Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

If the starters would get to the 7th inning then this bullpen wouldn't be so overworked. Granted the bullpen isn't the best in the league but they are not terrible either.

Knebel for one is outstanding right now.

We have an 8 man bullpen and a 3 man bench (with Pina out). I'm sure the Brewers wanted to make sure Guerra was ok before they sent an arm down, but I would think a move to get another hitter up is coming soon.

Which reliever do you think will be leaving.

Is Feliz experiment finally done? I think Hughes has an option left and he gives up too many baserunners

Torres, Scahill, and Barnes have pitched well of late. Drake gives up a ton of baserunners (1.7 WHIP!), but I think they want to get a longer look at him. His K numbers are impressive.

I think Drake might be the guy leaving shortly. His stat line is pretty terrible.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Scahill has the lowest walk rate of any reliever at 3.5/9. Torres and Peralta are the only other ones below 4.0. That's not good.

Drake was having a decent season until tonight. I think it's a toss-up between him and Hughes. There's a reason the Pirates let Hughes go.

Honestly, I'd get rid of both of them and bring up Cravy and one of Wang/Suter. They need at least one lefty. Hell, maybe both of Suter and Wang.

Scahill has the lowest walk rate of any reliever at 3.5/9. Torres and Peralta are the only other ones below 4.0. That's not good.

Yea, walks are what are killing the bullpen and it's crazy how often these guys come in and walk the leadoff hitter, even when up multiple runs.

So we're in desperate need of a lefty in the pen, we've got a guy begging to be DFA'd in Drake, why not call up Wang?

Would say we are desperate for one. It would be nice to have that option as long as it's a loogy of sorts but the bullpen has been alright against lefties so far. (6th in ERA, 4th in HRs allowed, but 21st in avg. against)

When this team is contending in August it'll be wise if them to add Hader to the pen for their playoff push!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wang coming up would be a nice story. It's been three years since his rule 5 season and he's still only 25. He's got a 2.53 era at CS although he has as many hits as innings.

Either way, I would say he's close.

Woodruff has to be close too...

Regardless of who comes up, Drake needs to go IMO. I'd prefer a lefty too. Wang would be cool. Hader could be a pen option too if the Brewers want to limit his innings at some point this season.

Wang coming up would be a nice story. It's been three years since his rule 5 season and he's still only 25. He's got a 2.53 era at CS although he has as many hits as innings.

Either way, I would say he's close.

Woodruff has to be close too...

Totally. I'm more excited to see him than anyone else. He just sounds really solid.

This time next year, I hope to be saying the same about Burnes.

The overall numbers have been fine but stuff like today is highly frustrating.

Scahill enters with two on, two out in a one run game. Plunks the eight hitter, then nibbles and winds up walking the pitcher to force in a run. Sure, the pitches were close, but just throw a strike. 9 out of 10 times he makes an out. No reason to be that fine with a pitcher up and nowhere to put him.

Fire the bullpen coach! Half blue.

I don't think Tunnell is the problem, he seems to be able to churn out pretty good closers out of whatever he is given (besides Feliz), look at what Jeffress did here and how terrible he is now. I'd say for the most part he gets what he can out of what he's given. We're 15th out of 30 in pen ERA which after losing our best relievers from last year I would say is fine. We do need to quit walking so many, certainly.

Heck maybe we can get Jeffress back for next to nothing. But that'd probably be an embarrassing bullet to bite for Texas.

While Wang’s ERA is sparkling so far, his secondary numbers (K%/BB%) aren’t nearly as good as last season when he was left off the 40 man and not given a NRI to spring training. Though he will not help in the BB department, I’d personally bet on Barbosa getting a MLB shot first if they look internally for a pen lefty.

Sort of OT, but Teams are carrying such huge bullpens, I think DH will almost certainly happen in the NL.

One catcher and 3 bench players in the NL is insane now that so few starting pitchers can go past 6 innings consistently.

In the case of the Brewers, we can't get much past 5 innings, so haviing a big bullpen is mandatory.

Archived