Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-05: Rockies (Chatwood) at Brewers (Peralta) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-1, avoid dreaded 0-162 campaign]

hawing
of the announcers I've listened to on MLBtv he's probably the most objective about the team yet still maintaining obvious allegiance to the Brewers.

I have never understand why there is this unwritten snobby baseball fan rule that you must always hate homer announcers. Homer announcers are awesome, Wayne and Larry getting pumped after big Packer plays - awesome. Lucas and Lepay, same thing. I'll take them every time over the standard neutral announcer.

In 2008 when the Brewers turned a double play to at least tie for the wild card, Rock's totally homer reaction was amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v3567115/lee-grounds-into-a-double-play-to-end-the-game

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
of the announcers I've listened to on MLBtv he's probably the most objective about the team yet still maintaining obvious allegiance to the Brewers.

I have never understand why there is this unwritten snobby baseball fan rule that you must always hate homer announcers. Homer announcers are awesome, Wayne and Larry getting pumped after big Packer plays - awesome. Lucas and Lepay, same thing. I'll take them every time over the standard neutral announcer.

In 2008 when the Brewers turned a double play to at least tie for the wild card, Rock's totally homer reaction was amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v3567115/lee-grounds-into-a-double-play-to-end-the-game

Think that rule is more for like the NFL where it is nationally televised. No one wants to hear a homer then.

Homer reactions to big events can be great and have awesome passion behind them but being a homer in pretty much everything you say is another thing and can be completely annoying.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Oh Jungmann, you get a great opportunity to stick at the MLB level as a relief pitcher and you still can't get out of your own way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Think that rule is more for like the NFL where it is nationally televised. No one wants to hear a homer then.

The comment I quoted was referring to BA, I personally do not consider an announcer's objectiveness at all when deciding if I like them. It seems like it is all the rage to look down on Hawk Harrelson as a pathetic loser, but if I was a ChiSox fan I would love him.

I agree with the above evaluation of BA as totally vanilla. When laughs at his own corny jokes he reminds me Dave Chappelle impersonating the typical white suburban guy.

"I'm not being combative."

What is this snobby rule that you speak of? BA is clearly a homer for the Brewers, but he's not over the top about it and can still make objective comments about other teams and that is something I like about him. This reminds me a lot of the "you do not wear a hat of another team" debate on the other board. You're making two extremes here: either they are objective and thus being subjected to a "snobby baseball fan rule" or they be a complete over-the-top homer.

"I'm not being combative."

What is this snobby rule that you speak of? BA is clearly a homer for the Brewers, but he's not over the top about it and can still make objective comments about other teams and that is something I like about him. This reminds me a lot of the "you do not wear a hat of another team" debate on the other board. You're making two extremes here: either they are objective and thus being subjected to a "snobby baseball fan rule" or they be a complete over-the-top homer.

I never said I wasn't being combative, being non combative is boring like BA. My general impression is that whenever there is a poll about baseball announcers the most common knock on the lower ranked ones is that they are homers

Home announcers should be clearly be fans of their team and demonstrate proper excitement for them, but have sufficient knowledge of the opposing team and show respect for them, in my opinion.

Home announcers should be clearly be fans of their team and demonstrate proper excitement for them, but have sufficient knowledge of the opposing team and show respect for them, in my opinion.

Me too. I know a lot about the Brewers (or think I do), I want to know about the other teams.. even if it's message board 101 stuff.

BA is the best TV play by play guy we've had with the possible exeption of Matt Vasgersian.

Hope he never leaves Milwaukee.

I'm not being combative, but why? What does he do that you like?

First off, I'd say he has a good announcing voice. That's obviously subjective and hard to quantify, but to me that's something you either have, or don't. It's hard to explain. Think what Casey Kasem was to radio, and I'm not trying to compare the two, just trying to explain the voice thing. It's either there or it's not. To me, BA has it, Coshun does not.

I'd also say he has a pretty good feel of when to show excitement and when to temper it, something he's gotten much better at since he first arrived. I don't think he's vanilla at all when big Brewer moments happen, but at the same time, I don't hear screaming from the next room when the Brewers single like I heard with Sutton.

He also seems to have a decent enough knowledge base of the game, both of his own team and opponents. The Pena/Pina thing, I just don't really care about. I'm sure by now he knows what the correct pronunciation is, and even says it from time to time. Maybe it's a habit he just can't break, maybe it's an inside joke between him and Pina for all I know. But it's not something I even really notice anymore.

Jungmann was picked ahead of Sonny Gray, Jose Fernandez, Michael Fulmer, Joe Panik, and Trevor Story. I know, I know, the draft is not an exact science

Good to see Villar playing well today

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I like BA a lot. His professionalism is perfect for me. His sense of humor is right up my alley. He doesn't overdo the humor, either, but it's clear (to me, at least) that he and Rock are like a couple of BFFs and feed off each other extremely well.

Neither of them are the best in the business but together, they're quite a pair.

I agree with someone about the "voice" thing. There are announcers (some PBP, mostly color guys [read as: former players]) that sound like the announcers you hear on a local radio broadcast of a high school football game. Except they sound better because they're using better equipment than the the local radio guys.

And, sorry, I don't agree with the Tim Dillard sentiment. At least, not yet. I've heard his webcast stuff (funny, yes); I've heard him on some of those spring training webcasts. It's just not up to snuff--yet. I think that, yes, he clearly could end up in a Uecker-esque caliber of broadcasting, but not yet. He needs more practice at the minor league level or something. And definitely not for tv--I think he'd be far better for radio.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Carlos Gonzalez on Peralta:

"He was pumped -- first game of the season, throwing 99, 98, and he was hitting spots," Rockies right fielder Carlos Gonzalez said. "Normally, he's a guy that makes a lot of mistakes. Today, he was on a roll."

I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, but I wouldn't blame Wily for being rubbed the wrong way by this statement.

Enthusiastic but objective. The only thing that bothers me is when announcers complain about every call that goes against their team. Less of an issue in baseball than other sports.

I was going to say something like that too. I can't handle the, these umps/refs are terrible type announcers. I love excitement when the home team does something great. I know we've had a pretty good string of announcers, but I think BA is about as professional as they come and would really be missed by most if he left. Sure, when you listen to someone every day, all summer, you will pick up on things he does that might annoy you. I say have fun with it and appreciate what we have.

On a side note, during football season, I love listening to other team's broadcasts because the homerness is unreal! The Bengals color guy cracks me up. Or Paul Allen in MN. His mood swings are hilarious. When he's grumpy he will barely talk. Tremendous.

Back to the game, awesome win. I enjoy watching this team with no expectation on wins. I just want to see progress.

On a side note, during football season, I love listening to other team's broadcasts because the homerness is unreal! The Bengals color guy cracks me up. Or Paul Allen in MN. His mood swings are hilarious. When he's grumpy he will barely talk. Tremendous..

He's the one from the NFC Champ game with Favre, right? 'This isnt Detroit...' that was great.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Myday2001 - Haha! Yep!! It was a recent big game, last few years, and he had an epic meltdown. He was so mad, he was barely talking. They ended up coming back and winning the game, but the swing of emotions he had was so hilarious. I like that he also openly admits to being a homer and getting emotional.

Archived