Brewer Fanatic

Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Aaron Myers

Mario "Don't Call Me Jose" Feliciano

Jordan Yamamoto

Jon Perrin

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dustin Houle

Mario Feliciano

Jordan Yamamoto

Wang

Roache

Wes Wilson

Virtually all of the pitchers from the 2016 draft class. (Other than Barnes who you wouldn't call under the radar I guess) I just don't have a feel for any of those guys yet.

It would be great to have another Brandon Woodruff story happen again this year, where a pitcher seems to come out of nowhere to earn Top 100 prospect status by the the end of the year.

My potential candidates would be:

Zach Brown

Trey Supak

Josh Pennington

Braden Webb

Nash Walters

I know all of these guys may not be necessarily considered "under the radar," but I would say that it would be a great story if just one of them could make a Woodruff-like leap here in 2017.

I guess it depends on how you define under the radar. I wouldn't say Feliciano is that - he was the 75th overall pick in the draft last year.

Some DSL guys:

-Moises Perez, C/1B: Posted the best league-adjusted power numbers of any player that played in the Brewers' minor league system last year, and was significantly better than the second best power producer, Ronnie Gideon. It's all pull power and no idea if he sticks as a catcher or not, but one of the more intriguing power displays in the past 4-5 years.

-Joaquin De La Cruz, RHP: Converted 3B from the Cardinals organization, 8th best league-adjusted GB rate among Brewers minor leaguers with at least 50 IP. Also had above average BB% and K%. No idea how hard or what he throws, but we should see him stateside this summer so we may find out soon.

Other pitchers:

-Jon Olzcak struck out everyone last year in Brevard. Throws 90-94 with a slider that flashes plus.

-Conor Harber has a CB that spins a ton and can work in the low 90's. Gets a lot of GBs and produced a lot of weak contact last year in Wisconsin. Above average K% and BB% as well.

-Nattino Diplan has been in the system for quite awhile now (the original Diplan!), and has had erratic results, but he does throw in the low-mid 90's and has a wipeout slider (with little control of it). He finds any semblance of command, he could be a top 30 prospect instantly.

-Aaron Myers has posted some video game-like numbers at points in his first few years in the system. Does not throw hard at all, but appears to hide the ball well and induces extraordinarily awkward swings at times. Looking forward to seeing him in Wisconsin.

Other hitters:

-Jay Feliciano has a middle linebacker-esque frame reminiscent of Demi Orimoloye. Very good arm, plus raw power. Has a ways to go at the plate and is a little older.

-Yeraldy Martinez is one of the better athletes in the system and too has plus power and a good arm, but is raw at the plate.

-Troy Stokes isn't that under the radar, but he was the only player in the system last year to post above average wRC+, and better than league-adjusted average in BB%, contact%, power, and scouted speed.

-Max McDowell, again not that under the radar, but did everything well last year except hit for power. He's athletic enough to stick behind the plate, but he could also play 2B or any of the four corners.

I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year, and called Zack Brown in the draft (not in the correct round), so I'm still on those guys.

Not sure that Feliciano qualifies as "under the radar" as a 2nd round pick.

Not sure if Burkhalter will make it back this year but he was off to a Perrin-lite start until he got hurt. QTC (Quentin Torres-Costa) struck out 11.3/9 last year and could be a future LH reliever. And Mitch Ghelfi quietly had a really good season.

Under the "back from the dead", it would be really nice to see Coulter's finish at AA be for real.

Mario Felciano is my #1

Have a feeling Braden Webb is a guy who might come out in dominate fashion. Him and Z. Brown I think will star in that T-Rat rotation

Blake Lillas has filled out body, read he pitched very well in Spring, is a lefty, and sometimes it's nice when Robin gets to shine. In high school at most schools he'd be a prize.... But Riley Pint coasted a giant shadow.

Lara, Gatewood, & Harrison dont really count as underradar but all were top 10 guys at one point who have all dropped greatly with depth added. I just feel those three in year 3 click! Harrison just needs to stay healthy.... Lara needs to put 2 full halfs of a season together, and Gatewood..... if he hits like he did this spring....He may claim 1B of future! Contact just needs to be consistent

Dustin Houle was raved about & I always liked him. Think he is best catching prospect A+ & up (sorry McDowell you are a close 2nd)

One of Rijo or Bethencourt make a step after not being good last year.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
McClanahan is another guy I'll be keeping an eye on.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year

No idea what "on" means, but I liked Harber the first time I saw him pitch back in the first week of April last year. It's in a link report somewhere. Does that make me on him?

Anyway, Lillis is a good call (someone is clearly on him). Velocity is pretty decent for a HS LHP, 86-88. We'll see how the secondary stuff works. Got a lot of ground balls in an extremely small sample last year. Still surprised they were able to sign him.

I think Harber was one of my responses to something like this last year, and he's done nothing to change my mind, especially if he has indeed earned a rotation spot at Carolina.

Others:

Preston Gainey: My pick to pull a Jacob Barnes and force his way onto the 40-man at year's end.

Jose Cuas: While I agree with a lot of the 2016 picks mentioned, there are a couple from the previous draft at Wisconsin who intrigue me. Cuas was fed to the wolves last season, getting pushed up to BC because of a numbers game, and this is one case where a demotion, and the playing time that goes with it, might actually be a signal of confidence in him by the Brewers.

Jordan Desguin: Not as much pitching experience as most prospects his age and was successful in an extended stint in Wisconsin last season.

On this site, I don't think anyone is under the radar!

I like the call of Zack Brown. He's very much like Jamey Wright (don't let that effect your opinion of him, I mean that in a positive way) in that he has good size and stuff, and when he's on he's nearly unhittable. Being more on more frequently is the next step of his development, and you never know when that's going to happen for a pitcher with extreme fastball movement.

I think Medeiros could be under the radar given the disappointment from last year. Same goes for Roache or even guys like Coulter and Taylor. The video Mass Haas shared on Twitter of Medieros was pretty encouraging, as it was pretty clear the trust in his slider was alive in well.

I'm going to go with Thomas Jankins and Eric Hanhold. Jankins of course was taken in last year's draft and had a very solid overall prospect profile with good size and stuff. Plus, the result were pretty encouraging. Hanhold is an interesting player in that he went to college but profiles more closely to a high school player, taking longer to develop than one would like, and he spent more of his time at Florida coming out of the bullpen, which saved his arm but limited his experience. However, the size and stuff are there, and if he's getting more and more used to starting he could be on the cusp of a very good season.

Jose Sibrian, the Dominican League catcher. He was the best catcher in that bunch last year and batted 3rd when in the lineup. I suspect he is a better hitter than the numbers indicated last year and spent at least some of the time injured.

1B Ronnie Gideon

UT Weston Wilson

C/IF Gabriel Garcia

OF Michael Reed

I don't know that Michael Reed is under the radar. He's been on the radar for quire a while, it's just that he's been identified as a flock of geese rather than an ICBM.

Seeing as though a few have taken some liberty with the original question, i would like to follow in that vein. There are just too many to highlight- i'm definitely with many of you who said, you'll be looking forward to following all of them!

So, to narrow them down i put them in ten different categories:

1) All of 2016 Draft Class

Can't wait to see what they all do in year two. Especially Ronnie Gideon and Jose Gomez. Gideon to see if he can still excel against pitchers his own age and Gomez, because who doesn't want to root for Gomeyito. I also love the upside of Braden Webb and think Burnes is going to continue to rise quickly. Guys who fall later in the draft due to signability concerns are often under the radar due to their draft position, guys like Lillis, Zach Clark, Gabriel Garcia, and not under the radar McLanahan. And of course there's our exciting top 3 picks.

2) All the Newbies

Always fun to follow fresh faces. But, I'm particularly intrigued by Art Charles- dominating the Indy league, has a similar Eric Thames mystery quality to him. And of course not under the radar, but excited to see what Dubon and Pennington do. Also, not sure if these guys are still considered prospects, but think Ramsey is under most people's radar and would love to see Aguilar get some regular MLB ABs. In addition, i'd also include the guys brought over in trades last year excited to get a longer look at them too.

I guess I can add positional newbies here too- particularly Ramirez and Berberet. Hopefully they'll have more success than recent attempts of Max Walla and Hitaniel Arias.

3) Lost Their Luster

as several have mentioned, some guys who, even casual brewer fans may have heard of, recently were highly rated prospects, but have fallen off most top lists for variety of reasons including, Roache, Coulter, Demi, Lara, T. Taylor, Medeiros, Phillips, Lopez, Harrison, Gatewood. Coulter had an exciting 2nd half last year, after being called up to AA, Gatewood has looked good this spring, Harrison is healthy, Demi & Lara are still so young, and #Why can't Reed hit for power? From comments around the board i think there are many who feel hope these guys are gonna break out again.

4) Back on the Field

Guys who are coming off injury offer additional intrigue as we see if they can regain their form. We've got quite a few who are either starting the year after missing much of last year or will be joining the team later this year. Will pay attention to all of them, especially, T. Williams, Kirby, Nolin, Barrios, Luna, Burkhalter, Missaki and both of the Leals. extra intriguing is we haven't really even had an extended chance to see most of these guys. Barrios & Carlos Leal still barely have any pro time at their current position, so despite the former's age, still are young, developmentally. Kirby is going to come out firing- such a long wait! and the excitement around T. Will has already been building since the rule v draft.

5) Disappointed They Won't Be Joining Us

I'll still keep an eye on them and root for them, but was looking forward to following their progress with the Brewers this season. Wish they could have had one more season to see what was what including Denson, T. Perry, Collymore, Terry, Saldivar, and of course higher prospects Liriano & M. Diaz. And an honorary shoutout to Walker and Nading and Decker (not a prospect), who never were- lol.

6) Oldies But Goodies

Definitely not considered prospects anymore, but guys who have had a lot of minor league success and hope they do well to get, in some cases, another shot at the bigs. Especially Dillard, Espino, Wilkerson, Burgos.

7) On the Cusp

In danger of being in the aforementioned grouping, these guys need to solidify themselves on the MLB team or else they will be lost amongst the incoming slew of prospects in the next 2 years. that urgency will make me follow them a little closer. Cravy, Wang, Suter, Magnifico, Jungmann, Orf, Reed

8) DSL $babies

the DSL is often intriguing because of the lack of scouting info that gets back stateside to the public. other than stats, sometimes the most helpful info is what they signed for. so, when you see a half-million dollars tied to a name, you tend to take notice, so i'd include recent signees Pablo Abreu, Jean Carmona, Jose Sibrian, Francis Tolentino, Jesus Lujano, Victor Maria, Antonio Pinero.

10) Just Cause

I don't know, we all grow statistical attachments to certain players that we inexplicably root a little more for. maybe we think they're underappreciated or maybe they have the same last name as you. either way, we look extra forward to checking out their box scores. for me, this year, guys who haven't been mentioned yet, i'd include Brandon Diaz- great rookie season, was enamored w a fangraphs article on him after that year, that predicted him to excel- can't separate that out of my mind. Johnny Davis- so fast. so fast. Josh Uhen- call me a homer, but who doesn't want to root for a local guy? Christian Trent- He is one of those guys i kept asking last year, why has he not moved up yet? Ponce- not under the radar, but lost a little luster after his horrid 2nd half last year, but still think he is a fast riser- just have a feeling about him. in the same way as Trent Clark- I know he's not under the radar either, and even though he looks aloof at times, i think he's one of the most natural hitters i've seen in a while. And, among other reasons, the guys who just have cool names- Magnifico, Bubba Derby, Forrest Snow, Troy Stokes to name a few.

So Exciting

Their tools are electric. Will definitely be following them closely, along with everyone else.

Corey Ray, Josh Hader, & Lewis Brinson

I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year

No idea what "on" means, but I liked Harber the first time I saw him pitch back in the first week of April last year. It's in a link report somewhere. Does that make me on him?

Pretty sure I was the only person - excluding those who built lists well beyond 50 - who had Harber on their top prospects list. Not in the top 25, but I had him in the low 30's. That's more of my definition.

Archived