Brewer Fanatic

2017 Random MLB news and notes thread

Patrick425
This story claims pitchers throw too many fastballs. The Yankees are using a strategy of using more sliders and fewer fastballs. Interesting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/yankees-pitching-strategy-fewer-fastballs-2017-7

This has been a trend around baseball all year. Everyone throws 95+ now. And any major league hitter can catch up to now. A big fastball just isn't as big of a deal as it was before so teams are having their pitchers throw more breaking balls and generally to greater success. Certainly it has to be part of the reason Suter has been so successful so far. Hitters just don't see fastballs as slow as his and it takes a while for them to get it timed.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading an article about Josh Hader on JSOnline and it said that he wasn't able to wear 17 so he went with 71. The Brewers haven't retired 17 and Gantner hasn't played in forever so why can't he wear it?

Q. Your uniform number is 71, which is also unique in the major leagues. You’re only the second 71 in Brewers history as well (Scott Linebrink, 2007). But 17 is the number you’ve had for most of your career previously. It’s not retired in Milwaukee, but it won’t be issued anytime soon, either, because it belonged previously to Jim Gantner. Have you ever talked to him about it?

A. I’ve never talked to him about the number situation. I’m sure maybe he heard something. But it’s a number. If I could get it, I’d get it.

http://ow.ly/KQwr30e3J78

I was reading an article about Josh Hader on JSOnline and it said that he wasn't able to wear 17 so he went with 71. The Brewers haven't retired 17 and Gantner hasn't played in forever so why can't he wear it?

Q. Your uniform number is 71, which is also unique in the major leagues. You’re only the second 71 in Brewers history as well (Scott Linebrink, 2007). But 17 is the number you’ve had for most of your career previously. It’s not retired in Milwaukee, but it won’t be issued anytime soon, either, because it belonged previously to Jim Gantner. Have you ever talked to him about it?

A. I’ve never talked to him about the number situation. I’m sure maybe he heard something. But it’s a number. If I could get it, I’d get it.

http://ow.ly/KQwr30e3J78

Rock was talking about this during a game a couple weeks ago. The Brewers won't give it out because of Gantner. This organization really needs to get over 1982.

I mean they've given out Cooper and Thomas' numbers through the years, why in the heck would they hold 17 for Jim friggin Gantner. This 1982 nonsense has got to stop. I hope the Brewers organization is starting to pick up on the fact that people are fine with moving on.

Anyone else see the video of that little league kid hitting a ball about 400 feet? Certainly impressive even though he's got the body of an 18 year old and uses juiced metal bats. While it's not the reason I don't watch the LLWS anymore I do find it annoying that basically every kid hits a homerun, even the 4'5", 80 pound kids. Still half of them can't field an easy ground ball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reds-prospects-record-setting-hit-streak-ends-controversial-walk-223216821.html

So basically this guy has a 38 game hitting streak and is 0-fer is what is certainly his last at bat. The pitcher first tries to hit him, then the batter swings at 3 pitches, and then the pitcher gives him two no where near the plate for a walk. Benches cleared before the batter got to first. According to the announcers something happened the game before and that's why they did this. The only thing I'm taking away from this is how bad the announcers were. Saying this is a black eye for the Dodgers organization (because Dodgers management ordered their low A team to walk a guy with a hitting streak on the line) and it's terrible for minor league baseball because this streak was such a great thing that brought the player and the team notoriety (first I've ever heard of this streak).

I mean they've given out Cooper and Thomas' numbers through the years, why in the heck would they hold 17 for Jim friggin Gantner. This 1982 nonsense has got to stop. I hope the Brewers organization is starting to pick up on the fact that people are fine with moving on.

The difference is that Gantner is often asked to come back and be on an on-field assistant during batting practice and warmups. Sort of like a non-official member of the coaching staff. Even though he doesn't suit up for games he still always has worn number 17 during the times I have seen him in uniform during BP and I am fairly positive he still has a locker in the clubhouse.

That's another topic in itself. Why would he possibly need to wear a uniform to do things like that? Just like managers/coaches during games, makes no sense. I remember a few years ago some manager got fined for not complying somehow, like just wearing a pullover without the jersey. Something of that nature, don't recall for sure. I wanna say it was Francona when he was still in Boston

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/15/kinsler-angel-hernandez-hes-messing-baseball-games-blatantly/104635246/

“No, I’m surprised at how bad an umpire he is,” Kinsler said. “I don’t know how, for as many years he’s been in the league, that he can be that bad. He needs to reevaluate his career choice, he really does. Bottom line.”

“This has to do with changing the game,” Kinsler said. “He’s changing the game. He needs to find another job. He really does.”

Angel Hernandez is one of those guys that if he's behind the plate, you know there will be some questionable calls. He's horrible at calling a game and an instigator of conflict. The article also mentions he's consistently rated one of the worst umpires by the players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Last night Travis d'Arnaud was forced to play infield because of injuries. The Mets flipped him and Asdrubal Cabrera back and forth between 2nd and 3rd twenty-three times, depending on whether there was a right handed or left handed batter up, to try to shield him from having to field a ball. It largely worked, as the only ball he had to field was an infield pop up in the 9th inning.

From ESPN:

TRADING PLACES

The Mets said it was d'Arnaud's first professional appearance at third base -- though he spent much of the game playing second. The Mets flip-flopped Cabrera and d'Arnaud some 23 times depending on the batter and baserunners, hoping to keep the ball away from d'Arnaud. They were largely successful: His only chance in the field was a popup to second that he caught with a grin in the ninth. "I was fired up," d'Arnaud said. "It was fun. ... I wanted to make a diving play down the line, rob someone of a base hit like people do to me."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=370816121

Last night Travis d'Arnaud was forced to play infield because of injuries. The Mets flipped him and Asdrubal Cabrera back and forth between 2nd and 3rd twenty-three times, depending on whether there was a right handed or left handed batter up, to try to shield him from having to field a ball. It largely worked, as the only ball he had to field was an infield pop up in the 9th inning.

From ESPN:

TRADING PLACES

The Mets said it was d'Arnaud's first professional appearance at third base -- though he spent much of the game playing second. The Mets flip-flopped Cabrera and d'Arnaud some 23 times depending on the batter and baserunners, hoping to keep the ball away from d'Arnaud. They were largely successful: His only chance in the field was a popup to second that he caught with a grin in the ninth. "I was fired up," d'Arnaud said. "It was fun. ... I wanted to make a diving play down the line, rob someone of a base hit like people do to me."

Wow, there's a team that could really use a versatile veteran infielder like Neil Wal ... oh wait ;)

From ESPN:

TRADING PLACES

Wow, there's a team that could really use a versatile veteran infielder like Neil Wal ... oh wait ;)

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/it-s-official-animal-group-says-cardinals-won-t-be/article_b006b5a4-a8fe-5a80-9847-b152728f6b1a.html

"Cat people are different human beings than the rest of us," said Al Watkins, legal counsel for the nonprofit and Rally Cat—yes, the cat has a lawyer. "They take very seriously that the best interest of the cat is being prioritized and it became clear that the Cardinals were more interested in exploiting the cat for commercial interests."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 weeks later...

Archived