Brewer Fanatic

2017 Random MLB news and notes thread

Patrick425
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the Padres strike gold with Trevor Cahill (3-2, 3.06 ERA, 44 K's in 35 1/3 innings over 6 starts)? He was signed away from the Cubs for a mere $1.75 million despite a solid 2016 with World Champs who apparently had no interest in bringing him back (they might be regretting that decision now).

I brought up his name this winter because I was surprised how little interest he garnered. His one start last year, he shut the Brewers on 2 hits over 5 innings.

Now the Pads might be able to cash in with a nice return in July.

• 1 month later...
Arrieta should've taken the money the Cubs were offering him. He looks terrible now. Montero just set up on the line for the left handed batters box and the pitch ended up hitting Freese in the shoulder. That's what, a 3 foot miss?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Arrieta should've taken the money the Cubs were offering him. He looks terrible now. Montero just set up on the line for the left handed batters box and the pitch ended up hitting Freese in the shoulder. That's what, a 3 foot miss?

Baseball history is littered with guys who have a couple of years of brilliance - and then nothing. The Scherzer/Price/Kershaw guys are so rare.

Doesn't mean I think Arietta is going to bad forever. Just that I've seen a lot guys leave the stage in a hurry rather than hang around for a long time.

J.J. Hardy out 4-6 weeks. He'll miss the series in Milwaukee. Was looking forward to seeing him again. Hopefully, he'll be back when I'm in Baltimore in four weeks. I missed him in Boston two years ago.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2017/6/20/15835040/jj-hardy-orioles-injury-wrist-manny-machado-shortstop

Edit: interesting note on Alcedes Escobar in the article.

J.J. Hardy out 4-6 weeks. He'll miss the series in Milwaukee. Was looking forward to seeing him again. Hopefully, he'll be back when I'm in Baltimore in four weeks. I missed him in Boston two years ago.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2017/6/20/15835040/jj-hardy-orioles-injury-wrist-manny-machado-shortstop

Edit: interesting note on Alcedes Escobar in the article.

Well Arcia is hitting better than those two so far this year. Where does Escobar's offensive season rank along with all-time worst seasons for an everyday position player.

Found this list https://www.google.com/amp/www.sportingnews.com/amp/mlb/list/worst-hitters-21st-century-omar-infante-brad-ausmus-juan-uribe-neifi-perez-alcides-escobar-billy-hamilton/dcsdtr2iv6zx1mk8bvb4jeogn Escobar made this for a different season

The anti-Tim Tebow movement is crazy to me. I get that Charleston was messing around. But if you read the message boards on this story posted anywhere there is still a lot of hostility towards Tebow (probably mainly because he continues to get a crazy amount of coverage).

HOWEVER, I was in Columbia, SC a few weeks back and stopped in for a double header at Spirit Communications Park to watch Tebow play. Does he look stiff in the box? Yep. Does he take crazy routes to baseballs in left field? Yep. Is he going to make the Majors someday? Very likely no. But I will tell you two things… Tebow probably signed autographs for a combined 35-40 minutes surrounding the two games while his teammates signed 5-10 autographs each? Tebow took pictures with basically everyone that asked. He was also bombarded CONSTANTLY with little kids screaming his name while he was in the field and whenever there was an extended break in action he would acknowledge/wave to the kids which would send them into hysterics back to their parents.

I really tried to think cynically about his attitude/demeanor that day and try to convince myself he is doing this for the attention and to stay in the headlines but I just couldn’t do it. He is an ESPN personality … if he wanted to stay in the limelight there are 300 different ways he could do it better than play minor league baseball. I think he is just a genuinely good person and is taking advantage of opportunities where they are falling.

Hard for me to be mad at him.

Verified Member
The anti-Tim Tebow movement is crazy to me. I get that Charleston was messing around. But if you read the message boards on this story posted anywhere there is still a lot of hostility towards Tebow (probably mainly because he continues to get a crazy amount of coverage).

HOWEVER, I was in Columbia, SC a few weeks back and stopped in for a double header at Spirit Communications Park to watch Tebow play. Does he look stiff in the box? Yep. Does he take crazy routes to baseballs in left field? Yep. Is he going to make the Majors someday? Very likely no. But I will tell you two things… Tebow probably signed autographs for a combined 35-40 minutes surrounding the two games while his teammates signed 5-10 autographs each? Tebow took pictures with basically everyone that asked. He was also bombarded CONSTANTLY with little kids screaming his name while he was in the field and whenever there was an extended break in action he would acknowledge/wave to the kids which would send them into hysterics back to their parents.

I really tried to think cynically about his attitude/demeanor that day and try to convince myself he is doing this for the attention and to stay in the headlines but I just couldn’t do it. He is an ESPN personality … if he wanted to stay in the limelight there are 300 different ways he could do it better than play minor league baseball. I think he is just a genuinely good person and is taking advantage of opportunities where they are falling.

Hard for me to be mad at him.

Good post. I agree.

K-Rod released by the tigers. Probably not worth picking up despite how inconsistent our bullpen has been.

[sarcasm]come on! We should pick him up and then flip him for a 3rd prospect![/sarcasm]

Was watching the Cubs/Nats game on ESPN gamecast. They showed a pitch called a strike well below the strikezone. I went over the MLB Gameday and they showed the same pitch well within the strikezone.

ESPN gamecast is terrible. I'm always directed to it when I go on the ESPN app and I just quickly look at the score and exit out of it, it's that bad.

Cubs give up 7 SB and Montero publicly rips pitchers for being slow to the plate. Gotta love trouble in paradise with the scrubs.

I saw that Montero is 0-31 in throwing out runners this year. So it's not just Arrieta's fault (although Arrieta is slow to the plate).

If Montero was hitting poorly, I would expect him to be released. Calling out your pitcher - even if he was playing poorly - is just not something you do publicly like that. I mean, it's one thing to say, "Hey, we need to get better at holding the runners on. Speeding up our delivery - and throwing the guys out." But to just blame the pitcher is weird.

But Montero is hitting well this year - so I doubt something like that happens.

Cubs give up 7 SB and Montero publicly rips pitchers for being slow to the plate. Gotta love trouble in paradise with the scrubs.

I saw that Montero is 0-31 in throwing out runners this year. So it's not just Arrieta's fault (although Arrieta is slow to the plate).

If Montero was hitting poorly, I would expect him to be released. Calling out your pitcher - even if he was playing poorly - is just not something you do publicly like that. I mean, it's one thing to say, "Hey, we need to get better at holding the runners on. Speeding up our delivery - and throwing the guys out." But to just blame the pitcher is weird.

But Montero is hitting well this year - so I doubt something like that happens.

And right after I posted, Rizzo took a shot at Montero. Called him selfish.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19758582/cubs-anthony-rizzo-admonishes-miguel-montero-jake-arrieta-comments

.800 OPS Someone will come calling even though he couldn't throw out Bartolo Colon
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived