Brewer Fanatic

One LH bat on bench is not enough

Considering winning as many games as possible isn't really the goal of the team right now, I doubt they make any moves to specifically address it.

That makes perfect sense.

From the standpoint of a fan though, I want them to win. I wanted the win today. I get it though.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't think it's such a crazy thing that they go to a 12 man pitching roster and add another LH hitter to the bench. It didn't help that we have to go to our bench so early today because of an injury but it shows how short handed we can become in situations like that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You usually keep an extra pitcher early in the season since the starters don't go as deep. In our case specifically for some reason we play 23 games in 24 days which is just weird for the opening weeks. As the season goes on they can probably shift one pitcher to a hitter.

To give you another teams example, the Cubs play 24 games all of April and start a day earlier than us, so they have 4 off days. We play 26 games and get 2 off days the full month. Not sure how that happens but it really puts us in a bad situation early in the season.

The decision to go with 13 pitchers and a four-man bench is more at issue than whether one or two of those four are LH hitters. As long as we feel the need to have the extra arm, we will be limited on our bench.

With Milone the likely guy to take Guerra's rotation spot, we will probably need to keep the extra arm in the pen. I'd guess that Cravy will be the likely call-up since he's on the 40-man.

Also, this makes the decision to put Garza on the 10-day DL rather than cutting him look a lot better. Hopefully Milone will only get one start and then Garza will be ready to step into the rotation. More than anything though, I hope it's a minor issue and Guerra is back quickly.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hate to say it but Scooter would have helped today

In other news, Scooter had 2 run HR in his first game as Red.

The team moved Villar to 2B and acquired Shaw because in their minds that made them better right now. If they are trying to lose, why do that. They let Scooter go because they didn't want to pay a measly $2.5 million for a bench bat despite one of the lowest payrolls in the game.

The decision to go with 13 pitchers and a four-man bench is more at issue than whether one or two of those four are LH hitters. As long as we feel the need to have the extra arm, we will be limited on our bench.

With Milone the likely guy to take Guerra's rotation spot, we will probably need to keep the extra arm in the pen. I'd guess that Cravy will be the likely call-up since he's on the 40-man.

Also, this makes the decision to put Garza on the 10-day DL rather than cutting him look a lot better. Hopefully Milone will only get one start and then Garza will be ready to step into the rotation. More than anything though, I hope it's a minor issue and Guerra is back quickly.

They can at least bring up an extra bat until that spot in the rotation comes up then replace him with Hader to start, not Milone. Wren fits that role perfectly. Not only is he LH, he's a contact guy on a team starved for them.

The team moved Villar to 2B and acquired Shaw because in their minds that made them better right now. If they are trying to lose, why do that.

Because Scooter has no place on the team now, or in the future. This season is all about trying to see exactly what they have in Villar and probably to a lesser extent Perez. They knew exactly who Scooter was as a player, which is limited offensively and defensively, and determined (rightfully in my opinion) that he is not a core piece going forward. 2017 will further help them decide if Villar and Perez are.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The team moved Villar to 2B and acquired Shaw because in their minds that made them better right now. If they are trying to lose, why do that.

Because Scooter has no place on the team now, or in the future. This season is all about trying to see exactly what they have in Villar and probably to a lesser extent Perez. They knew exactly who Scooter was as a player, which is limited offensively and defensively, and determined (rightfully in my opinion) that he is not a core piece going forward. 2017 will further help them decide if Villar and Perez are.

Don't waste your breath. He has his mind made up on a player and won't let it go. This trend has played itself out over... and over.... and over again.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They can at least bring up an extra bat until that spot in the rotation comes up then replace him with Hader to start, not Milone. Wren fits that role perfectly. Not only is he LH, he's a contact guy on a team starved for them.

They probably won't bring Hader up for one start, as I think that would make him a Super 2 player. If Guerra was lost for a long period then they might, but I'd guess they'll just suffer through a Milone start and then put either Garza or Guerra into the rotation if one of them is ready. Your scenario to get another bat on the bench could work if they decide to let Jungmann get the start. There's no harm in calling him up for one start, and they wouldn't need to add him until after Friday's game. That might not be a bad option.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

They probably won't bring Hader up for one start, as I think that would make him a Super 2 player. If Guerra was lost for a long period then they might, but I'd guess they'll just suffer through a Milone start and then put either Garza or Guerra into the rotation if one of them is ready. Your scenario to get another bat on the bench could work if they decide to let Jungmann get the start. There's no harm in calling him up for one start, and they wouldn't need to add him until after Friday's game. That might not be a bad option.

No need to call Jungmann up, he's already in the bullpen. Or did you mean Wren? He's not on the 40 man, so I really doubt they would do that. Especially since there will be a need more than ever to have a 13 man pitching staff in the short term.

In other news, Scooter had 2 run HR in his first game as Red.

The team moved Villar to 2B and acquired Shaw because in their minds that made them better right now. If they are trying to lose, why do that. They let Scooter go because they didn't want to pay a measly $2.5 million for a bench bat despite one of the lowest payrolls in the game.

Or maybe they made those moves because they wanted to optimize Villar's value on the defensive spectrum while playing him at his best position, they thought Shaw was undervalued and anyway they needed at least a placeholder at 3b, and they just didn't think Gennett was very good. I use the word "maybe" because I'm not omniscient, which is actually a real thing.

Also, Khris Davis went three for four with two homers on opening day. You're welcome. (That plus Gennett's dinger provides conclusive proof that Stearns is a hack. Plus he's too young to be smart, and he may have given Tyler Cravy a sad. Fire him!)

Suter called up. Looks like either he or Milone will get the start, with the other acting as LH reliever.

~Bill Walsh

In other news, Scooter had 2 run HR in his first game as Red.The team moved Villar to 2B and acquired Shaw because in their minds that made them better right now. If they are trying to lose, why do that. They let Scooter go because they didn't want to pay a measly $2.5 million for a bench bat despite one of the lowest payrolls in the game.

Gennett didn't have enough position flexibility and that's why i think he was let go.

He doesn't have a strong enough arm to play thirdbase or range/arm for shortstop, so that left him as simply a backup at secondbase. With Perez around to back up all infield spots and the team deciding to carry 13 pitchers, there wasn't a spot for Scooter given Villar would be playing everyday at secondbase.

As for Shaw, he wasn't acquired because Stearns thought Shaw would just make the team better right now. Stearns is hoping that Shaw with a chance to play everyday and entering his potential prime years can become a fixture at thirdbase for years to come, not only this season. Watching Shaw at the plate, he sure does have a pretty swing. Granted, that doesn't mean he's a lock for a breakout season, but i do think there is at least a chance for it. His body type and swing kinda reminds me of former Brewer Dave Nilsson.

Why would one start make Hader a Super 2? Unless there was a significant change in the new CBA that I missed you need a lot more service time than that.

Why would one start make Hader a Super 2? Unless there was a significant change in the new CBA that I missed you need a lot more service time than that.

You're right. My mind blanked and I was thinking that it was based on initial call-up date, but it's not. It's based on service time for the season, so it would just mean that they'd probably wait a little longer into the season to call him up for good.

~Bill Walsh

One LH bat on the bench would be more of an issue if we didn't now possess 3 LHB as starters. So overall there are 4 LHB. Which is more than last year's team, aside from the early Walsh/Flores experiment. And on a lineup like today with Aguilar instead of Thames now there are 2 LHBs on the bench.

Out of MLB's top 10 ranking for Milw, we have 5 batters who are Left Handed. So the next thing in 2 years we'll be asking for RHB off the bench.

Archived