Brewer Fanatic

Depth

MVP2110
So honest question, we all know we have a bunch of outfield depth & pitchers on the 40 man, but last night I was playing the show and in the very first game Thames got hurt and had to go on the DL. It made me realize we don't have much if any depth. The only available infielder to call up was Yadiel. Seems like we could be better using our 40 man spots no? Do we need the Blazek's, Reed's, etc on the 40 man?

Thames wouldn't be a big deal. Aguilar would get most of the starts and they could also go Shaw at 1st and Perez at 3rd.

Perez could fill in anywhere in the infield.

There's not a ton of depth in the infield on the 40, agreed, but they're pretty well covered right now in the short-term for an injury anywhere even with Scooter gone. Short-term if a guy went on the 10 day Rivera would probably be up. Something longer term that necessitated a 60 day stay they might use that extra 40 spot for Dubon.

1B? You have Thames and Aguilar already, which many would argue is one too many 1B on the 25. Shaw can play 1B, so could Perez. No idea if any of the catchers could play 1B in a pinch. Then there's Santana and Braun, one of which I hope learns the position. After that you have Cooper, maybe Coulter or Nottingham. In other words, almost anybody.

The point wasn't 1b exclusively. Its in general how little Infield depth we have. I apologize if that didn't come across clearly.

I really don't see an issue though. Perez can cover 2nd 3rd or short as the everyday guy, and as mentioned 1st is already well covered. Frankly if it were a short 10 day DL stay I think we could fill it with basically no loss in production. If it were a longer term injury Dubon would possibly be up on the 40 if not the 25.

Who would you want to see on the 40 for depth that isn't already on it? I agree that Reed is probably the 40th man right now as far as position players go and the most expendable, but I don't see an issue right now.

Perez can cover 2nd 3rd or short as the everyday guy, and as mentioned 1st is already well covered. Frankly if it were a short 10 day DL stay I think we could fill it with basically no loss in production. If it were a longer term injury Dubon would possibly be up on the 40 if not the 25.

Agreed that the starting lineup would be ok if anyone goes down with Perez and Aguilar stepping in. The problem is that the bench goes from weak to bad.

Perez can cover 2nd 3rd or short as the everyday guy, and as mentioned 1st is already well covered. Frankly if it were a short 10 day DL stay I think we could fill it with basically no loss in production. If it were a longer term injury Dubon would possibly be up on the 40 if not the 25.

Agreed that the starting lineup would be ok if anyone goes down with Perez and Aguilar stepping in. The problem is that the bench goes from weak to bad.

I guess I'm just not really concerned about it. Most of that depth is in the minors. Hopefully DeJesus will clear and wind up in Colorado Springs, if so you have plenty of good IF depth in the minors in him and Dubon. The 40 man is fluid. I don't see a lot of guys in the infield that are going to be replaced much whether it be late in games or frequently needing days off. If we have injuries, the roster will change.

The point wasn't 1b exclusively. Its in general how little Infield depth we have. I apologize if that didn't come across clearly.

I feel like we have too many bats for too few positions. Perez and Aguilar should be playing full time. Brinson probably should get a May call up but I hope he doesn't since there is nowhere to play. Nieuwenhius is an ok 4th OF and after that we have a number of guys in AAA that could probably do ok in the majors. Considering we are in the middle of a rebuild I'm shocked just how deep this major league positional roster is with real talent.

Yah, the depth is fine. DeJesus, if he is back, is a fringe big league player, Rivera can function as a short-term fill in at least thanks to his defense, and the team seemed to be giving Nate Orf a lot of playing time this spring. None of these guys are likely starters, but for AAA depth they aren't bad. And there is no real need for more than one extra on the 40-man just to have one. I'd rather put off a roster move than make an unnecessary one and lose somebody.

My depth concerns start and end with Nieuwenhuis. I just think they could do better for a 4th OF/lone LH bat off bench. (Angel Pagan?). Sure he will have his moments, but when you need a good AB off the bench late, chances are he won't make contact. 13 pitchers is a luxury. They can't afford any weak links off the bench.

then please consider editing the topic title of your post. "lack of infield depth" perhaps?

I think the depth on this team and throughout the organization could be at its all time high. Everywhere you look there is someone lurking in the background waiting for a guy on the 25 to suck just enough to get their opportunity.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The open 40-man spot eases the initial poster's problem. If we need another position player called up, we can add someone to the 40-man without the risk of losing someone else.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It is a good reminder that we are still a couple years away. While there are top prospects knocking on the door for pitching and outfield, most of the infield prospects are in the lower levels. If there is an infield injury, we are looking at AAAA replacements at this point.

I think we have more depth than many years. Depth that is maybe a half year too young if they are needed to be called up, but it is there if needed. Now if H Perez got hurt then you would be walking on eggshells about the next injury and maybe having problems.

It is a good reminder that we are still a couple years away. While there are top prospects knocking on the door for pitching and outfield, most of the infield prospects are in the lower levels. If there is an infield injury, we are looking at AAAA replacements at this point.

Well Dubon is right there. Diaz and Erceg have higher upsides but yes they're still a couple years away.

How many teams have top prospects ready at the go at all available positions? Not many or any. Most teams are looking at AAAA replacements if they have injuries. No one is sitting 40 deep on their 40 man roster with MLB ready starting caliber players.

It all depends on what type if depth we are talking about. The farm is deep but that doesn't necessarily translate to depth on the major league roster. What we have is a lot of talented young players who need to play every day. That can help if we have an injury or someone struggles but it does not help to improve the bench. None of the prospects should be coming up to be part time players for an extended period of time. It also doesn't mean anyone in the minors are ready to come in and produce better than the current starters from day one.

The guys who are almost ready or, in the case of Arcia, are already here will be talented young players learning how to play at the major league level not top producers right away.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Players like Dubon, Diaz, Cordell & Phillips are legit prospects, I don't see them as AAAA types at all. They need more MiLB reps though. Don't want to rush them. Erceg even more so. Brinson might be ready sooner.

Point being that yes we lack high caliber depth at the MLB level but in a rebuilding year that isn't a huge concern

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I was reading the top 5 Stat Cast Stories on brewers.com This really caught my eyes. Not sure where this post would fit but here seemed like a good place.

5. Lots of glove

Statcast™'s Catch Probability shows how impressive Broxton was in center field last season, as well as the fact that Braun and Domingo Santana had a tougher time in the corners. Broxton made three 5-Star plays (catch probability 25 percent or lower) in nine chances, a 33.3 percent conversion rate that was third best among outfielders. He also made four of six 4-Star catches, the 10th-best rate. Braun and Santana, on the other hand, often didn't convert more routine plays, especially Santana. On 1-star plays (catch probability 91-95 percent), he made a catch only 75 percent of the time, tied for third worst in MLB.

To me this right here is why he will be odd man out in the future. With the depth we have in the OF that includes mostly all plus Defenders (Brinson, Phillips, then lower Clark, Ray, Harrison) I just don't see any room in the future for terrible defenders if we are going to build a team to contend. Santana can rip the ball but I'd take Brinson over him in RF for next year. Broxton was outstanding in CF so it will be toss up between which one moves to RF. Braun isn't very good either but he is the leader and captian of this young team.

Overall, I hope Santana hits like a beast which he is capable of so we can flip him when Brinson, Phillips, or Cordell are ready.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Yeah Santana is really bad in the outfield and he was completely healthy so what he did last year is a good representation of what we should expect out of him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing about depth is that you don't necessarily have to have it in your system. You can trade for it - or buy it. It's why having financial flexibility is important. Milwaukee has lacked depth over the years often times because they couldn't afford it when they needed it. We've talked about this before - but having players like Yuni, Izturis, Gonzalez, Overbay, etc. is a killer. They are washed up veterans had on the cheap. We've had too many sub-replacement level players get game time over the years.

I'm not saying we have to splurge for an Andrew Miller type player, but being willing to take on some salary during the year, or trade a 2nd tier prospect to fill a glaring hole - those are the kinds of things that will help us tremendously. And that's what a low payroll and deep system give you.

Yes, you try and have players ready in the minors (or have the major league backups be able to step in regularly), but that's not always possible. But having the versatility and flexibility to fill positions in different ways will be a big asset going forward.

Yeah Santana is really bad in the outfield and he was completely healthy so what he did last year is a good representation of what we should expect out of him.

Playing what was it 71 games is completely healthy? Ok it was 77games after checking. I said this before when complaining to his defense. Was he supposed to lay it out on the line for someone who was missing games by the 25th game of the season? After the first 22games his longest stretch was the final 16 games of a losing season. To put it this way. Let's move on from a 4WAR+ OF. Over his defense after an injury filled year. I mean if Khris Davis can be 2.8WAR after a .247/307 40HR year with a noodle arm. We are just going to say no to what's likely a .265/.355 40HR guy with a laser arm. So we can insert a guy like Brinson? about .270/.310 with 25HRs at best in him? Who's arm won't be as strong as Santana's.

MLB.com's scouting report has this blurp on Brinson:

Brinson's speed represents yet another plus tool and translates on the basepaths as well as in center field, where it helps him to compensate for what at times can be shaky jumps and reads.

So what's to say Brinson doesn't do what Santana had trouble with during an injury plagued year?

This isn't just a response to you Logan, but for all the Santana diss-ers? Yeah Stearns has built a team and minors filled with defensive bodies, but taking Villar/Broxton/Santana in trades are 3 who happen to be higher On Base types. You know at .355 to maybe even .370 is going to have Stearns quite happy with that. Pick your poison but I prefer offensive superiority over a better defensive player with an average bat. The chances on the fielding to affect meaningful/close games are far less than the chances to impact a game at the plate. You know when your defense outweighs your offense, you become a 1b or DH. Haven't had any of that now have we?

Archived