Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
Sure they could have added more rentals to most likely still miss the playoffs or at best lose in round 1. It would have taken losing people off the 40 man. It wouldn't be a smart move but Stearns could have done it, if only he had more experience he could have thrown away those resources for nothing.

Condescending like you know the future of any of these players or how the season would've played out. While I list three pitchers that were picked up for cheap this season that possibly could have helped our season. One of which I was told by another poster that he was done, finished. So I guess the future doesn't always come true.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure they could have added more rentals to most likely still miss the playoffs or at best lose in round 1. It would have taken losing people off the 40 man. It wouldn't be a smart move but Stearns could have done it, if only he had more experience he could have thrown away those resources for nothing.

Condescending like you know the future of any of these players or how the season would've played out. While I list three pitchers that were picked up for cheap this season that possibly could have helped our season. One of which I was told by another poster that he was done, finished. So I guess the future doesn't always come true.

No one thought the Brewers would contend this year. If you did, you're lying. If the team would have gone out and grabbed a bunch of rental relievers, people would have been up in arms about it being a waste of money.

But I guess hindsight is 20/20

1. Pat Neshek

2. San Dyson

3. Sergio Romo

And there may be more....

Could've helped this season. Bullpen was a whiff this year for the most part from Stearns. Hope he learns in his young age.

Two of those three were so god awful they got released, yet we were supposed to go out and get them and just assume that they were going to turn into decent relievers again?

No one thought the Brewers would contend this year. If you did, you're lying. If the team would have gone out and grabbed a bunch of rental relievers, people would have been up in arms about it being a waste of money.

But I guess hindsight is 20/20

First, even without the possibility to contend finding good relievers no matter what gives you a chance or it gives you nice trading pieces, so that should be something Stearns is always trying to do.

And the guys I listed: Neshek, Dyson, Romo were traded for some cash and a PTBNL. All three maybe wouldn't have been a fit but to not get one of those guys AFTER we seen that we were in the mix is just not a great sign front Stearns. That's why I said I hope he learns from his mistakes. Could have really helped this team.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

1. Pat Neshek

2. San Dyson

3. Sergio Romo

Could've helped this season. Bullpen was a whiff this year for the most part from Stearns. Hope he learns in his young age.

Two of those three were so god awful they got released, yet we were supposed to go out and get them and just assume that they were going to turn into decent relievers again?

Your right, just trot out Drake/Torres and hope for the best. Those guys are proven. Why would it have been a big deal to try giving them a fresh start? Sure seems to be working where they are now.

1. Pat Neshek

2. San Dyson

3. Sergio Romo

Your right, just trot out Drake/Torres and hope for the best. Those guys are proven. Why would it have been a big deal to try giving them a fresh start? Sure seems to be working where they are now.

Which is exactly what we did with Jeffress. But don't let facts get in the way of your complaining. Sorry but this is just going over the top at this point. Trying to say Stearns is a bad GM because he didn't take more fliers on marginal RP is just silly. Neshek got back a real prospect btw. Stearns adding more marginal RP is a mistake for this team right now, it isn't inexperience, it is doing his job well. The goal is building a long term winner, not to make bad moves to incrementally increase our chances from like 5% to 8% of making the playoffs this year.

Which is exactly what we did with Jeffress. But don't let facts get in the way of your complaining. Sorry but this is just going over the top at this point. Trying to say Stearns is a bad GM because he didn't take more fliers on marginal RP is just silly. Neshek got back a real prospect btw. Stearns adding more marginal RP is a mistake for this team right now, it isn't inexperience, it is doing his job well. The goal is building a long term winner, not to make bad moves to incrementally increase our chances from like 5% to 8% of making the playoffs this year.

This. You are the one going over the top. I never have suggested that he is a bad GM. We should be able to discuss his mistakes and shortcomings as well as his successes. Unfortunately anytime they are brought up, someone like yourself has to come running to his defense.

He could have added Jeffress, Swarzark (which I was in favor of as well) AND any one of the three above and it would have helped this season while not giving up the farm system to do so. That is something he whiffed on IMO as well as some others I'm sure. Maybe you don't want to see our playoff odds increase this season but others do. It's not out of this world that this team could get hot again offensively and sneak into the playoffs. Will it happen? Meh, probably not.

If you can't discuss a topic without being condescending to the people who have a difference of an opinion, why even respond? Do you feel better or smarter that you think you are right? Just simply discuss and leave the rest of the crap to the wayside. Got old awhile ago.

1. Pat Neshek

2. San Dyson

3. Sergio Romo

You are kind of contradicting yourself. You are saying the team should have taken on Romo and/or Dyson, who were pitching worse than pretty much anyone in the Brewer bullpen. The team was looking for bullpen upgrades. I highly doubt those guys were thought of as that. Yes, they are both pitching better now, but it still would have been quite the risk to pick them up with the hope that a change of scenery would do the trick. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

You are kind of contradicting yourself. You are saying the team should have taken on Romo and/or Dyson, who were pitching worse than pretty much anyone in the Brewer bullpen. The team was looking for bullpen upgrades. I highly doubt those guys were thought of as that. Yes, they are both pitching better now, but it still would have been quite the risk to pick them up with the hope that a change of scenery would do the trick. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

For me it is more about what they have accomplished prior their poor season. I would rather take a shot on those three guys returning close to their form than continuing on a with a guy like Drake or Torres. For me it is not really about the hindsight about this. Yes, it is easier to say now because they are having success but it still boils down to the fact that there were guys out there for us to nab that could have helped.

examining the bullpen now, after sending down wei-chung wang, with number of minor league options remaining. the club has lost a great degree of flexibility in having players that can be optioned.

wei-chung wang (2, will burn his second option if he spends more than 20 days optioned)

tyler webb (3, will burn his 2017 option in a matter of days unless recalled)

webb has burned his first option.

wang was optioned 3 august, so his 20 days limit is approaching.

wang has burned his second option.

i think the brewers planned all along to add him later in the season . . . if i recall correctly, he had his contract purchased because josh hader (and maybe some other relievers) had just been overused and the club felt they needed a left handed arm.

it's a win for the player to burn an option, but a loss for the club. had they waited just a few more weeks to add wang, it's very likely that his second option could've been preserved.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived