Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I expect Zach Davies had a sympathetic ear in regards to Cravy. It's not the first time that I think Stearns sometimes forgets he's managing people.

I agree. Theo can get away with keeping Bryant down to save money, Stearns hasn't earned that same level of respect.

The bottom line was the players thought this was an open competition when it clearly wasn't.

Brewers kept Braun down until May

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Them might be the breaks, but if your boss told you that you'd be earning 1/6th your expected salary, you might react in a way that some people would find unprofessional.

And unlike most of us, who can shop our talents elsewhere, he's locked in. He can't just go work for someone else. If it's working for a liar, and being shipped to the one park in minor league baseball that is the most difficult for pitchers, I can see why someone would get angry.

I've not known Cravy to be a hot head before. So this is eye opening, if nothing else. It could be out of bounds frustration, but it could be something real.

Oh he has a right to be ticked. But I disagree that this somehow tarnishes Stearns in some way. At the end of the day they shouldn't have told them that they were pitching for a job in spring training. Should have told them "Pitch well and we will see what happens but no promises."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I expect Zach Davies had a sympathetic ear in regards to Cravy. It's not the first time that I think Stearns sometimes forgets he's managing people.

I agree. Theo can get away with keeping Bryant down to save money, Stearns hasn't earned that same level of respect.

The bottom line was the players thought this was an open competition when it clearly wasn't.

Brewers kept Braun down until May

Not Stearns.

We're talking about a 6th or 7th inning reliever at best. He's a nobody in the grand scheme of baseball things. I don't blame the guy for being upset but realize who you are. And also realize you will be in the bigs at some point this year. It's not like they released you and gave you a lifetime banishment from baseball.

Them might be the breaks, but if your boss told you that you'd be earning 1/6th your expected salary, you might react in a way that some people would find unprofessional.

And unlike most of us, who can shop our talents elsewhere, he's locked in. He can't just go work for someone else. If it's working for a liar, and being shipped to the one park in minor league baseball that is the most difficult for pitchers, I can see why someone would get angry.

I've not known Cravy to be a hot head before. So this is eye opening, if nothing else. It could be out of bounds frustration, but it could be something real.

Oh he has a right to be ticked. But I disagree that this somehow tarnishes Stearns in some way. At the end of the day they shouldn't have told them that they were pitching for a job in spring training. Should have told them "Pitch well and we will see what happens but no promises."

I don't think it puts a stain on Stearns. But he's not perfect. He's still new in the job and he's going to make mistakes. Is this one of them? Maybe. I'm far out on the speculation branch, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...mostly. If something like this comes up again, though, then we may have a problem.

RHP Junior Guerra has been placed on the 10-day disabled list with a strained right calf. LHP Brent Suter recalled from Triple-A @skysox.

That is what I expected despite a lot thinking it might be Cravy. Milone is taking the rotation spot(we assume) and that leaves no lefty in the pen....insert Suter.

I want Millone to get lit up badly in the next ten days and Suter to be lights out so we hopefully see the end of Millone as a Brewer. I hated every minute of his innings yesterday.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Suter looked good tonight. Hopefully he will earn a permanent spot in the bullpen moving forwards

Well Suter certainly was effective but my goodness he throws nothing but junk.

Listening to BA and Rock when he pitches is fun. They giggle with shock every time he gets an out. Like when a position player comes in and gets a strike out.

We're talking about a 6th or 7th inning reliever at best. He's a nobody in the grand scheme of baseball things. I don't blame the guy for being upset but realize who you are. And also realize you will be in the bigs at some point this year. It's not like they released you and gave you a lifetime banishment from baseball.

That's not the point really. Judging from Cravy's comments, he was told specifically it was a competition and turns out it wasn't or both he and Scahill would have been on the opening day roster. That speaks to trust and when any employees can't trust their bosses, trouble ensues.

That's not the point really. Judging from Cravy's comments, he was told specifically it was a competition and turns out it wasn't or both he and Scahill would have been on the opening day roster. That speaks to trust and when any employees can't trust their bosses, trouble ensues.

It turns out it was a competition and that Jungmann won. And a more proven option (Jared Hughes with a career sub 3 ERA) became available. Nothing dishonest at all. Had they told Stephen Kohlscheen he was in a competition, that would have been dishonest, but he made it to the final cut. He was competing for a spot.

I am amazed so many people are offended by a marginal bullpen arm in a crappy bullpen not making an Opening Day roster, and even more so that people seem so upset about what he was supposedly told. This is professional sports, this is not new, it happened on every ball club in MLB this spring but this guy is the only one (that I know of) that publicly spouted off about it.

Did someone go specifically to Tyler Cravy and say "Hey, you, Milone, and Jungman are directly competing for 2 bullpen spots and the decision will be based specifically on your spring numbers." I highly doubt it, though no one here knows. Far more likely is that the team told everyone that there are open spots and everyone is in competition, so go out there and produce. And this was true, see Jesus Aguilar. But to think that the small sample of Spring Training is the only thing that matters, especially on a rebuilding club, is simply naive.

I get being upset and emotional if you're Cravy, I really do, I'm sure he has worked his tail off and really thought he deserved a spot. But go home and complain to your family, friends, or or one of the many other marginal MLB players that had good springs and got sent down anyway in the past couple weeks, you're not the only one. Professional sports is a brutal business, but suck it up and act like a professional. Those 9 to 5ers living the easy life have to do the same.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I am amazed so many people are offended by a marginal bullpen arm in a crappy bullpen not making an Opening Day roster, and even more so that people seem so upset about what he was supposedly told. This is professional sports, this is not new, it happened on every ball club in MLB this spring but this guy is the only one (that I know of) that publicly spouted off about it.

Did someone go specifically to Tyler Cravy and say "Hey, you, Milone, and Jungman are directly competing for 2 bullpen spots and the decision will be based specifically on your spring numbers." I highly doubt it, though no one here knows. Far more likely is that the team told everyone that there are open spots and everyone is in competition, so go out there and produce. And this was true, see Jesus Aguilar. But to think that the small sample of Spring Training is the only thing that matters, especially on a rebuilding club, is simply naive.

I get being upset and emotional if you're Cravy, I really do, I'm sure he has worked his tail off and really thought he deserved a spot. But go home and complain to your family, friends, or or one of the many other marginal MLB players that had good springs and got sent down anyway in the past couple weeks, you're not the only one. Professional sports is a brutal business, but suck it up and act like a professional. Those 9 to 5ers living the easy life have to do the same.

Agreed. Of all topics, I have about as much interest in Tyler's Cravy's opinion on anything as I do about what hat people wear. Which is to say none. None interest. As I said in some other thread about this, it doesn't upset me, it just makes Cravy look like a fool. I will welcome him back with open arms when he comes back if he get outs.

This whole notion that somehow the Brewers promised that the pitchers with the lowest ERAs in ST will make the team is, well, silly.

Baseball players in general seem to be the thinnest skinned people around.

I do think he pitched well enough to be the last guy in the bullpen but at the end of the day, being the last guy in the bullpen on what is one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball isn't really all that interesting.

So far the bullpen is looking pretty terrific (except for Marinez).

Barnes and Knebel seem particularly impressive, and holy cow is the Feliz signing looking like a great choice so far despite the one hiccup so far.

Looking forward to seeing what we can get for Feliz at the trade deadline. Lots of teams are going to want a closer who can touch 100 if he continues his success.

Archived