up for a lot of it.

I think I read that the advance stats said he was horrible at SS last year. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Horrible is relative. Was he "Ryan Braun at 3B" horrible? No, and he was better than Yuni B. But he was certainly below average by MLB standards

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Winners again in Toronto! Fun stuff. On to Cincy where the Brewers need to establish dominance over them.

We will sweep the Reds, I'm calling it. I think the Brewers are sneaky good. Just a great lineup offensively. Not one hitter I cringe or not look forward to. Maybe Bandy or Kirk.

Villar's defense lapses can't be explained by a weird throwing angle to first when most of his errors have come from just flat-out dropping the baseball. Lackadaisical play, mainly; it's like he's trying to emulate Robinson Cano sometimes. This sort of nonchalant style of play that only a few players could pull off.

I would actually argue that getting up and down 8 times is worse than the 100 pitch total. I'm guessing that's what's crossing Counsell's mind early in this season.

I'd argue. It's the long innings, deep counts, managing base runners, and pitching out of the stretch with RISP that burns your arm up.... not jogging to the dugout after a clean inning.

For me the single most exhausting situation was a guy fouling off multiple 2 strike pitches, while pitching out of the stretch, with RISP.... multiple consecutive max effort pitches, from the stretch. 4 pitches like that is worse than a whole inning without base runners.

Keep in mind it is April too. Guys just aren't quite as stretched out. Even in a clean inning you usually throw 11-15 pitches or so, so to send him out you have to be comfortable with him throwing 104 pitches or so. Maybe he just isn't there yet in just his 2nd start.

In the case of last night his command started to slip in the last inning. My guess is they didn't want to take a chance on ruining a good outing when the bullpen was in relatively good shape.

Winners again in Toronto! Fun stuff. On to Cincy where the Brewers need to establish dominance over them.

We will sweep the Reds, I'm calling it. I think the Brewers are sneaky good. Just a great lineup offensively. Not one hitter I cringe or not look forward to. Maybe Bandy or Kirk.

What has Bandy done to upset you? He's hitting . 278 with a .864 OPS and a HR.

In a rebuilding year it is smart to take Anderson out before he's running on fumes (actually I believe it is always smart to do that but that is perhaps another topic)

I cringe when I think of all the meaningless innings Ben Sheets threw in his early career. And by the time the Brewers finally made the playoffs, Sheets was done. Every pitcher has a limited amount of bullets, folks!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What has Bandy done to upset you? He's hitting . 278 with a .864 OPS and a HR.

Haha nothing! I guess I just didn't have enough familiarity! Boy our catchers are stellar right now!~

ALSO, the Reds are 7-2?? Maybe Brewers won't sweep.

Archived