Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-05: Rockies (Chatwood) at Brewers (Peralta) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-1, avoid dreaded 0-162 campaign]

hawing
Peralta just threw a 99mph dart to get Gonzalez looking.

I believe they are measuring fast balls differently this year, when it comes out of the pitcher's hand vs. closer to the plate as they have done in past years. Supposed to make a 1 or 2 mph difference, so Peralta still seems to be throwing harder than he normally does.

Is that just at MP or throughout MLB? Minors? Would be good to know so I can calibrate accordingly. Sort of like years ago when 30 HRs was the new 20 HRs.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe they are measuring fast balls differently this year, when it comes out of the pitcher's hand vs. closer to the plate as they have done in past years. Supposed to make a 1 or 2 mph difference, so Peralta still seems to be throwing harder than he normally does.

Is that just at MP or throughout MLB? Minors? Would be good to know so I can calibrate accordingly. Sort of like years ago when 30 HRs was the new 20 HRs.

I think it's throughout MLB. I heard it on one of the games I was watching on opening day.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

How did I know Villar was going to get picked off? I just knew it.

Everytime he gets picked off I see his lead and wonder where our 1st base coach is. Why is he even allowed to take a lead like that? I have a hard time gauging the blame on a lot of his basepath mistakes because last year Counsell encouraged his aggresiveness. With the kind of player he is I just don't get why you would encourage that. It is like encouraging an alcoholic to drink more.

I understand what you are saying, but you would think a professional ball player would at some point say to himself "Gee, I make a lot of outs on the base paths. Maybe I should take things down a notch when I get on base"

Totally agree, but all players are different. There is a reason we have coaches and can avoid some boneheaded stuff. I know it isn't so simple to limit the lead of a basestealer, but gesh that lead was ridiculous.

So apparently what I heard the ESPN announcer say was not exactly true, but kind of...here is an article regarding the "change" that I found:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about-all-these-velocity-spikes/

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Neither were 'easy' plays, but two plays that Arcia needs to make in this inning. Not worried about his D at all but those are plays I hope he makes in the future.

They were both easy plays for a major league SS. Look at how many more pitches Peralta had to throw. I don't care about wins and losses this year, I care about playing the game the right way. They have been the opposite early on.

Neither were 'easy' plays, but two plays that Arcia needs to make in this inning. Not worried about his D at all but those are plays I hope he makes in the future.

They were both easy plays for a major league SS. Look at how many more pitches Peralta had to throw. I don't care about wins and losses this year, I care about playing the game the right way. They have been the opposite early on.

I was being kind. I was annoyed he missed both since both were plays that high schoolers can make on the reg.

Not sure why we expect Villar to have situational awareness if our coaches don't have it.

Exactly what I was saying earlier. Do you expect a kid to behave well if his parents don't? No. Same concept here.

Arcia was so close to having one heck of a head first slide to be safe.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thames with a blast. That was fun!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived