Brewer Fanatic

Nick Franklin claimed off waivers from Tampa; Blazek DFA'd

markedman5
I would say Scooter is just as good at 3B as Villar

What do you base such a claim on? Scooter Gennett would be a total joke at 3B on his noodle arm alone. Add in his range and we might as well sign Bartolo Colon to roam CF.

Mark Kotsay thinks it's not such a bad idea.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
For what it is worth (admittedly probably not that much), Baseball Reference lists Nick Franklin's most similar major league batter through age 25 as former Blue Jay Kelly Gruber. Kelly Gruber went on to be an All Star in his age 27 & 28 seasons. Not necessarily predicting it, but there is at least a non-zero chance Franklin could develop into a solid hitter in his prime.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

What do you base such a claim on? Scooter Gennett would be a total joke at 3B on his noodle arm alone. Add in his range and we might as well sign Bartolo Colon to roam CF.

Mark Kotsay thinks it's not such a bad idea.

Nah, it's not a crucial game in the NLCS just yet.

An .881 Fielding Percentage at 3B for Mr Villar

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

.881 is very bad, but there's more than just fielding percentage.

Scooter's arm doesn't belong anywhere on the left side of the infield. Or in the outfield. So yeah, basically just 2nd. Maybe you could hide him in LF and get by.

So a small sample size of one of the weakest fielding metrics that exists is your proof? I don't actually know the answer here but when you have to revert to partial season fielding percentage your argument is on extremely thin ice.

Seriously though I was reading about Blazek saying he felt he was treated unfairly too. That he was told to work on his fastball in spring only to find out doing so meant a trip to the minors. I only bring it up because that is the second person feeling mistreated. One person can be overlooked as sour grapes or whatever but two is harder to explain away. I know they are both fringe guys with limited experience/ceilings but I really don't want this to be a trend. Especially when they talked about last season was how they hyped communication throughout the minors as a major factor in player development.

And probably not much to do with Stearns, but also don't forget about Gentry Fortuno. http://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/3/28/15086072/gentry-fortuno-opens-up-after-being-released-by-milwaukee-brewers

I really like Stearns and think he, by and large, has made positive moves. No GM strikes gold all of the time, and he is bound to make some transaction mistakes. I think the direction and position he has put the ballclub in is exciting and optimistic, loaded with high upside potential, while still trying to field a capable and competitive MLB team. i love that he is sabermetrically driven, and looking for undervalued assets.

So, first, it is odd to me that he took such calculated risks losing upside guys like Liriano and Diaz. Who knows if they will ever put it all together, and one could argue that the system is crowded with guys like them, but our system is stronger with them in it and the potential that each of them had should have far outweighed the opportunity or flexibility of keeping 30 year old AAAA journeymen protected on the 40 man roster, especially factoring in where our organization is in the rebuild.

Also, there is nothing really to suggest that Stearns doesn't operate and foster in his staff the utmost respect in regard to player treatment. But, as one becomes myopically focused with systems, stats or strategies I hope that we don't lose touch with a strong emphasis that the Brewers built under Melvin as treating players with great respect. Melvin and the front office were held in high esteem across the league and among players of treating them with dignity, even during difficult conversations surrounding roster changes. Counsell seems to have a great repoire and I have no reason to think Stearns doesn't either, but with the three disgruntled players mentioned above, i hope that is not a sign of a growing disregard for how the organization communicates with players. when attracting FA and deciding whether to sign extensions, and clubhouse environments, these factors can't be ignored.

What Fortuno was upset about is an organizational thing that outdates Stearns and the Brewers are not the only ones who do it. Rookie ball pitchers usually can't throw 2-seamers or possibly other big time pitches they possess. Now whether this helps anything who knows. The players don't seem to understand it(usually frustrated) and I think it is put in there to weed out fringe guys.

Later in his interview it seems the Brewers were pretty good to him and Fortuno was just super high on himself. I mean he said he was the best pitcher in camp...

There are going to be personality clashes and differences in any organization. JJ Hardy didn't feel he was treated with respect by Melvin. I'm sure there were others. Melvin also hired a manager in Ken Macha who nobody would describe as a player's manager, either, and that is putting it nicely.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Taylor Jungmann has to be the player sent down to make room for Franklin tomorrow, doesn't he? He just doesn't look like a big league pitcher to me right now, seems to be struggling with mechanical/control issues. I was holding my breath the whole time he was in the game last night.

Taylor Jungmann has to be the player sent down to make room for Franklin tomorrow, doesn't he? He just doesn't look like a big league pitcher to me right now, seems to be struggling with mechanical/control issues. I was holding my breath the whole time he was in the game last night.

he was the last guy to make the team technically and did himself no favors yesterday. Marinez has no options i believe so it would have to be Jungmann.

Taylor Jungmann has to be the player sent down to make room for Franklin tomorrow, doesn't he?

the club could stick with 13 pitchers for the time being and place keon broxton on the 7-day disabled list to make room for franklin.

I am sorry but Stearns missed the boat he had many options to add a Young Arm instead of fringe players at this point.

Who are the young arms he missed on?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Scooter Gennett love on this board is just bewildering. He's a bad baseball player. He's a bad hitter and a bad fielder that can't run. What a shame we lost a guy that stinks at everything.

he isn't a bad baseball player. he is a career 279 hitter, with some pop for a middle infielder and was OK defensively. his biggest downfall was he could only play 1 position and probably wasn't a good fit for the brewers.

The Scooter Gennett love on this board is just bewildering. He's a bad baseball player. He's a bad hitter and a bad fielder that can't run. What a shame we lost a guy that stinks at everything.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he stinks at everything, but he's pretty mediocre at most and excels at nothing. The problem with Scooter is that he just wasn't a good fit anymore with Villar going to 2nd. He's pretty useless as a utility player no matter how much we tried to disguise him as one as he's not versatile or a good defender anywhere.

He only really fits well on a team with a gaping hole at 2nd or as a platoon partner for a RH second baseman.

taylor jungmann optioned to class aa biloxi to make room for franklin. jungmann will be stretched out as a starter.

Good. We have a window here with Guerra and Garza on the DL to give a final test to Jungmann to see if there's any reason to believe he can still be a starter. Pretty soon, we'll start calling up the more talented SP prospects, so it's now or never for Taylor.

If he doesn't cut it, then stick him in the bullpen in AAA to get him used to being a reliever so hopefully he can find a way to help the MLB club.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Plan and simple....Gennett just wasn't a fit. They tried him out at other positions & they didn't like what they saw. He's a decent bat, yes. Problem is he can only play defense at 2B which is taken & he doesn't even play that well. DS wants versatile players. Franklin has a bat that could standout given ABs but more importantly, he can play all over the place. His defense may not be outstanding like Perez but he at least has ability to move around unlike Gennett.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived