Brewer Fanatic

Your 2017 Biloxi Shuckers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

DeMuth staying mentally tough in Minors

By ZACK ELDRIDGE - Staff Writer, TheNewsDispatch.com (Michigan City, IN)

595da0c5a26e6.image.jpg?resize=490%2C400

Former La Porte High School baseball star Dustin DeMuth bats in a game for the Biloxi Shuckers, the Double A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers Photo courtesy of Hunter Reed/Biloxi Shuckers

Early in the campaign, Dustin DeMuth was raking and he felt good.

Since, he’s hit a bit of a wall on the baseball field, but his overall numbers are still decent.

Nevertheless, the former La Porte High School baseball star and current Biloxi Shucker has tried to stay grounded throughout the ebbs and flows of a Minor League Baseball season.

So far this season, DeMuth is hitting .252 with 23 RBI for the Biloxi (Miss.) Shuckers, the Double A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

“It’s been going well,” DeMuth said. “The first couple of weeks went really well. And then, I’ve kind of hit a lull here in the middle of the season. But hopefully, we can get back on track and start swinging it better and start winning some more games.”

On May 9, DeMuth was hitting .294. But his average has dropped since.

In total, DeMuth has a .343 on-base percentage and a .350 slugging percentage in 66 games. He has 54 hits, including 10 doubles and three home runs.

DeMuth, who was drafted by the Brewers in the fifth round in 2014 out of Indiana University, helped Biloxi to a 36-33 record in the first half of the season, which ended on June 18. So far in the second half, the Shuckers have a 6-6 mark.

DeMuth has primarily been playing first base for Biloxi, after playing first and third previously in his pro career.

He has had some noteworthy games this season.

In a game on June 13, DeMuth had three hits with a home run.

In addition, he had a walk-off single in early May.

He said what sticks out the most to him from this season so far is the stellar pitching he and his teammates have to play against on a daily basis.

“Just the amount of good pitching we face throughout the season,” DeMuth said. “Every team we play, there’s a good amount of arms on each team, so it’s a grind day in and day out, but that’s what baseball is.”

He added it’s more of a mental challenge to stay positive all the time when you hit a rough patch.

“Definitely the mental part of the game is probably most important, to be honest,” DeMuth said. “Just trying to trick yourself to saying, ‘You feel good at the plate, or you’re seeing this guy well.’ It’s kind of just trying to trick yourself into thinking that you’re feeling better than maybe what you are.”

DeMuth has been with Biloxi since late July last year. And he turns 26 years old on July 30.

When asked, ‘Do you think there’s a possibility you might get moved up to Triple A this season? Or are you kind of not focused on that, just really more on doing your job day in and day out?’

DeMuth replied: “I’m more focused on just doing my job. I can’t really control if I get moved up or whatever. So I’m just trying to do the best I can day in and day out. And if they feel I’ve earned my promotion, then so be it. But if I don’t, I’m not going to say it wasn’t a good season if I don’t get moved up.”

• 2 weeks later...
I was at the Biloxi game yesterday in Pensacola and three scouts from the Orioles were in house specfic to watch Luis Ortiz. How do I know they were watching him ? They told me they weren't leaving until he was done. Blue Jays, Marlins, and Pirates scouts were also in house.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived