Brewer Fanatic

Your 2017 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Timber Rattlers, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/6!

NOTE: Last season, the affiliates released their rosters on Monday AM (as if the Brewers' big league season opener didn't make it a busy enough day!)

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2017" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also likely going to learn about more player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SP Aaron Myers will be a TRat

Loved in interview hearing how much Erickson loves Mario at catcher and that he may spend all year at age 18 at catcher! That'd be extremely impressive!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO via WTMJ's Matt Pauley's Brewers' Extra Innings Podcast Sun. 4/2: "Opening week of Brewers season is here. On this week's episode, Matt looks ahead to the season and reviews the decisions made during the final week of spring training. Tim Muma from "Dairyland Express" will join the conversation. Also, Voice of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Chris Mehring comes on to preview the Brewers' Low-A Midwest League affiliate. (running length 01:06:00)

Muma's interview begins at the 22:45 minute mark, Mehring at 46:35.

Neither Myers or Roegner were projected to make the T-Rats roster on the pinned roster projections. Should be interesting to see who is squeezed out.

Well, there are a number of guys who probably were on the projections who might be hurt. (I might have missed them, but I can't say I've seen Pennington or Fox in the minor league box scores. Likewise, Grist and Owenby have been missing among likely Carolina pitchers, which would open spots for others to be promoted.)

Plus, another spot may come from starting Kirby in extended spring training to better control his innings, which one of the podcasts said they were leaning toward.

Feliciano, Orimoloye, Webb should be exciting to watch. Maybe Lara, but I sense he will be more of a let down.

Lara looked really good for second half of the season and started to click more. That mixes with in Arizona where he was an absolute monster until he hit that awful wall he wasn't able to get through. He has smocked the ball all spring. He is now 6'4 200 lbs which I believe, he is a well build young player. Remember, he will only be 19 all season! The Brewers have to strongly believe in him since they continue to push him.

Feliciano may be the youngest player in MWL and even more impressive he is a catcher!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Feliciano, Orimoloye, Webb should be exciting to watch. Maybe Lara, but I sense he will be more of a let down.

Lara looked really good for second half of the season and started to click more.

Feliciano may be the youngest player in MWL and even more impressive he is a catcher!

Not necessarily hating on Lara just think he is a bit of a slow learner. Hopefully he can put together a promising year, but I don't expect it to show on the stat sheet all that much.

I think the Brewers really believe in his glove to be pushing him all the way up to A-ball already.

According to Chris Mehring's twitter, this is what the rotation will be for the Timber Rattlers:

1. Zack Brown

2. Trey Supak/Jordan Desguin

3. Tom Jankins

4. Cam Roegner/Braden Webb

5. Victor Diaz/Jake Drossner

Three pitchers with last name of Brown.

REALLY hoping to have a game where all three pitch, and they are the only three that pitch.

That has a T-Rats promotion written all over it!

Can we get UPS to sponser?

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Three pitchers with last name of Brown. That won't be too confusing.

Gotta love the headline on the Post-Crescent season preview (several quotes included, by the way).

Brown to start Timber Rattlers’ season opener Thursday

Photo Gallery from Tuesday's Fan Fest and scrimmage, via the Post-Crescent

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Story, linked earlier, now includes VIDEO quotes from RHP Thomas Jankins and LHP Cameron Roegner

Zack Brown excited to start season opener

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post Crescent

GRAND CHUTE - His roster gets blown up and rebuilt each spring, so Matt Erickson never knows in April what type of season lies ahead for his Wisconsin Timber Rattlers teams.

Two years ago, a teen-dominated Timber Rattlers squad won a mere 50 games, finishing a whopping 39 games below .500.

Last season, the Rattlers made an impressive 21-game jump in the win column and returned to the Midwest League playoffs.

Can the Rattlers maintain last year’s momentum with so many new pieces to the 2017 puzzle? That’s a question that will be answered in the coming months, but fresh starts never bother Erickson and he seems comfortable with his club’s talent level for the Midwest League season that starts Thursday night on the road against Quad Cities.

“The unique part about this is that each year, we come back from spring training with a new crop of kids,” said Erickson on Tuesday during Media Day at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. “It’s an important deal. We have to develop within the Brewers organization and it’s an exciting time to be in player development with the Milwaukee Brewers. Hopefully, this is going to be another taste of what we’re going to get down the road in Milwaukee.”

Eleven players who have spent previous time with the Timber Rattlers, including high draft picks Tucker Neuhaus and Monte Harrison, will lead the team, while high-ceiling prospects like infielder Gilbert Lara, catcher Mario Feliciano and outfielder Demi Orimoloye will make their Rattlers debuts.

“I see a lot of talent, a lot of good baseball players,” said Harrison. “The younger guys are going to have to learn the ropes just like we had to, but they’re smart and they’ll get used to it.”

Erickson coached his new team for 14 games during Milwaukee’s recent spring training and the squad won about half of those contests. Erickson, an Appleton native who is starting his seventh year as Timber Rattlers manager, is the longest-tenured manager in the Brewers’ farm system.

“It looked like we have a ballclub that can take care of the baseball,” said Erickson. “We had some solid starting pitching and we did a nice job defensively. Some days we were a little better than others with the bats, but that’s to be expected here at the lower levels. I’m very excited about the possibilities of this ballclub.”

Player development is the No. 1 priority of minor league coaching staffs, but every manager and coach wants to win ballgames, too. Erickson said that team chemistry — something that is hard to develop with ever-changing rosters — will be a key to any success the Rattlers have.

“Each year and each team is different,” Erickson said. “The chemistry that is built within the clubhouse is something that we try and mold, but it’s really up to the players each year. There’s talented kids that enter that clubhouse each year. Some clubhouses are better than others. Those better clubhouses tend to have better success on the field.”

Erickson will have a couple of new faces on his coaching staff. Steve Cline is the new pitching coach, while Hainley Statia takes over as hitting coach. Cline has spent the last 16 years in the Brewers organization as the pitching coach with the rookie league Arizona Brewers.

“Steve has an abundance of experience within the Brewers system and has worked at the lower levels, so he probably knows these pitchers better than anyone because he’s worked with them the last couple years,” said Erickson.

Statia, 31, played as an infielder in the Angels and Brewers systems.

“Hainley is a fresh face,” Erickson said. “I believe last year was Hainley’s first full season as a hitting coach. A lot of passion there, a lot of energy. It will be good to have him on our staff as well.”

Getting the ball: Zack Brown, a 22-year-old right-hander, will be the Rattlers’ opening day starter Thursday at Quad Cities.

“We feel good with him on the mound for the first pitch of the season,” Erickson said. “He had a very good spring training. I saw four of his starts and he was pretty dominant in three of them, and he showed some toughness in the one that he struggled a little bit in.”

Brown, a fifth-round pick by the Brewers in the 2016 draft, is in his second season of pro ball. He made two starts with Helena last year before finishing the season with the Rattlers, where he compiled a 1-2 record with an ERA of 3.00 in nine games and four starts. Brown had 29 strikeouts in 33 innings with the Rattlers.

“Coming from Helena, it’s a little different pitching-wise,” said Brown. “Guys are a little more patient. They’re not going to sit on the fastball as much. You have to hit your spots.

“I’m excited about pitching opening day. It’s the first game of the season and, yeah, there will be jitters. There are jitters in spring training. But I think I’ll be fine.”

Jankins to start home opener: Another right-hander, Thomas Jankins, will start the Rattlers’ 4:05 p.m. home opener Saturday against Quad Cities. Jankins, 21, was a 13th-round pick of the Brewers in 2016 and also spent the second half of his first professional season with Wisconsin, going 0-2 with a 3.20 ERA in eight games and seven starts.

“I’m very comfortable here since I was here last year,” said Jankins. “I don’t know if that’s a big advantage, but it’s not going to hurt knowing how the field plays and how the environment is. It’s a great honor (to start the home opener) and hopefully we can give the fans a good show. I’m sure there will be a little bit of adrenaline pumping through me Saturday. I think it will be more excitement than nerves.”

Big crowd anticipated: Erickson said roughly 3,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday’s home opener and with warm weather expected for the weekend, he anticipates a big opening weekend crowd.

“Up here as the weather breaks, the baseball season is a sign of spring coming and warmer days ahead,” Erickson said. “It will be a fun opening day for sure.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A great listen for all the minor league diehards out there --

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Podcast, Episode Nine, Wed. 4/5

"Kyle Lobner and Chris Mehring talk about Media Day for the Timber Rattlers in the last Preseason Podcast."

Also ---

Rattlers Experience, Familiarity on Display at Media Day

Kyle Lobner, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Article includes a video interview --

Harrison looking for breakout season with Timber Rattlers

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE - He played perhaps the roughest, toughest game of them all in high school and Monte Harrison seldom had football-related injuries.

Surprisingly, the non-contact sport of baseball has been a different and frustrating experience for the talented 21-year-old outfielder.

Harrison and his Wisconsin Timber Rattlers open the 2017 Midwest League season Thursday night on the road against the Quad Cities River Bandits, and the Kansas City native is looking for a breakout year following two consecutive injury-plagued seasons.

A second-round selection by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2014 draft, Harrison split the 2015 season with the low Class A Timber Rattlers and Helena before his summer ended in the Pioneer League when he broke his left ankle during a late-July game. Harrison opened 2016 with Wisconsin and played 75 games with the Rattlers before missing a majority of the season’s second half with a hamate fracture in his left hand.

“I wasn’t a guy that was known for injuries in high school,” said Harrison on Tuesday during Media Day at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. “But, you know, you can’t really do anything to take care of bones besides drink milk. My mom harps on it so I’m going to start drinking a little more of that.”

The Brewers don’t care if Harrison sports a milk mustache this season. They’re just hoping the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Harrison stays healthy and makes a jump in terms of development. Following a solid season of rookie league ball with the Arizona Brewers in 2014, Harrison hit just .148 in 46 games with Wisconsin in 2015, but batted an impressive .299 with 14 stolen bases in 28 games at Helena before breaking the ankle. He struggled again hitting for average with the Timber Rattlers in 2016, batting just .221 in 267 at-bats, but showed some pop (six home runs, 32 RBI) and speed on the basepaths (eight steals).

Is this the season that Harrison puts it all together and turns potential into production? Harrison has youth, experience and an intriguing skill set on his side. Despite his minor league struggles, he is still only 21 and has 204 professional games under his belt. He also has a big, explosive body and the Brewers like the combination of speed and power that he offers.

Harrison had a solid spring training and feels like he’s starting to figure out the game. Harrison was a highly recruited wide receiver at Lee’s Summit West High School in Missouri and committed to Nebraska to play football and baseball before agreeing to a $1.8 million signing bonus with the Brewers in 2014, $700,000 more than the recommended slot value.

“I’ve learned to slow myself down a bit and just play the game,” said Harrison. “I had always been a guy that was kind of rowdy, playing football and stuff. But baseball is a different type of atmosphere and just playing it has definitely calmed me down.”

It’s made for a more mature, less anxious Harrison, who is improving as a student of the game.

“Before I got drafted, I didn’t really know much about baseball,” Harrison said. “I thought I did, but in reality I really didn’t. I’ve learned about the game every day by really listening to coaches and players and big leaguers. That’s definitely done a lot for me.”

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson noticed a different Harrison in spring training, one with more focus and urgency.

“His spring training was a little more business-like,” said Erickson. “You could see some of the maturity and growth, not only as a player, but as a professional. His preparation in spring training was really good. He was as consistent as I’ve seen him. Hopefully, he carries that into the season.”

Harrison is still a top-30 Brewers prospect. He’s rated by Baseball America as the 20th best prospect in the Milwaukee organization and 22nd by MLB Pipeline.

“It’s good to have him back and hopefully he can stay healthy,” said Erickson. “He’s a tremendous athlete.”

As one of the most experienced players on the team, Harrison plans to take on more of a leadership role this season. He is the sixth oldest of the position players and Harrison just laughs when reminded of his veteran status.

“It’s weird because Pax (trainer Jeff Paxson) and I were talking and he asked me, ‘Did you ever think you’d have to grow up this quick?’ I was like, ‘No, I always thought I’d be the youngest on the team.’ But everything happens for a reason and the Brewers have great plans for me. But anyone who calls me grandpa, we’re definitely going to have a problem.”

Archived