Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-09: Cubs (Arrieta) at Brewers (Davies) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-4]

hawing
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davies had a 3.38 Era in sept/oct last year and some of his best peripherals. He was awful in April and bad in august. Other 4 months he pitched like a #1 or #2 guy. He obviously doesn't have good control yet but that is really common for pitchers in April.

You would hope this is something he can fix in the future but some guys just take longer than others to get sharp to start a season.

It does show how poorly Davies stuff plays when he doesn't have control. It probably means every time his control struggles you are going to see a bump in ERA and it probably limits him to a future #3 starter as upside.

Braun is always competing. What a catch!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hope those of you who crucify Villar for defense do the same to Perez for that play.

Yes sir, will do (I'm a little behind, watching on DVR. Schwarber just homered to make it 5-0 here)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yeah that was pretty awful by Perez. Not sure if he lacked focus there or just dropped it. Fundamentally he was in a sound position there though, and that is a difference with Villar, whose defensive fundamentals are all over the place.

The good news about Villar is that perhaps his defensive shortcomings are mostly fundamental in nature, i.e. Something he can work through.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Back in this one. You hang em, Ryan bangs em!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers can't even get the ball out of the infield.

When Arrieta is on he does that to a lot of teams. Very smart pitcher who exposes a hitter's weakness and has a lot of movement on his pitches.

Will be interested to see where he ends up in 2018. Likely the Yankees or Dodgers I'm thinking.

Brewers can't even get the ball out of the infield.

When Arrieta is on he does that to a lot of teams. Very smart pitcher who exposes a hitter's weakness and has a lot of movement on his pitches.

Will be interested to see where he ends up in 2018. Likely the Yankees or Dodgers I'm thinking.

Still can't see Chicago letting him walk. They can pay him. But he's more or less said there won't be a hometown discount.

Cubs have any arms in the minors that are ready? It's a gamble to sign Arietta (as it is with all pitching) but might be their best option if they can get him for like 4 years. I bet he will want more years though, and why wouldn't you..

Cubs have any arms in the minors that are ready? It's a gamble to sign Arietta (as it is with all pitching) but might be their best option if they can get him for like 4 years. I bet he will want more years though, and why wouldn't you..

Yeah, he'll get a deal just like every other pitcher his age. One that you know will be a bad one on the back end, but you still have to do it if you want the guy.

I know the Cubs have a lot of arms in their system but for the most part all the good ones are at the lower levels.

I hope the Cubs make every wrong decision they possibly can going forward. I hope they sign Arrieta for big money and he's god awful. One can hope.

Davies, as bad as he was to start this one, has settled on in and given the Brewers at least some good innings that keeps them in this one. Let's steal this one away!

The Brewers would be foolish to trade Braun unless they get a huge haul back. He's still the best LF in Baseball

I've been in the camp to keep him because of what you said above. I also think they need to wait to see how some of these prospects turn out. Broxton for is far from a for sure thing. Brinson looks like he could be a great one but still a little off from him. Santana is in category with Broxton. Phillips has to have a big year in the minors to gain back some traction. Ray and Clark are just too far off to make any assumption that they'll ever be in Milwaukee. Just too many question marks for me to gamble on losing a hitter like Braun.

Archived