Brewer Fanatic

Your 2017 Carolina Mudcats

Mass Haas
How much of the Carolina coaching staff includes holdovers from Brevard?

This is by far the most talented affiliate. You've got 5 guys who are either consensus top 100s or borderline top 100s on some lists in Diaz, Ray, Erceg, Diplan and Clark.

The pitching staff is also loaded -- Ponce, Peralta, Diplan, Burnes, Medeiros, we're talking about organizational top 20s on a loaded farm, every single one of them.

There is absolutely no excuse for the Mudcats not to be competing for a league title, much less struggling to play .500 ball. There is some serious internal evaluation needed here and they really need to figure out what is going on at High A.

It's been all of 14 games (6-8) but sure man.

Which is exactly why I asked whether the coaching staff is still the same as the ones that have lost almost 200 games the last 2 years, to discuss whether this is a trend with that organization or not.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mudcats’ Ray proving ‘size doesn’t matter’ in first full professional season

After coming off the first injury of his life, Corey Ray is showing out in Zebulon with a combination of power and speed

By R. Cory Smith, North State Journal (Raleigh, NC)

15325_042717_corey_ray_mg_06f.JPG

The Mudcats' Corey Ray (2) jokes with his teammates in the dugout during the game against the Down East Wood Ducks at the Five County Stadium on Thursday, April 27, 2017. Madeline Gray photo | North State Journal

Off the top of my head this lineup has faced 4/5 top 100 prospect pitchers this yr already, and have really struggled vs them.. tonight

Tristan McKenzie dominated the Mudcats lineup with 6 innings and 14 SO. I believe they already faced McKenzie and the same results happened earlier this yr.. Id like to know their stats vs top prospect pitchers they faced this yr.. my guess is its not pretty.. McKenzie is going to be a top pitcher in the league tho IMO.. did anyone watch this game by chance?.. Were the Mudcats chasing alot?

• 3 weeks later...
Is it time for a new Manager? Who knows how much, if any, the coaching staff is to blame. But too many guys under-achieve every year. Maybe a new manager would be worth a try??

I have questioned this staff in the past as well, especially after how terrible Brevard County was. Pitching has been the strength while the teams combined batting average is .241 (last in the league). All the other stats (ops & slg) are in the middle of the pact. I don't know this staff and watch them enough to know or think if they should be let go, but in the minors its not all about results but more about development. With that said it still doesn't look good to have this many top prospects struggle, especially with how some of the positional prospects performed for this staff last yr.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it time for a new Manager? Who knows how much, if any, the coaching staff is to blame. But too many guys under-achieve every year. Maybe a new manager would be worth a try??

I have questioned this staff in the past as well, especially after how terrible Brevard County was. Pitching has been the strength while the teams combined batting average is .241 (last in the league). All the other stats (ops & slg) are in the middle of the pact. I don't know this staff and watch them enough to know or think if they should be let go, but in the minors its not all about results but more about development. With that said it still doesn't look good to have this many top prospects struggle, especially with how some of the positional prospects performed for this staff last yr.

Do we at least need to look at a new hitting coach? The amount of top prospects in this lineup struggling badly all year is just staggering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tonight (8/8/17) will be the 3rd time this season Carolina sees Indians top pitching prospect Triston McKenzie.

In the previous 2 meetings (each won by McKenzie), Triston has gone 5 innings (giving up 1 run (unearned) on 3 hits, 2 walks and 8 ks) and 6 innings (allowing 1 hit & 1 walk with 14 ks).

It will be interesting to see if Carolina has made any adjustments & if so, if Triston can respond quickly enough & adjust as well.

double header today with Gm 1 starting at 5 pm Eastern time.

Triston maintains his mastery of the Mudcats. Although he only went 5 innings and allowed 5 hits & 2 walks, he also struck out 8 while only allowing 1 earned run. 91 pitches and 54 strikes thrown.

Its 7-1 going into bottom of 7th (final At bats for Mudcats due to 2 games tonight)...

FYI: Cody Ponce got his 1st crack against Lynchburg today. 5 IP allowing 6 runs (5 earned) on 9 hits, 2 walks, 2 homers allowed (which plated 3 runs). He only struck out 2. 84 pitches and 49 strikes thrown.

Edit: 1 item of note - it appears the Mudcats turned a triple play against Lynchburg in game 1. Don't know details on inning or how it happened, but it was listed in the box score. Nice job Mudcats.

In the Carolina League, as of today:

Carolina is last in the league in BA, .235 (next team is .239)

Tied for second last in OPS

Second last in SLG

Highest total SO. next team is 36 less

Least amount of Total bases

Pitching is in the middle of the pack in all stats

Pretty pitiful when this team was considered to be one of the top 10 best Minor league teams in all of the minors according to BA before the season started. That was before Harrison was moved up as well.

3 hits in 12 innings and 18 strike outs(Ray with 3) yesterday.. this has been brought up multiple times (me included).. but who the hell are these coaches.. last years Brevard County team was one of the worse I remember seeing ever.

Archived