Brewer Fanatic

Truth or Overreaction?

adambr2

Villar's settled down defensively, but he's not hitting a lick and not getting on base. Too many of Thames' HR have been solo shots.

Better question: Truth or overreaction: Villar was a one year wonder and will never produce offensively close to his 2016 season. My answer is truth. He won't be this bad all year of course but I don't see him coming to close to his 2016.

Broxton's struggles at the plate are less alarming only because Brinson's waiting in the wings. Here's the question though:

Truth or overreaction: Brinson will be up playing CF by June 15th. I'm on the fence. They need much better production from CF than they're getting from Broxton/Kirk. But they could stick Perez out there and delay Brinson until All Star break.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Villar's settled down defensively, but he's not hitting a lick and not getting on base. Too many of Thames' HR have been solo shots.

Better question: Truth or overreaction: Villar was a one year wonder and will never produce offensively close to his 2016 season. My answer is truth. He won't be this bad all year of course but I don't see him coming to close to his 2016.

Broxton's struggles at the plate are less alarming only because Brinson's waiting in the wings. Here's the question though:

Truth or overreaction: Brinson will be up playing CF by June 15th. I'm on the fence. They need much better production from CF than they're getting from Broxton/Kirk. But they could stick Perez out there and delay Brinson until All Star game.

It's been 14 games - roughly two weeks. If either Broxton or Villar had this kind of run offensively in July no one would even notice. But since it's April and you see the 1 at the beginning of their batting average it stands out much more.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Truth or overreaction: Brinson will be up playing CF by June 15th. I'm on the fence. They need much better production from CF than they're getting from Broxton/Kirk. But they could stick Perez out there and delay Brinson until All Star game.

It's been 14 games - roughly two weeks. If either Broxton or Villar had this kind of run offensively in July no one would even notice. But since it's April and you see the 1 at the beginning of their batting average it stands out much more.

You are kidding right? Villar is 8 for 60 and that wouldn't be noticed in July? If he were hitting say .280 through 350 ABs and went 8 for 60, his average would drop to .259. At the start of the season, Villar was a .285 hitter as a Brewer with a .369 OBP. His "small sample" slump have dropped those numbers to .271 and .355, not insignificant drops. Broxton is 5 for 38 with 19 K's. That would be noticed any point in the season especially for a guy with a history of contact issues early in his career.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You are kidding right? Villar is 8 for 60 and that wouldn't be noticed in July? If he were hitting say .280 through 350 ABs and went 8 for 60, his average would drop to .259.

And I doubt many people would say anything. At that point people might start to at least keep an eye on him but even still...most people look at the current average rather than what the average was two weeks earlier.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't overreact to any struggles any player has in April. Been playing fantasy baseball way too long and seen way too many good and even great players who just can't find it early in April. I'm more worried about Broxton than Villar because Broxton has never been productive as long as Villar was last year. Maybe the Ks are back for Villar and he drops 20 points in average but more likely he is struggling and just trying to swing his way out of the slump when he should be trying to go deeper into counts.

Archived