Brewer Fanatic

Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stokes reminds me of Michael Reed quite a bit. I think Reed was in the top 10 a few years back? Stokes has a chance (as Reed did). to be a 4th OFer, but he has a ways to go yet to achieve it. And quite a few OFers ahead of him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both get on base at a good clip, Reed maybe a little better at it. Reed never showed the power that Stokes is flashing this year. It was always promised, but never delivered.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I've been using the Michael Reed comp for Stoked since Helena. The under the radar productive OBP monster with speed. Like said before though, he now is flashing power Reed never showed. If this was our system 3-4 years ago.... he'd be pushing top 10 but now it's tough. Our 25-35 prospects may be top 10 in many other farm systems.

Due to age and level they count as sort of under the radar but we have started to collect our best ever wave of internal signings. I'm really high on Lujano, Abreu, E. Martinez, Carmona, and Familia! Add in an impressive Torres. Just a shame we haven't found many arms that really stand out like them. I believe at least one of these guys will hit & skyrocket. Who, not sure yet.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I've been using the Michael Reed comp for Stoked since Helena. The under the radar productive OBP monster with speed. Like said before though, he now is flashing power Reed never showed. If this was our system 3-4 years ago.... he'd be pushing top 10 but now it's tough. Our 25-35 prospects may be top 10 in many other farm systems.

Due to age and level they count as sort of under the radar but we have started to collect our best ever wave of internal signings. I'm really high on Lujano, Abreu, E. Martinez, Carmona, and Familia! Add in an impressive Torres. Just a shame we haven't found many arms that really stand out like them. I believe at least one of these guys will hit & skyrocket. Who, not sure yet.

I agree on the minor league guys. I would add Florentino to that group as well as Rodriguez and L. Ernesto singed this latest period. Plus you have folks like Sibrian, Piniero, Mallen, Yerald Martinez, Salaman, Chirino and Jay Feliciano aleady stateside. If you look at it, the org is absolutely dotted with kids out of the DSL program. The ramp up started under Melvin but Sterns has taken it to a new level.

Gindl does look like a better comp, closer in height stat lines are more similar so far. Fun Gindl fact he actually has a career 102 OPS+ in the big leagues. A little surprised he didn't get more chances somewhere. Reed really now looks like a guy who had 1 good year at just the right time. He's never hit above AA at this point with any success.

Gindl does look like a better comp, closer in height stat lines are more similar so far. Fun Gindl fact he actually has a career 102 OPS+ in the big leagues. A little surprised he didn't get more chances somewhere. Reed really now looks like a guy who had 1 good year at just the right time. He's never hit above AA at this point with any success.

Gindl is still at it with an .809 OPS in 71 games this year for the Lancaster Barnstormers in the Atlantic League. His former teammate in the Brewer system Sean Halton is also playing with Lancaster with a current OPS of .831 also in 71 games. I thought Gindl had a chance to develop into a Matt Stairs type player but he's never quite had the power of Stairs even though their swings looked a lot alike.

I liked zach brown out of Kentucky, felt like he and Braden Webb and Corbin burnes would all be fast movers. Burnes has been amazing and brown had been awful, but lately he has really turned it around. Tonight he just lowered his ERA to 3.50 and he's put together a solid string of starts. One to watch!

I liked zach brown out of Kentucky, felt like he and Braden Webb and Corbin burnes would all be fast movers. Burnes has been amazing and brown had been awful, but lately he has really turned it around. Tonight he just lowered his ERA to 3.50 and he's put together a solid string of starts. One to watch!

Brown was injured early in the season - thus the gap from April 6th to May 11th and only 2-inning stints May 11th and 16th, and thus why he was "awful".

Excluding those first three outings, his ERA has been 3.00.

Brown was injured early in the season - thus the gap from April 6th to May 11th and only 2-inning stints May 11th and 16th, and thus why he was "awful".

Excluding those first three outings, his ERA has been 3.00.

He's been pretty darn good even with those outings. For a guy who was pegged as almost certainly moving to the pen almost immediately, he has done very well.

Also he's just not talked about enough, angel ventura could be a real player for the Brewers. Guy throws heat and gets outs, wish his K rate was higher, but I could end up in Milwaukee this season yet

I was under the impression that he was a more of a right handed finesse pitcher.

Ventura has struck me as a Peralta later in milb career. Effective but K rates dropped off. Think they are similar build if I remember right. Velocity pitchers but may be like Wily with not much movement on it.

Anyone taking notice of the jump Pierre is taking this season?! That's really good to see!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Michael Choice. A former first round pick of Oakland, also the A's minor league player of the year in 2013. Currently at Biloxi. Pulling for him to succeed. Another Stearns pick up off the scrap heap perhaps.

I haven't heard his velo for 2 years, but in Appleton he was touchin 97 on occasion. Maybe he's pulled that back. I think his lack of Ks gives him a stats profile that looks like a finesse pitcher

That seems high from what I've heard about Angel in the past. Was it the stadium gun?

SBNationhad him at this (also 2 years ago)

On Thursday, Ventura worked at 90-92 while topping out at 94.

That was my perception of him. I'd be surprised if he was topping at 97.

And That has always been pretty high on Ventura in the Link Reports. Perhaps he has more recent info?

Yes kn the stadium, which you have to take with a grain of salt. Harder has never hit 90 on the gun all three times I've watched him, yet he's over 95 right now at miller park. And YES Pierre fjnally seems to be living up to the bonus pedigree, Mallen as well. McAllen has been slightly more consistent, but I was under the impression that Pierre had the higher ceiling and defensive profile, hopefully the powers comes too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just north of 100 ABs at R+ this year and 19 year old Gabriel Garcia is hitting 302/448/481/929. This after hitting almost identically last year at AZ.

I would be surprised if he doesn't get a bump to A-ball this year yet.

Just north of 100 ABs at R+ this year and 19 year old Gabriel Garcia is hitting 302/448/481/929. This after hitting almost identically last year at AZ.

I wish they'd keep him behind the plate, although, he has played IF and C as well.

I wish they'd keep him behind the plate, although, he has played IF and C as well.

He's played 5 of his 413 innings at catcher and that was last year. I think the catcher ship has sailed for Garcia.

• 5 weeks later...

two guys who have moved "up" to under the radar prospects:

1) Eric Hanhold - 6th round draft pick and a big 6'5" 220lb, he started the year horrendously. in his first 5 appearances, he gave up the following earned runs 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 8 respectively. but since May 18 after his 8 run appearance, he's held hitters to a 1.37 ERA w/ a 9 K/9 and only about 1 walk & hit/inning. With a move to the bullpen this year, it looks like he's found his stride putting his talented, big arm to use. at 23, could be a fast mover next year.

2) Cooper Hummel - in 210 PA this year has an .804OPS (.386/.419) switch hitting at Carolina. He's also only 22, the same age as Erceg & Ray- and outhitting both of them, granted in less than half the ABs, as he's sharing duties with McDowell. haven't read a scouting report stating he has a big upside, but can't argue with the production this year when he's played. the Brewers must see him as an advanced receiver as he completely skipped A ball this year.

and Daniel Brown has been lights out of the bullpen this year since the end of May.

Two players I believe are having good years are Bubba Derby and Jordan Yamamoto. Derby after having a poor 2016, is 7-1 with an era in the low 3's. His strike out numbers aren't the greatest with 90 in 108 innings, but he is still finding success (5-0 in AAA). I'm hoping the brewers maybe even give him a shot as a September call up. Then there is Jordan Yamamoto, who is showing good command. He has 106 strikeouts to only 29 walks, through 104 innings at High A ball. His 8-4 record with a 2.68 era is also pretty exciting. I feel as if he has a good shot at cracking the Brewers top 30 prospect list to begin next year, with his success and only turning 21 years of age back in May.

Do we know what Derby's long term projection is? Is he a better prospect to be a reliever, or a starter? I see that we started him off in the bullpen this year, but then switched him back to a starter 1/2 way during the year. Was this just out of need, or do we like him better as a starter? He seems to have had success doing both this year, after a really rough first year in our system last year. Is he a hard thrower, or does he have a good mix of pitches to keep guys off balance? Just curious if anyone has more insight on his stuff and his potential. I don't know if we've ever had this many intriguing arms in our system, at least in the 20+ years that I've been following it pretty closely.

Derby's minor league numbers - at CS at least - are a lot like Blazek's. Blazek gives up a few more hits and walks, but a few less HRs and strikes out a few more. I see him being a swing man/7th reliever type who bounces back and forth between the majors and AAA.

The guy I've been watching is Drake Owenby. Small sample, but since coming off of the DL/rehab assignment he has 12.2 K/9 and a 5.22 K/BB, 5.7 H/9. Had it not been for the injury he would likely have started in Carolina, but it's possible he could jump Carolina next year and go to AA. Possible back-end-of-rotation guy (similar OPS-A vs RHH or LHH), certainly LH reliever prospect.

Archived