Brewer Fanatic

Magnifico DFA'd; Goforth's contact purchased; Goforth DFA'd, Magnifico traded to Orioles for int'l bonus slot

I don't get this. First of all, the contract was purchased, but was he simply placed on the 40-man or called up? I see no MLB player with a roster change. Doesn't make sense.

Secondly, Goforth has never looked good in the majors. maybe this was just to get Magnifico to stay in the minors while off the 40-man due to other teams' lack of available roster spots. Sure seems like he had more upside that Goforth

I don't get this. First of all, the contract was purchased, but was he simply placed on the 40-man or called up? I see no MLB player with a roster change. Doesn't make sense.

Secondly, Goforth has never looked good in the majors. maybe this was just to get Magnifico to stay in the minors while off the 40-man due to other teams' lack of available roster spots. Sure seems like he had more upside that Goforth

Suter was sent down after the game last night, Goforth up. Why Goforth, no idea.

I understand why this did this, but this move is horrible. Goforth is nothing special and I would rather have had Cravy, Scahill, or Mangnifico up instead in a heart beat

from brewers.com "By rule, teams cannot recall a 40-man roster player within 10 days of Opening Day, unless he is replacing an injured player. So that explains why the Brewers added Goforth, 28, and designated Magnifico, rather than simply call up Magnifico."

i would have still DFA'd Rivera and kept Magnifico on the 40 man. i understand why Schaill wasn't brought up. the brewers can bring Rob up on Thursday and send Gofoth back down which i wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

i would have still DFA'd Rivera and kept Magnifico on the 40 man. i understand why Schaill wasn't brought up. the brewers can bring Rob up on Thursday and send Gofoth back down which i wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

This. With the pickup of Franklin, Rivera is expendable.

The value of Yadiel Rivera is in the fact he still has options(I believe) and can come up when a middle infielder injury happens and be sent down all year long. I'm guessing Nick Franklin doesn't so he wouldn't hold that same value. Even then though we have so much versatility I don't know if we need a guy in AAA to bounce around and even then we can find any scrub to suck like Rivera.

If he does have an option(s) then I don't really get the need for Rivera entirely.

This. With the pickup of Franklin, Rivera is expendable.

very much so especially with De Jesus in Colorado Springs

I agree in the fact that Goforth was called up for a multiple Inn role. Its not like the bullpen isnt already pushing on the overuse to this point. Plus theres the, what was the usage of the guys to chose on a call up? Some say Scahill should got his chance, well did he pitch Friday or Saturday? Starting the season at home 7days when you have a roof, means none will be cancelled. Meanwhile, I want to say St. Louis, Pitts, Cubs to name a few experienced a suspended game. And a few teams had a day off. So early on Milw and Counsell are dealing with SP pitch counts, added bullpen use, and no days off for 7games. #1 starter down after a few innings, 1 extra inning game.

Probably need to give some roster decisions a break, after this 1st week's events

I think most of us forgot the ten day rule but still having a hard time realizing why and how Millione made this team

I'd guess they kept Milone as a LHP in the pen who could serve as protection in case a starter got hurt until the point in the season hit where they were ready to start the clock on a promising prospect. We've had a pretty bad start, with our #1 getting hurt early in his first start, and our #2 guy getting shelled. Milone and Suter have both looked pretty bad, and our rotation needs help, so I think it's time to call Lopez back up to see how he does.

Much of this also comes down to the schedule. People talk about spring training being too long, but pitchers still aren't 100% ready when the season opens. That's why teams usually get extra days off early in the season. For some reason, the schedule-makers decided to stick it to the Brewers a bit this year and not give them much rest for the first month while facing the best offenses in the league. That mixed with some injuries and under-performance could end up costing us Magnifico.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think most of us forgot the ten day rule but still having a hard time realizing why and how Millione made this team
Much of this also comes down to the schedule. People talk about spring training being too long, but pitchers still aren't 100% ready when the season opens. That's why teams usually get extra days off early in the season. For some reason, the schedule-makers decided to stick it to the Brewers a bit this year and not give them much rest for the first month while facing the best offenses in the league. That mixed with some injuries and under-performance could end up costing us Magnifico.

I'm pretty sure the extra days off is because of the unpredictable weather to allow teams to reschedule games early instead of forcing double headers later in the season and the Brewers first 7 games are indoors. They only play 2 outdoor series the whole month.

I'm pretty sure the extra days off is because of the unpredictable weather to allow teams to reschedule games early instead of forcing double headers later in the season and the Brewers first 7 games are indoors. They only play 2 outdoor series the whole month.

Yeah, I don't think the schedule makers "stuck it" to the Brewers. Most teams would rather have the days off later in the season, and to have that you need to play them in April. If Guerra doesn't get hurt and pitches 12 innings so far this year, it wouldn't even be an issue.

This schedule absolutely stinks for the Brewers if they wanted to compete this year. Since we don't care about that it isn't a big deal. I would much rather have more days off early than late. You have things sorted out late and can react to it, early in the season having no time off is just awful.

This schedule absolutely stinks for the Brewers if they wanted to compete this year. Since we don't care about that it isn't a big deal. I would much rather have more days off early than late. You have things sorted out late and can react to it, early in the season having no time off is just awful.

i disagree, in september you never run out of pitchers with the expanded rosters, playing at Miller Park gave the brewers a slight disadvantage that no off days were built into the schedule like the cubs have to do each year.

Losing Guerra was big even if he not a true #1 he was our best pitcher and Davies has struggled in his first two starts maybe putting too much pressure on himself. But when you have to replace your best starter with someone like Milone who is at your best the 6-7 starter this is what you get you in trouble. Hopefully Davies turns it around and we get solid outing from Perelta, Anderson and Nelson

The Brewers pick up an additional $885,300 in International spending money (added to their previous $5.25 million allotment) which I believe means as of right now they have more International dollars to spend than any other team.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived