Brewer Fanatic

2017 Random MLB news and notes thread

Patrick425
So do we drop Vogt and pick up Montero? He's clearly the better hitter and picking up Vogt shows that Stearns really doesn't care about his defense.

If I understand the waiver process it starts in the NL with the worst records of the previous year. That would mean that if he isn't traded we would have near the first crack at him?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So do we drop Vogt and pick up Montero? He's clearly the better hitter and picking up Vogt shows that Stearns really doesn't care about his defense.

Montero makes signficantly more money (His contract was $66m/6 years), will turn 34 during the season, is a free agent after this season, and he apparently likes to throw his teammates under the bus in public. Both have similar career hitting stats (98 wRC+ for Vogt, 101 for Montero), so I see no compelling reason at all to do that.

Montero is a terrific teammate (one of the best I've been around), handles a pitching staff well, and good defensively. Vogt is nice on offense, but hasn't he always been a DH that can sub-adequately play C or 1b?

Cubs give up 7 SB and Montero publicly rips pitchers for being slow to the plate. Gotta love trouble in paradise with the scrubs.
The knee-jerk DFA of the guy is a shocker to me. You may be right that there's trouble on the North Side. I'm starting to think that the whole team was 'roiding to beat the band last year. How can SO MANY players drop off all at the same time ?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If I understand the waiver process it starts in the NL with the worst records of the previous year. That would mean that if he isn't traded we would have near the first crack at him?

Montero is making $14M this year. No one will claim him because they'd be responsible for the rest the deal (about $7M). Someone could make a trade with the Cubs, and say, "We'll cover $1M of his salary - you pay the other $6M" and we'll give you a non-prospect. Such a move would save the Cubs a little money.

Montero's bat isn't bad - so an AL team might have interest - back up catcher/DH.

The likely situation is Montero passes through waivers, is released, and just shops around for a decent fit for the rest of the year. In that case, an AL team might give him the most playing time.

Cubs give up 7 SB and Montero publicly rips pitchers for being slow to the plate. Gotta love trouble in paradise with the scrubs.
The knee-jerk DFA of the guy is a shocker to me. You may be right that there's trouble on the North Side. I'm starting to think that the whole team was 'roiding to beat the band last year. How can SO MANY players drop off all at the same time ?

It is tough to repeat. Especially with young players. Lots of celebrating in November/December. Perhaps a little less focus & urgency in offseason workouts. We all knew that pitching staff was getting old(er). Replacing Chapman with W Davis/Uehara? That's a downgrade. Losing Dexter Fowler (or, perhaps better put: losing Dexter Fowler's production at the top of the order and in CF) was underestimated.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The Cubs' struggles stem from numerous areas:

1. Starters aren't all competing for this year's Cy Young

2. Fowler has proven to be a big loss at the top of their order.

3. Turns out Schwarber isn't Babe Ruth - I think they may have missed the boat on dealing him for a haul this offseason, now they've committed to a streaky hitter with pop without a position in the NL.

4. Not the same lockdown pen without Chapman

5. Young players tend to struggle at times, and baseball is really hard

6. Nothing but off-field distractions for a young team - bound to be a hangover.

All that being said, nobody else in the NL Central is better, so they'll probably win the division. Unless their pitching dramatically improves, I don't think they'd be favored in a series against anyone else making the playoffs in the NL this year.

4. Not the same lockdown pen without Chapman

They didn't have Chapman at this time last year and have basically replaced him with Wade Davis anyways. Their bullpen is still really good. Their starters are just having a much more difficult time giving the bullpen a lead to hold on to.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great article about the making of the classic "Bull Durham."

http://sportsrip2.blogspot.com/2017/06/bull-durham-at-29-true-hollywood-story.html?curator=SportsREDEF

Hard to believe it was made 29 years ago.

The article is from Paul Devlin, who worked on the film and appeared as one of the players (he played a couple of years of minor league ball and is now a sports film maker).

It's a pretty awesome story.

We better start the return thread in the proposals forum.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe Lucroy will want to come to Milwaukee so he can finally play for a contender.

Trying to determine another "contender" that would want him...

List of possible destinations appears rather small. The big markets are all filled & he is having a sub-optimal year this season (offensively & defensively).

Cleveland is a solid "NO" at this point. Having Francisco Mejia in the wings for later in 2018/ 2019 is preferable..

Maybe Colorado or Arizona...

Perhaps Minnesota for next season & moving forward...

Verified Member
When you're leading the division and players are having good years, you start to get the national columnists to take note:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/keri-the-10-get-thames-to-wwe-dodgers-hotter-than-the-sun-and-more-mlb-notes/

No ground breaking content, but it's nice to see the Brewers mentioned.

Nice Brewer mention and right on. Thanks for posting. I like seeing national sports outlets recognizing the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived