Brewer Fanatic

2017 Minor League Transaction Thread

Noriega activated and moved to Biloxi because they need 7 infielders, while CS only needs 4.

Sorry, missed this on Thursday. Recently signed Michael Choice put on Biloxi's 7-day DL, Gabriel Noriega activated from Colorado Springs' DL and transferred to Biloxi's active roster.

With the trade of Noonan and the transfer of Noriega, the Sky Sox all of the sudden have an infielder shortage in the wake of the Sogard callup. They'll need to make a move to get back to a full 25 man roster/have 12 position players.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Biloxi Press Release:

BILOXI, MS – The Milwaukee Brewers announced the following roster move just prior to Sunday’s game against the Mississippi Braves.

•C Natanael Mejia activated from extended spring training

•INF George Iskenderian transferred to the Rookie Helena roster

Mejia, 24, joins the Shuckers active roster on Sunday from extended spring training. Mejia is a career .214 batter over six professional seasons. He joins a catching unit of Jacob Nottingham and Dustin Houle which has nabbed a league-leading 53% of opposing base stealers. The San Pedro de Macoris, DR native was signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Brewers in 2010.

Iskenderian, 23, was placed on the 7-day DL on April 26 and reinstated on Saturday. He had appeared in 14 games for the Shuckers, batting .086 with one RBI. Milwaukee’s seventh round pick in 2015 out of Miami (FL) is a career .260 hitter with six home runs and 45 RBI in 140 games. Iskenderian won the regular-season batting title with Miami in 2015, batting .391.

Interesting, it was already getting difficult to get both Nottingham and Houle innings, just speculating if we'll see Nottingham more elsewhere on the diamond in the coming weeks.

1B Garrett Cooper hits the Colorado Springs 7-day DL. No word on the injury. You wouldn't think this is a move to clear roster space.

C Rene Garcia, last seen being taken off the field in a Brewers Miller Park spring training game, is ready to go and is now active on the Sky Sox roster.

LHP Andrew Barbosa has been activated from the DL as well for the Sky Sox. He replaces Brent Suter, just recalled to Milwaukee.

The Sky Sox and Shuckers now both have three catchers on their active rosters. Curious.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
1B Garrett Cooper hits the Colorado Springs 7-day DL. No word on the injury. You wouldn't think this is a move to clear roster space.

Todd Rosiak indicated that Farm Director Tom Flanagan said this is a hamstring issue (likely 7-10 days).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Biloxi Press Release --

BILOXI, MS – The Milwaukee Brewers announced the following roster moves this morning:

• RHP Angel Ventura has been promoted to AAA Colorado Springs

• INF Wendell Rijo transferred to Biloxi from A+ Carolina

Ventura, 23, appeared in seven games for the Shuckers including five starts going 1-4 with a 3.00 ERA including 22 strikeouts and 14 walks. Over two seasons and 18 outings for the Shuckers Ventura posted a 3-8 record with a 3.71 ERA and 74 strikeouts in 85 innings pitched. Ventura was signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Brewers in 2011 and holds a 27-27 career record with 3.90 ERA over seven professional seasons.

Rijo, 21, appeared in 15 games for the Carolina Mudcats this season, batting .238 (10x42) with five doubles, four RBI, and three stolen bases. Rijo was acquired from Boston, along with Aaron Wilkerson, in exchange for Aaron Hill on July 7, 2015. The La Romana, DR native began the 2016 season with Double-A Portland and transferred to Class-A Salem on June 20. Over 50 games with Brevard County after the trade Rijo batted .202 with one home run, 15 RBI, and six stolen bases. The Red Sox originally signed the 21-year-old as a minor league free agent on July 6, 2012.

At 21 years, 255 days, Rijo is the second-youngest on the roster by 18 days to pitcher Luis Ortiz (21 years, 237 days). Rijo has not yet been assigned a number.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Sky Sox and Shuckers now both have three catchers on their active rosters. Curious.

Make that Carolina too, as Cooper Hummel has been activated, backfilling infielder Wendell Rijo's (now in Biloxi) roster spot. Hummel joins Mitch Ghelfi and Max McDowell.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Don't think we picked this up yet, but in addition to Adam Weisenburger, the Brewers released DSL righty Alberto Paulino.

Here's what we posted last summer upon Paulino's signing --

25-year-old RHP Alberto Paulino, a native Dominican, was signed to a pro contract in January 2012 by the Diamondbacks but never pitched for them and was released the following winter. He'll be facing batters this summer as much as eight years younger.

As the linked stats show, Paulino dominated the younger competition to the tune of a 0.38 ERA in 14 relief appearances.

There's probably quite a backstory there, but we'll never know exactly.

Community Moderator
Brewers have signed 26-year-old LH reliever Chris Nunn, a Padres farmhand in the 2012-2015 seasons.

His own tweet announces the news.

All 176 of the southpaw's pro appearances have been out of the pen.

From a spring 2016 report just prior to his San Diego release --

"Chris Nunn continues to demonstrate he has the stuff to be a fantastic pen option. The long-armed lefty, who comes from a high three-quarters slot, works easily in the mid-90s and his movement makes him a tough match-up."

Nunn, a Tennessee native, was drafted in the 24th round in 2012 out of Lipscomb University.

Nunn did not pitch in 2016, but he tweeted the following last September --

"Hey guys. I have fractured my face and will likely be having surgery tonight. Say a quick prayer if you can. Thank you. Love y'all."

"Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. The surgery was more involved than expected but I should regain full vision in my right eye. I was told there is a chance I would lose my right eye, so a full recovery is a Godsend. What a wake up call. Counting my blessings."

For the time being, Nunn, who briefly reached AA in 2015, has been assigned to extended spring training in Maryvale.

Kyle at BrewCrewBall followed up nicely on this by reaching out to Nunn and getting much of his backstory. Read it all here, love it when the Brewer webisphere goes the extra effort.

: LHP Chris Nunn pitching in complex ball provided by Fangraphs Eric Longenhagen who also vowed to discuss Nunn in his upcoming daily notes piece.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Originally posted April 21st --

Brewers have signed 26-year-old LH reliever Chris Nunn, a Padres farmhand in the 2012-2015 seasons.

His own tweet announces the news.

All 176 of the southpaw's pro appearances have been out of the pen.

From a spring 2016 report just prior to his San Diego release --

"Chris Nunn continues to demonstrate he has the stuff to be a fantastic pen option. The long-armed lefty, who comes from a high three-quarters slot, works easily in the mid-90s and his movement makes him a tough match-up."

Nunn, a Tennessee native, was drafted in the 24th round in 2012 out of Lipscomb University.

Nunn did not pitch in 2016, but he tweeted the following last September --

"Hey guys. I have fractured my face and will likely be having surgery tonight. Say a quick prayer if you can. Thank you. Love y'all."

"Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. The surgery was more involved than expected but I should regain full vision in my right eye. I was told there is a chance I would lose my right eye, so a full recovery is a Godsend. What a wake up call. Counting my blessings."

For the time being, Nunn, who briefly reached AA in 2015, has been assigned to extended spring training in Maryvale.

Check out the BrewCrewBall tweet link which subsequently leads to VIDEO.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From the 17th --

For the Sky Sox, RHP Hiram Burgos is placed on the Temp Inactive List

Burgos is off this list as of Saturday the 20th, active once again.

From a major league transaction perspective, RHP Paolo Espino and LHP Brent Suter optioned to the Sky Sox, RHP Tyler Cravy recalled to Milwaukee.

Once Espino formally reports, the Sky Sox will need to drop a pitcher (there are 26 "active", 14 of them pitchers, on the roster.)

Any news on Tyrone Taylor? I know he got hurt right before the season but its been double his projected DL time. Was there a transaction that I missed? is he still with the organization? he was on my radar to hopefully have a bounceback this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Catcher Andrew Susac, w/only 2 PH at-bats since last start on 5/14, to Sky Sox DL. Garrett Cooper (.960 OPS) active, minimum DL stint (hamstring).

Tyler Heineman and Rene Garcia will share catcher duties in the meantime.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Any news on Tyrone Taylor? I know he got hurt right before the season but its been double his projected DL time. Was there a transaction that I missed? is he still with the organization? he was on my radar to hopefully have a bounceback this season.

Only that Javier Salas, in this interview we recently linked to, talked about how he'll miss his extended spring training rehab buddy.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

On Sunday, catcher Mitch Ghelfi was placed on the Carolina DL (wrist stepped on at home plate), with infielder Jonathan Oquendo up from the paper Helena roster.

Shortly after adding third catchers, both Colorado Springs and Carolina lost one to the DL.

RHP Angel Ventura has been sent back down to Biloxi after making what turned out to be a spot start with the Sky Sox.

The Shuckers also tweet that Ventura's spot comes at the expense of RHP Jon Perrin, who hits the Biloxi DL.

Once Tyler Cravy reports to the Sky Sox, Colorado Springs will need to make another roster move to get back down to 25 players.

Archived