Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-11: Brewers (Peralta) at Blue Jays (Happ) 6:07 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3]

hawing
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there anywhere you can put Villar defensively? This is one of the worst overall starts you can have to a season.

It's tough but they're doing the right thing in waiting it out and giving him the whole season there. Got to give him a long leash there if for no other reason than he's the guy there and will be for awhile. Isan Diaz is a long ways from the bigs.

Is there anywhere you can put Villar defensively? This is one of the worst overall starts you can have to a season.

It's tough but they're doing the right thing in waiting it out and giving him the whole season there. Got to give him a long leash there if for no other reason than he's the guy there and will be for awhile. Isan Diaz is a long ways from the bigs.

Well yeah, and the goal isn't really to win games yet anyway, so it'd be better to wait it out and see if Villar can gain some value. It's just amazing how bad of a first week it's been for him at the plate with the ridiculous k/BB ratio and in the field.

Reminds me of strike zones from 15 years ago or so. Some days the corners were wide open. Today, if an ump is off by an inch or two its surprising.

I saw some video recently of Greg Maddux pitching and was lol'ing at some of the calls he'd get. I didn't realize how wide the zones were, especially for him. Even at the time people complained how wide they are.

I think umpires do a pretty good job behind home plate. Usually my frustrations come when they're not consistent throughout a game. I know accurate pitchers can expand corners but the inconsistency is what drives me nuts.

I've been amazed the last few years about how uniform the strike zone has become, so much so that a guy tonight calling an inch or two off the outside corner is really noticeable. It's not talked about as much but I think umpiring behind the plate has gotten a lot better in recent years. In the field not so much.

Reminds me of strike zones from 15 years ago or so. Some days the corners were wide open. Today, if an ump is off by an inch or two its surprising.

I saw some video recently of Greg Maddux pitching and was lol'ing at some of the calls he'd get. I didn't realize how wide the zones were, especially for him. Even at the time people complained how wide they are.

I think umpires do a pretty good job behind home plate. Usually my frustrations come when they're not consistent throughout a game. I know accurate pitchers can expand corners but the inconsistency is what drives me nuts.

I agree with this, but it seems kind of funny to me that this is the expectation. The strike zone isn't supposed to be subjective, with each ump calling it a different way. Seems to me we should be expecting them to call it right, not just call it consistent.

I've been amazed the last few years about how uniform the strike zone has become, so much so that a guy tonight calling an inch or two off the outside corner is really noticeable. It's not talked about as much but I think umpiring behind the plate has gotten a lot better in recent years. In the field not so much.

For the most part the corners seem to be a lot more uniform than in past years, with like you guys said much tighter corners than in years past. The top and bottom of the strike zone still seem to be called rather subjectively to me.

The strike zone isn't supposed to be subjective, with each ump calling it a different way. Seems to me we should be expecting them to call it right, not just call it consistent.

I agree; but, umps are different heights and see strike zones at different angles and with varying vision. In a perfect world, the strike zone should be the same across the board. I like a little variation from umpire to umpire, but not variation within the zone of an umpire.

101 on that last pitch... is this accurate?

Yes and no. They are measuring pitch speed differently this year, it's now measured at its fastest point, rather than where it was about 5 feet from the pitcher. So pitch speeds have been inflated a bit, but 101 is still humming.

The strike zone isn't supposed to be subjective, with each ump calling it a different way. Seems to me we should be expecting them to call it right, not just call it consistent.

I agree; but, umps are different heights and see strike zones at different angles and with varying vision. In a perfect world, the strike zone should be the same across the board. I like a little variation from umpire to umpire, but not variation within the zone of an umpire.

One positive to tonight's home plate ump was that outside corner was wide open all night long. I agree though, it's all about consistency.

Archived