Brewer Fanatic

2017-04-05: Rockies (Chatwood) at Brewers (Peralta) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-1, avoid dreaded 0-162 campaign]

hawing

I was in Milwaukee on Opening Day and catching up from Opening Day last night.

I'm leaving shortly for Milwaukee and haven't seen lineups yet, but they can be edited in here by a mod or added in a subsequent post.

Will Wily be the stopper? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ No one's ever had an 0-162 season, so someone will have to be.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blackmon

LeMahieu

Gonzalez

Arenado

Story

Parra

Reynolds

Wolters

Chatwood

Villar

Thames

Braun

Shaw

Perez

Nieuwenhuis

Pina

Arcia

Peralta

See we're starting with the bench garbage already.

Keon and Santana struggle for 2 days and they're already out.

Yeah, knew this was going to happen when they kept Kirk. Struggle for a little bit and sit for the veteran. There have been some positive things about the rebuild but they don't seem to be committing fully to it, which is incredibly frustrating.

We need to just cut Kirk since Counsell apparently cannot resist starting him. Broxton is young and healthy and should be starting every single game for at least all of April and May and beyond unless he is hitting .100

Long live Kirk! I love that Counsell juggles the lineup and we'll probably get a W tonight!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Long live Kirk! I love that Counsell juggles the lineup and we'll probably get a W tonight!

Haven't you been vocal that you hate Milone because because he's just a journeyman with no future here?

Nieuwenhuis is nothing more than the lineup version of Milone. He has no part of the future here and every AB he gets is one AB less of a sample size that we have to learn what we have with guys like Broxton and Santana.

These young guys with a future here need regular, consistent playing time. Not to be jerked around after a slow start less than 10 ABs into the season. Kirk had 392 PAs last season which is insane for a career journeyman backup outfielder on a rebuilding club. He probably would have had 450 if not for the September injury.

Haven't you been vocal that you hate Milone because because he's just a journeyman with no future here?

Nieuwenhuis is nothing more than the lineup version of Milone. He has no part of the future here and every AB he gets is one AB less of a sample size that we have to learn what we have with guys like Broxton and Santana.

These young guys with a future here need regular, consistent playing time. Not to be jerked around after a slow start less than 10 ABs into the season. Kirk had 392 PAs last season which is insane for a career journeyman backup outfielder on a rebuilding club. He probably would have had 450 if not for the September injury.

I have no quibbles with playing a vet. I hate watching Milone pitch. He's boring and does nothing well anymore, so why bother? This has nothing to do with that though. We can go back and forth on this but I am all for these younger guys getting days off. I don't buy the sample size stuff. We will see plenty of Broxton and Santana to know where or if they fit into the future. I actually see the complaints as rather silly. There's plenty of AB's to go around, might as well keep the bench guys going too, long season. I hope Arcia gets a few days off too. Sometimes you get more perspective from watching and allowing the game to slow down. Seemed to work pretty well at the end of the year last season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bold prediction- Taylor Jungmann gets our first win.

I will say that we don't know for sure if Broxton and Santana have minor injuries. Bench players need reps too. Maybe not in Game #3 but starting out the season with 7 straight games and no days off, it makes sense.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I will say that we don't know for sure if Broxton and Santana have minor injuries. Bench players need reps too. Maybe not in Game #3 but starting out the season with 7 straight games and no days off, it makes sense.

These are Prince Fielder's game totals from 2006-2011 on the Brewers: 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162. Keon Broxton does not need any "rest" days at all. Injury sure, but 7 straight games and no days off is no big deal.

These are Prince Fielder's game totals from 2006-2011 on the Brewers: 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162. Keon Broxton does not need any "rest" days at all. Injury sure, but 7 straight games and no days off is no big deal.

Where is Fielder now?

Where is Fielder now?

Do you want me to post Cal Ripken instead? The point is Prince Fielder is fat, yet was able to produce for a whole season without any rest. He then had 6 months off to recover. Do you really think if over the course of 10 years he spent 50 extra days sitting on the bench instead of playing first base his neck would be perfectly fine today.

Peralta just threw a 99mph dart to get Gonzalez looking.

Which was a ball. They're also measuring velocity when it's released from the hand instead of 10 feet from home plate now, so everything is going to be faster than it was before.

I don't see a huge issue playing Kirk regularily as long as it isn't too excessive. Maybe they needed a mental day as both been horrible to start the year. Sometimes throwing a player out there non stop does more damage than good. We don't need to throw these guys out there 162 games.

Look I would rather watch Broxton/Santana, but to think regular rest is doing anything to their development seems like a stretch to me.

How did I know Villar was going to get picked off? I just knew it.

He drives me nuts. He seems to do something stupid every game. I know it's game 3, but I'm talking about last year as well he would do some pretty boneheaded stuff.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I believe they are measuring fast balls differently this year, when it comes out of the pitcher's hand vs. closer to the plate as they have done in past years. Supposed to make a 1 or 2 mph difference, so Peralta still seems to be throwing harder than he normally does.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Everytime he gets picked off I see his lead and wonder where our 1st base coach is. Why is he even allowed to take a lead like that? I have a hard time gauging the blame on a lot of his basepath mistakes because last year Counsell encouraged his aggresiveness. With the kind of player he is I just don't get why you would encourage that. It is like encouraging an alcoholic to drink more.

I believe they are measuring fast balls differently this year, when it comes out of the pitcher's hand vs. closer to the plate as they have done in past years. Supposed to make a 1 or 2 mph difference, so Peralta still seems to be throwing harder than he normally does.

I wasn't aware of that. I guess I didn't notice an notable difference the last two games before Peralta. Maybe it is just because I focus on Peralta's velocity than other players. A lot of times when Peralta goes through long stretches of struggle his velocity is notably down.

He drives me nuts. He seems to do something stupid every game. I know it's game 3, but I'm talking about last year as well he would do some pretty boneheaded stuff.

Seems? Professional sports requires focus. Villar doesn't seem capable of keeping his focus.

Everytime he gets picked off I see his lead and wonder where our 1st base coach is. Why is he even allowed to take a lead like that? I have a hard time gauging the blame on a lot of his basepath mistakes because last year Counsell encouraged his aggresiveness. With the kind of player he is I just don't get why you would encourage that. It is like encouraging an alcoholic to drink more.

I understand what you are saying, but you would think a professional ball player would at some point say to himself "Gee, I make a lot of outs on the base paths. Maybe I should take things down a notch when I get on base"

Archived