Brewer Fanatic

2017 Minor League Transaction Thread

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From our Draft and International Forum --

Brewers just posted to their DSL roster page a player inked during last summer's signing period (this was official as of July 5th), 17-year-old Venezuelan catcher Jose Romero. He'll turn 18 in November.

Don't confuse this Jose Romero with the 19-year-old Dominican RHP Jose Romero who the Brewers list on their restricted list and has yet to pitch since signing July of 2016.

And yes, the Brewers did have a LHP named Jose Romero in their system between 2005 and 2009.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Sky Sox --

The Colorado Springs Sky Sox and the Milwaukee Brewers have announced that INF Nick Noonan has been placed on the disabled list retroactive to April 16th. In a corresponding move, INF Gabriel Noriega has been transferred from Rookie Helena to Colorado Springs. Roster at 25.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers have signed 26-year-old LH reliever Chris Nunn, a Padres farmhand in the 2012-2015 seasons.

His own tweet announces the news.

All 176 of the southpaw's pro appearances have been out of the pen.

From a spring 2016 report just prior to his San Diego release --

"Chris Nunn continues to demonstrate he has the stuff to be a fantastic pen option. The long-armed lefty, who comes from a high three-quarters slot, works easily in the mid-90s and his movement makes him a tough match-up."

Nunn, a Tennessee native, was drafted in the 24th round in 2012 out of Lipscomb University.

Nunn did not pitch in 2016, but he tweeted the following last September --

"Hey guys. I have fractured my face and will likely be having surgery tonight. Say a quick prayer if you can. Thank you. Love y'all."

"Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. The surgery was more involved than expected but I should regain full vision in my right eye. I was told there is a chance I would lose my right eye, so a full recovery is a Godsend. What a wake up call. Counting my blessings."

For the time being, Nunn, who briefly reached AA in 2015, has been assigned to extended spring training in Maryvale.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
does anyone know if josh uhen got hurt at the end of spring training?...when i was down in az this spring i asked a few coaches about him and they all had very good things to say about him...i cant find any link to him

Learned that Uhen is rehabbing a minor non-arm injury, and is working off a mound in extended spring, so we should see him with an affiliate before too long. Patience...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewers have signed 26-year-old LH reliever Chris Nunn, a Padres farmhand in the 2012-2015 seasons.

His own tweet announces the news.

All 176 of the southpaw's pro appearances have been out of the pen.

From a spring 2016 report just prior to his San Diego release --

"Chris Nunn continues to demonstrate he has the stuff to be a fantastic pen option. The long-armed lefty, who comes from a high three-quarters slot, works easily in the mid-90s and his movement makes him a tough match-up."

Nunn, a Tennessee native, was drafted in the 24th round in 2012 out of Lipscomb University.

Nunn did not pitch in 2016, but he tweeted the following last September --

"Hey guys. I have fractured my face and will likely be having surgery tonight. Say a quick prayer if you can. Thank you. Love y'all."

"Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. The surgery was more involved than expected but I should regain full vision in my right eye. I was told there is a chance I would lose my right eye, so a full recovery is a Godsend. What a wake up call. Counting my blessings."

For the time being, Nunn, who briefly reached AA in 2015, has been assigned to extended spring training in Maryvale.

Kyle at BrewCrewBall followed up nicely on this by reaching out to Nunn and getting much of his backstory. Read it all here, love it when the Brewer webisphere goes the extra effort.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Any news on Uhen yet? What about Rincon, Owenby, C. Trent, Salas, and Grist? I have not seen them on a roster yet. Are Burkhalter and Kirby still in Arizona rehabbing?

Hopefully you saw the Uhen response above, amazingly was posted just three minutes prior to your inquiry. Nothing to report on the others but to say they are all still within the organization, and likely all rehabbing an unreported injury of some extent.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
What about Grist?

RHP Scott Grist, an under the radar statistical highlight in the 2016 Wisconsin bullpen, tweeted that he's flying from Arizona to Carolina, an official announcement and corresponding move is pending.

RHP Tristan Archer has been transferred from Colorado Springs to Biloxi. He takes the place of RHP Preston Gainey, who goes on Biloxi's 7-day DL.

RHP Tim Dillard activated from the 7-day DL for the Sky Sox.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Released RHP Yunior Juan and RHP Wilson Adams.

RHP Yunior Juan was a late-age signee last July 2nd, at 22 years old (turned 23 in October). He walked ten in 6.2 innings over eight DSL appearances last summer.

Also now 23, RHP Wilson Adams was not on the spring training camp list, and likely did not report. The 32nd round pick out of the University of Alabama-Huntsville posted sweet numbers in 12 Maryvale appearances (four starts), and clearly took advantage of much younger competition.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have purchased the Mexican League contract of 18-year-old RHP Victor Castaneda, and plan to assign him to Maryvale, according to this report (Spanish).

http://www.milb.com/images/674810/t5010/180x270/674810.jpg

Listed at 6'1", 185, Castaneda is a rookie in the league that is considered a AAA league by MiLB, but with a talent level that likely resides closer to AA.

Regardless, to be in the league at that young age is impressive, and the Brewers' interest likely spiked after this start on the 20th last week, which was his first pro start and 2nd appearance.

Tweet from the Tijuana Toros with a picture from a couple of years back, it seems: "We remember when we signed the pitcher Víctor Castañeda years ago, who today makes his first start in @LigaMexBeis."

Not counting on a Julio Urias-type find here, but it remains encouraging that the organization is seeking all routes to talent.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

No link for you yet, sorry, but it seems the Brewers have signed Orveo Saint, a native of the Bahamas, and they will start him out in Arizona with the Maryvale kids, and he'll be listed as a shortstop to begin his pro career. It appears he has lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for at least a couple of years. Saint was recently listed at 6'2", 190.

Perhaps something with his Bahamian background that allows for his signing pre-draft, Perfect Game lists his school as the Accelerated Learning Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Based on his own tweets, looks like catcher Charles Galiano is no longer in the organization. In a future Baseball America report, we'll learn the formal transaction.

The 40th round pick in 2015 (there are 40 rounds in the draft) out of Fordham saw action at Helena each of the past two summers.

TWEET: Forever in debt to the game of Baseball.

Classy note -- best to you, sir.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Based on his own tweets, looks like catcher Charles Galiano is no longer in the organization. In a future Baseball America report, we'll learn the formal transaction.

The 40th round pick in 2015 (there are 40 rounds in the draft) out of Fordham saw action at Helena each of the past two summers.

TWEET: Forever in debt to the game of Baseball.

Classy note -- best to you, sir.

Just three minutes after this was posted here, @BrewersPD followed up online --

We've released RHP Junior Rincon, SS Ignacio Otaño, RHP Jack Finnegan, and 1B/OF Juan Ortiz. C Charles Galiano has retired.

We'll follow-up with notes on these players soon. Tough business when your terminations are so public, but each had accomplishments that should be cited.

Archived