Brewer Fanatic

Nick Franklin claimed off waivers from Tampa; Blazek DFA'd

markedman5

This isn't as much about Franklin as it is about the evolving Brewers method of operations:

Versatile athletic players have value but only if they are great defensively. Orlando Arcia would be a plus glove at 7 positions. Broxton would be an elite defensive LF/RF. Not to pile on the Villar bashing, but just because he can play a ton of positions doesn't make him as valuable of an asset when he is only a plus glove at LF

I personally would like to see plus plus defensive players up the middle. I think the Brewers are starting to build towards that. I certainly hope so. Pitching & Defense wins championships. Cramming defensive liabilities into key defensive spots just because they are a plus bat and athletic? Not so much

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Franklin is a nice bench guy for a number of reasons, especially for an NL team.

- Can play anywhere except CF and C. (his ability to play SS gives him a huge advantage over Scooter IMO)

- Switch hitter

- Entering his prime (26 years old)

- Team controlled for 3 more ARB years

- Has power

- Was solid as MLB bench player last year and had great spring

I think this give the Brewers the option of using Jonathan Villar as a trade chip if the right deal comes along, as they now have Franklin/Perez option to fill in as starting 2B until Isan Diaz is ready for the big leagues.

Love the move by Steans.

Well it happened, I didn't think he'd get past the SD's or Minn types. He has experience over multiple positions. There's that -0.9DWar but you do know these guys who go and play around the diamond have spots they are going to be poor at. Surprisingly it appears 2b was his worst along with SS and RF his best. I always thought of him as a 2nd baseman first so a little surprised to see that. Of course those details are in a very small sample, extrapolated to a full year's numbers.

What one can say is that his bat performed better last year than previous years. So there's some promise there for a 26year old former top 50 prospect. We complain about Kirk N. this may make less of him appearing and maybe even trading, with now having Super Utilities with Perez/Franklin/as well as Villar. We'll see how it works out. Sure, he's not a CF, but if Broxton was going down for a DL stint, I'd say that puts Brinson on the call up. Franklin can add to the corner OFs or 1b having experience there if needed.

This is a better 24th/25th man than the past. Blazek getting the boot moves the Pitchers in the minors up a spot when the need arises. As other Claims that occurred in the offseason, Franklin's may only last a few days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Franklin has had some pretty big splits - especially with his power. As a leftie, he has hit 21 HR in 525 ABs in his career. As a right-hander he's hit 1 HR in 200 ABs. His BA is .225 as a leftie, .205 as a righty. Not too different - but again, the power is really missing as a right-handed hitter.

As for his defense - he stunk last year but the majority of his work was in the OF - a position he had barely played before. So I'm not going to really worry too much about his over defensive ratings from 2016.

Still, the numbers haven't been good to him as fielder. But in his defense, he's been jerked around a bit, and he's had some injury issues over the years.

Last year he put some decent numbers (although less than 200 ABs). He was a first round pick, and has put up some solid minor league numbers - but nothing astounding. Perhaps something has clicked for him. Who knows.

I think a big thing is if he can play SS adequately.

I haven't seen Franklin play, so maybe the team sees someone who can be a decent utility guy. I guess we'll just have to find out. I'm good with that. Now's the time to give players chances - like Perez last year.

I just wish Yadiel Rivera could hit a little more, now that guy is someone who can really play some defense!

It will be interesting watching the Brewers roster evolve over the next several years. I'm convinced Dubon can hit .300 and be a great defensive SS in MLB eventually. Isan Diaz can really hit but can he play 2B or is he more of a 3B moving forwards?

Franklin is a former highly rated prospect who is still relatively young. He was the Mariners star of the future until they signed Cano. Perhaps he can turn it around now. The lefty bat is valuable obviously.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yeah, the current regime clearly values defensive versatility, particularly in bench players. (That's not exactly rocket science of course.) Having a four man bench including Aguilar really limited their flexibility...scooter as a 2b only, and a poor one at that, wasn't the solution to that problem. Franklin doesn't seem like a really good defender anywhere, but he's at least mediocre at several positions, not just one.

Yeah, the current regime clearly values defensive versatility, particularly in bench players. (That's not exactly rocket science of course.) Having a four man bench including Aguilar really limited their flexibility...scooter as a 2b only, and a poor one at that, wasn't the solution to that problem. Franklin doesn't seem like a really good defender anywhere, but he's at least mediocre at several positions, not just one.

Yeah they have guys versatile enough to stink at several positions.

This isn't as much about Franklin as it is about the evolving Brewers method of operations:

Versatile athletic players have value but only if they are great defensively. Orlando Arcia would be a plus glove at 7 positions. Broxton would be an elite defensive LF/RF. Not to pile on the Villar bashing, but just because he can play a ton of positions doesn't make him as valuable of an asset when he is only a plus glove at LF

I personally would like to see plus plus defensive players up the middle. I think the Brewers are starting to build towards that. I certainly hope so. Pitching & Defense wins championships. Cramming defensive liabilities into key defensive spots just because they are a plus bat and athletic? Not so much

I never got that saying. The very best season in team history came with Fielder, Weeks, Yuni B and McGehee on the infield. Pitching and offense wins championships. Defense is a nice bonus that helps.

I think players need to be better than Kotsay in center but frankly I think defense is a distant third in importance. Obviously up the middle defense is more important but I'll take a decent bat with some defensive versatility over a light bat and great defense or limited versatility for a bench player any day.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

http://img.mylot.com/2017336.jpg

Franklin out-hit Scooter last year, and can play several positions Scooter can't. And you get your LH hitter off the bench. Yet you're still not happy. Color me shocked.

My thought process on this move in particular is that this guy isnt a very good player and being versatile doesnt matter if he can play a bunch of positions but none of them very well.

As far as what he adds to the team, the answer is nothing Scooter wouldnt have added, and actually much less than what Scooter would have added. The issue though is like you say not worth much energy, as Franklin is just a 25th guy and this team is a bad so picking him up wont help but it wont hurt either.

I never got that saying. The very best season in team history came with Fielder, Weeks, Yuni B and McGehee on the infield. Pitching and offense wins championships. Defense is a nice bonus that helps.

Say what? Part of the reason that team didn't get past the NLCS was because they were godawful on defense, especially Yuni B! The best team in history was 1982 anyways

A significant amount of World Series winners in recent years (Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, Red Sox) had excellent pitching and at least above average defense.

Say what? Part of the reason that team didn't get past the NLCS was because they were godawful on defense, especially Yuni B! The best team in history was 1982 anyways

A significant amount of World Series winners in recent years (Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, Red Sox) had excellent pitching and at least above average defense.

Marcum blowing out all four tires was a bigger issue.

Marcum blowing out all four tires was a bigger issue.

That and Greinke being the 103 ERA+ 3.83 ERA pitcher he was as opposed to the Cy Young pitcher we thought we were getting. Considering that Yuni B added negative value to the trade (I'm not talking about WAR I'm talking about a player who hurt the team more than he helped) the Brewers would have been better off keeping Escobar, Cain, Odorizzi etc and not made that trade.

Of course people will say that the Brewers wouldn't have made the playoffs without Greinke. That is just bizarre. I wonder if they understand what a 103 ERA+ means?! Of course hindsight is 20/20. Greinke gave up 12 Earned Runs in 16 postseason innings. We gave up the future for garbage production and had a historically bad defensive SS thrown in!

Escobar & Cain were/are plus defenders. You need players like that up the middle.

My thought process on this move in particular is that this guy isnt a very good player and being versatile doesnt matter if he can play a bunch of positions but none of them very well.

As far as what he adds to the team, the answer is nothing Scooter wouldnt have added, and actually much less than what Scooter would have added. The issue though is like you say not worth much energy, as Franklin is just a 25th guy and this team is a bad so picking him up wont help but it wont hurt either.

Much less than what Scooter would have added? How so? Franklin out-hit Scooter last year and can play almost anywhere. Versatile DOES matter for bench players. You have double-switches, etc. where it's nice to have a guy who can legitimately play a lot of positions. Doesn't need to be stellar defense, just Villar level defense. ; )

Franklin out-hit Scooter last year? I guess if you buy in to the 192 At Bats small sample.

I would say Scooter is just as good at 3B as Villar so for double switches he is capable. So far I'd say Scooter is better than Villar defensively at 2B. We'll see, Villar has potential.

I'm good with the Franklin pickup though. He is the kind of player you take a flyer on. Like Travis Shaw, or Will Middlebrooks, or Broxton, or Villar, or Sogard. Sometimes those guys work out, sometimes they don't

How many people here have actually seen him play? I ask because there is no defensive metric out here that is anywhere near reliable enough to use in the number of games he has played so any determination based on them is bound to be virtually useless. So I am curious if people are making their judgements on his defense on the equivalent of 50 or so ab's of offense or have some actually seen him play horrible defense?

How many people here have actually seen him play? I ask because there is no defensive metric out here that is anywhere near reliable enough to use in the number of games he has played so any determination based on them is bound to be virtually useless. So I am curious if people are making their judgements on his defense on the equivalent of 50 or so ab's of offense or have some actually seen him play horrible defense?

Franklin? I have. He is solid. He is a pro, he'll do all the little things correctly that drive some of us crazy when MLB players don't. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm at SS but he can play the position. I like him better as a 2B/LF but he can play short. He is the kind of player that it easy for me to root for, in some ways similar to Scooter. He doesn't have elite athleticism but he is legit. He is bigger/stronger than Scooter.

Franklin? I have. He is solid. He is a pro, he'll do all the little things correctly that drive some of us crazy when MLB players don't. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm at SS but he can play the position. I like him better as a 2B/LF but he can play short. He is the kind of player that it easy for me to root for, in some ways similar to Scooter. He doesn't have elite athleticism but he is legit. He is bigger/stronger than Scooter.

I'm pretty sure this post contains every baseball cliché known to man.

I'm pretty sure this post contains every baseball cliché known to man.

I forgot "he's a gamer, he's a grinder, he's a hard worker."

Never claimed to be Hemingway!

I bet he also leaves it all on the field, is the first one in and last one out every day and is in the best shape of his life.

Seriously though I was reading about Blazek saying he felt he was treated unfairly too. That he was told to work on his fastball in spring only to find out doing so meant a trip to the minors. I only bring it up because that is the second person feeling mistreated. One person can be overlooked as sour grapes or whatever but two is harder to explain away. I know they are both fringe guys with limited experience/ceilings but I really don't want this to be a trend. Especially when they talked about last season was how they hyped communication throughout the minors as a major factor in player development.

There are times when I think Stearns is more interested in activity than progress. Maybe he's useful, although I doubt there's the available playing time at the MLB level to show that, but the upside seems limited. There are cheap, useful utility players available every year.

It's not worth getting worked up about one way or another, but sometimes you wonder if Stearns suffers from ADD.

I would say Scooter is just as good at 3B as Villar

What do you base such a claim on? Scooter Gennett would be a total joke at 3B on his noodle arm alone. Add in his range and we might as well sign Bartolo Colon to roam CF.

Archived