Brewer Fanatic

2017 Random MLB news and notes thread

Patrick425

I don't think a random thread has been started for 2017 yet. If so, I missed it and I apologize.

Anyways, I'll start it with this. I agree that Javier Baez is a very talented fielder, but had to role my eyes at what I just witnessed in the Cubs/Cards game on ESPN. Baez misplayed a grounder and blamed the white sign behind home plate on not being able to see the ball, so they rolled the sign to a darker option. First of all...maybe it's true that the sign somehow took some role him him misplaying the ball, but I have my doubts. Even if it did, what's next? Teams can't wear white uniforms? The Cards are wearing white tonight and the ball could have also easily blended in with the batters uniform as he was leaving the box. What about the fans behind home plate, especially in stadiums like Dodger stadium where the fans are basically exposed with no wall behind them. Fan's can't wear white now? Are we now going to have to have a "fielder's eye" behind home plate..how far does that extend? I just thought the whole episode was ridiculous.

Javier..you misplayed the ball because you misplayed the ball. It happens. Just own it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning the Chicago news, of course, was focused on the Cubs home opener. But they spent a lot of time talking about this new park, The Park at Wrigley, and repeatedly called it a "family-friendly" park that will show "family-friendly" movies. The word "family" was used repeatedly.

I hope the implication is that with their new success, and increased demand for tickets, advertising, and other revenue sources, they will be much less tolerant of the typical frat boy drunks that pollute the place in making it "family-friendly".

Nice seeing Rickie Weeks still getting it done, playing for the Rays. Saw him drive in a run today vs NYY. I am convinced he would've been a borderline HOF candidate without all the injuries. Pretty biased though, I recognize.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Toronto trailing today and looking at a 2-10 start. Thought they had enough offense left to be better than that

Toronto had five starters make 29 or more starts. Happ and Estrada are older guys who had their best - or near best - season of their careers. That was a recipe for regression - at least on the pitching staff.

They've got a 34 year old catcher, a 36 year old outfielder, a 32 year old SS, a 34 year old DH, and a 31 year old 3B - something is bound to break.

Again, all of it is a recipe for an implosion.

Honestly, I'm not blaming the Blue Jays for giving it a try. It's just a risky proposition with so many older players. And it's still really early - so they could get it together yet.

Nice seeing Rickie Weeks still getting it done, playing for the Rays. Saw him drive in a run today vs NYY. I am convinced he would've been a borderline HOF candidate without all the injuries. Pretty biased though, I recognize.

Rickie got plowed over by a base runner in fair territory the other day...

http://www.draysbay.com/2017/4/12/15278064/yankees-brett-gardner-rays-rickie-weeks-jr-collision-first-base

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

In the game today Jason Heyward made a throw to the plate on a routine fly, about 2/3rds of the way between the infield and the wall, and threw it at good 18-20' up the 3rd base line. The runner aborted when Heyward threw it, but it got by the catcher and the runner scored.

This is not the first time I've seen this from Heyward. I do not understand where this "elite defensive OF" label comes from, because his throwing accuracy is average at best if not below-average.

Rickie got plowed over by a base runner in fair territory the other day...

http://www.draysbay.com/2017/4/12/15278064/yankees-brett-gardner-rays-rickie-weeks-jr-collision-first-base

Look at the picture of Gardner in the article. He looks like he's wearing a fake skull cap in a crappy movie.

Blows my mind that an organization as supposedly forward thinking & historically defensively conscious as TB would put Weeks anywhere near first base. He always looked extremely uncomfortable over there covering from second on bunts and obviously lacks the ideal height for the position. I guess if he hits around his career average of 128 wRC+ against lefties it's maybe kinda worth it?

Weeks was a DH today in Boston

Meanwhile JA Happ might be out with an elbow injury. Blue Jays are going from bad to worse in a hurry

Don't look now but Thames has twice as many HR's as Mike Trout

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/minosmi01.shtml

This dude played in MLB in 5 different decades. Incredible.

The amazing Minnie Minoso.

Check out his minor league stats as well. He played in the Negro Leagues for several years before coming to the majors, then he played in Mexico until he was 47.

But he also got in a game in independent ball in 1993 and in 2003 (at age 77!). He walked in his final plate appearance for St. Paul of the Northern League.

Of course, the latter two were complete stunts (as were his final major league at bats in 1976 and 1980 - thanks, Bill Veeck!).

People remember Minoso for the weird at bats late in life - but he was a hell of a player.

Freddie Freeman thinks Miller Park is "a little league field":

"I think it's a bad-lit Little League field," Freeman said, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "I can't see anything here."

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19278109/freddie-freeman-atlanta-braves-calls-milwaukee-brewers-miller-park-bad-lit-little-league-field

For being poorly lit, he and the rest of his team sure are hitting the ball well. He might be the only one I've ever heard complain about hitting at Miller Park.

Not a bad day for Anthony Rendon: 6 AB. 5 Runs, 6 Hits, 3 HR, 1 2B, 16 Total Bases, 10 RBI.

The MLB better have a pee cup ready for him after the game.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Normally I'm not a hurry up the pace of play kind of guy but the amount of trips to the mound that Willson Contreras takes to the mound is ridiculous. Umpires need to tell him to knock it off and get back behind the plate.

Archived