Brewer Fanatic

Reds claim Scooter Gennett on waivers

JDBrewCrew
Disappointing that they couldn't get anything for him, but this is a tough time of year to make trades. The Brewers just couldn't afford to two bench players that each could only realistically play one position, and Aguilar just hit his way on to the team.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is either a sign that the Brewers are so deep that they can let someone of his caliber go or they misjudged his value. From everything I have seen so far I'd pick the former. It seem odd Cincy picked him up considering the state they are in. I guess it makes some amount of sense. They needed some help at second and their farm isn't as deep as ours so he probably isn't blocking someone who needs to be on the 40 man. if he hits more to his ceiling than floor they can flip him in the next year or so. If he really blows he still has an option left to boot.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If you are a rebuilding club in need of someone to help at 2B Scooter isn't a bad option. He seems like a great guy for the fans, clubhouse, and has experience. That being said I enjoy his time here and wish him the best of luck in the future. His spot on this team was just no longer available.

This one could come back to haunt them. Red's weren't the only team that would have claimed him. They had first shot. Stearns drove his value down by announcing Villar move. Villar was bad defensively at both SS and 3B so I get it but I'm not sure Villar will hit anywhere close to his 2016 numbers.

Guess Scooter truly did have zero value.

With his $3 million salary. Yes.

If his value was zero he would have gone unclaimed. Cincy is on the hook for his contract now so he was worth $3M to them.

True. The correct phraseology would be "with his $3 million salary he had zero trade value"

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This one could come back to haunt them. Red's weren't the only team that would have claimed him. They had first shot. Stearns drove his value down by announcing Villar move. Villar was bad defensively at both SS and 3B so I get it but I'm not sure Villar will hit anywhere close to his 2016 numbers.

Maybe he won't hit his numbers of last year but he will be better than Gennett. Not only at 2B but his versatility allows this team to do much more with Gennett off of it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So we lost Diaz because we needed to hang on to Rob Scahill and Scooter Gennett for an extra couple months? Cool!

No, Diaz would be a long term commitment on the 40 man that would be in the minor leagues, there are always rotating guys on the 40 man that are needed to fill the major league 25 man roster. Still a fine decision by Stearns to leave him off because you can only protect 15 minor leaguers max at one time and it wasn't worth putting a low A ball player on the 40 man for three years and hope he stick in the bigs the 4th year.

Scooter was pretty good last year. He hit lefties ok, he played better defense, his overall offensive numbers weren't bad.

The Brewers don't do anything randomly or carelessly anymore (as Outlander's excellent point above re: Diaz bears out). This says to me that they didn't buy him as a multiposition guy, didn't see the improvement vs. lefties as legit, and didn't think he would continue to field as he ages. In addition, of course, we now have a ton of talent.

I'm sorry we couldn't get something for him, but I'm glad this worked out. He gets a clean shot with another team rather than rotting at Colorado Springs. We lose a player who doesn't fit the new, better kind of team and organization we're becoming.

The idea that we'll regret cashing in Scooter at 2b for Villar . . . well, crazier things have happened. But looking at the two players, and even assuming Villar regresses considerably:

Scooter strikes out less.

Villar has more power, more speed, more defensive talent, more defensive versatility, walks more, is a year younger, and will be cheaper for a while.

Also, Villar is trending up while Scooter has never matched his partial rookie season. His OBP and SLG have been under his career numbers for two straight years -- at ages 25 and 26. At this moment, preferring Scooter to Villar would be a firing offense.

Scooter never did anything wrong. I hope he succeeds in Cincinnati.

Scooter isn't very good, especially with his defensive shortcomings. I was honestly surprised he wasn't non-tendered.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't harbor ill will toward Scooter or anything, but i'm glad he's gone. I think his value is overstated by some and he's never going to be the difference maker a Kipnis/Cano/Altuve/Turner is. Villar's ceiling is much more likely to.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pretty sure the rest of the league knew that was coming anyway. There was no chance Arcia was playing in AAA again and Villar needed to play somewhere. Once they signed Shaw it was a done deal that Villar was moving to 2nd.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Mixed feelings. I understand why they cut him, yet I just have this feeling he's one of those players that is going to become an even better hitter. We see that with some players, put up respectable numbers early in their MLB career, then put together a few big seasons in their late 20s, early 30s.

It also tells us that trying him at 3B and OF didn't go very well, as most of us said that was really never a viable option. I just hate to see good players go for nothing, I guess that's what it comes down to.

The salary saved on him is about the slot value of a mid 1st round pick, so even though we didn't get anything for him, still a benefit.

Which obviously could have been avoided by non-tendering him, but I'm sure back in the fall they probably just wanted to keep their options open.

Villar is likely just a placeholder until Isan Diaz comes up and rakes, anyways. Diaz looks like the real deal.

Too early to make that assumption.

I like Diaz as a prospect but he still has a ways to go. Even if Diaz does continue to perform, its possible that Arcia gets the boot IF he doesn't start to hit AND Villar continues to perform.

Villar is likely just a placeholder until Isan Diaz comes up and rakes, anyways. Diaz looks like the real deal.

Too early to make that assumption.

I like Diaz as a prospect but he still has a ways to go. Even if Diaz does continue to perform, its possible that Arcia gets the boot IF he doesn't start to hit AND Villar continues to perform.

Possibly. Arcia's glove is so good that he'll get a long leash unless Dubon pushes the issue (which he might) or the rebuild ends early

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived