Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tyler is doing everything he can to prove the Brewers made the right call. He's been nothing special in AAA, and has proven that his attitude leaves much to be desired. Not going to get much sympathy going about things the way he has this year either. Not to mention he's not exactly helping his stature with other teams

Jared Cravy really helping out his brother (I assume that's Tyler's brother) after his suspension:

"Nothing is over if you never quit. A down year orchestrated by a disrespectful employer will never overshadow this being Ty's greatest year."

:laughing That's rich. So basically, its the Brewers' fault that Cravy is having a lousy season.

examining the bullpen now, after sending down wei-chung wang, with number of minor league options remaining. the club has lost a great degree of flexibility in having players that can be optioned.

jacob barnes (2)

oliver drake (0)

josh hader (2, already burned his 2017 option)

jared hughes (0)

jeremy jeffress (0)

corey knebel (1)

anthony swarzak (0)

carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

michael blazek (1, will burn his final option in a matter of days unless recalled to replace an injured player)

paolo espino (2, already burned his 2017 option)

taylor jungmann (1, already burned his 2017 option; has been stretched out as a starter)

jorge lopez (1, already burned his 2017 option)

wei-chung wang (2, will burn his second option if he spends more than 20 days optioned)

tyler webb (3, will burn his 2017 option in a matter of days unless recalled)

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

For 2018, only Hader and Knebel matter and neither is getting optioned.

Tyler is doing everything he can to prove the Brewers made the right call. He's been nothing special in AAA, and has proven that his attitude leaves much to be desired. Not going to get much sympathy going about things the way he has this year either. Not to mention he's not exactly helping his stature with other teams

The guys with good to great numbers at Colorado Springs, Blazek, Wang, Scahill and Espino are back in AAA. The guys that had worse numbers at AAA like Suter and Hader are still in Majors. My point is it doesn't matter what the numbers are in AAA.

The guys with good to great numbers at Colorado Springs, Blazek, Wang, Scahill and Espino are back in AAA. The guys that had worse numbers at AAA like Suter and Hader are still in Majors. My point is it doesn't matter what the numbers are in AAA.

You're comparing pen arms to starters. Outside of H9 Suter smashes everything under Cravy's name. Hader has the best "stuff" in the system. Oranges to Apples. Cravy is a AAAA pitcher with no future in this org, never had one, and is having probably his worst year of his career (part of that is CS related). I thought the comment was hilarious though. You read it, chuckle, move on.

With the exception of Wang who really wasn't given a chance, Blazek, Scahill, and Espino have shown a pretty strong proficiency for not being able to pitch well in MLB. Suter and Hader have for the most part pitched well. And Hader is far and away the best pitcher of the group, so he should be playing wherever the Brewers think it is best for him to be playing.

With the exception of Wang who really wasn't given a chance, Blazek, Scahill, and Espino have shown a pretty strong proficiency for not being able to pitch well in MLB. Suter and Hader have for the most part pitched well. And Hader is far and away the best pitcher of the group, so he should be playing wherever the Brewers think it is best for him to be playing.

Blazek out of the bullpen didn't pitch well this year?

Blazek pitched fine for 6 1/3 innings. And then really, really, really badly for 2 1/3. You can't wipe away the 2 1/3.

Suter has pitched fine for the better part of 54 1/3 innings this year.

There is a reason that Scahill has been outrighted 3 times this year, and Blazek once. Between the two of them, 116 teams have passed them over when given the chance to claim them on waivers for free.

Blazek pitched fine for 6 1/3 innings. And then really, really, really badly for 2 1/3. You can't wipe away the 2 1/3.

Suter has pitched fine for the better part of 54 1/3 innings this year.

There is a reason that Scahill has been outrighted 3 times this year, and Blazek once. Between the two of them, 116 teams have passed them over when given the chance to claim them on waivers for free.

He was bad in his 2 1/3 but it was a start not in relief. Hader should of made the start IMO. You are right in the fact that no one picked them up on waivers but I think both will be pitching for someone else next year.

If a team thinks that a player on outright waivers with no options remaining is a major league quality asset to their club right now, $50,000 is not an obstacle to acquiring that player. If that player plays at even the tiniest margin above replacement level, it is in itself a value-producing transaction.

I have no idea what Brad Mills has to do with this.

If a team thinks that a player on outright waivers with no options remaining is a major league quality asset to their club right now, $50,000 is not an obstacle to acquiring that player. If that player plays at even the tiniest margin above replacement level, it is in itself a value-producing transaction.

I have no idea what Brad Mills has to do with this.

Mills was traded for $1 as opposed to the $50,000 claim fee. I assume that's why he was brought up.

• 2 weeks later...
examining the bullpen now, after sending down wei-chung wang, with number of minor league options remaining. the club has lost a great degree of flexibility in having players that can be optioned.

wei-chung wang (2, will burn his second option if he spends more than 20 days optioned)

tyler webb (3, will burn his 2017 option in a matter of days unless recalled)

webb has burned his first option.

wang was optioned 3 august, so his 20 days limit is approaching.

So, Corbin Burnes was dominant tonight, 8 innings, 8 Ks, no runs, 2 hits for AA Biloxi.

For those who don't know, he's basically been the most dominant starting pitcher in all of the minors.

Serious question: Is it totally crazy to think he could help out our bullpen in September if they wanted to find room for him on the roster? Obviously they will need to start limiting his innings anyway.

Before the game today Biloxi Baseball Ambassador Barry Lyons mentioned the Crew would want to limit Burnes workload down the stretch even with the Shuckers in the thick of the playoff race, then he comes out & throws eight strong. Not sure where his pitch count ended up but he was on cruise control most of the game sitting around 92-94 on the scoreboard with at least one 96 in the later innings.

If the team thinks everything is in order healthwise I think he could definitely pitch a few September innings.

Burnes is a guy I hope they take a serious look at for next season. Skip AAA and that hell hole in Colorado.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think we'll see Burnes because of the 40-man roster ramifications. No question that there is current excess on the 40-man and they could remove someone like Espino in the corresponding move. But once Burnes goes on he can't come off, and that would tie up a 40-man roster spot as the Brewers try to navigate through the off-season. To me that wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's likely that Stearns would see it differently. My problem with adding Burnes now would be the management of his workload. Would it be like with Hader, where the plan would be to only throw him for 1 or 2 innings every third or fourth day? I think it makes it pretty tough on Counsell to have two relievers in the pen that can only throw once every three or four days. If that's how Burnes needs to be handled then I'd rather use other options like Wang and see what he can do.

1. Pat Neshek

2. San Dyson

3. Sergio Romo

And there may be more....

Could've helped this season. Bullpen was a whiff this year for the most part from Stearns. Hope he learns in his young age.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One had to assume that the bullpen was going to take a step backward this year considering the closer, the top setup man and the top lefty were dealt...and it was a virtual lock that the 2016 bullpen leader in appearances (Torres) would not match the previous year's performance. That being said, I agree that there seems to have been opportunities for Stearns to make a bullpen move (in addition to Swarzak) that really could have helped down the stretch. I know he made it perfectly clear that the Webb trade happened because of the option situation and he would provide the Brewer's additional flexibility into the future, but it does seem like a puzzling move now since the Brewers could have used some more immediate help.

I do think Stearns had the right philosophy pre-July when it came to handling the bullpen. With the volatility of relievers, I feel it was a no-brainer to move Jeffress, Smith and Thornburg considering the returns...and I would make that same argument even if all three of those pitchers were performing at a high level this year. I also liked the idea of the 1 year, 6 million dollar flyer on a veteran pitcher, unfortunately Stearns invested in the wrong one. But I like that approach and actually hope Stearns does that same thing times two next year considering they should have the payroll space to do it. Relievers are so up and down, Feliz was bad this year but two reliever acquisition next year could produce opposite results. One thing I give Stearns huge credit for though is dumping Feliz when he did...I think a lot of GMs wouldn't want to admit the mistake and would have kept him on the roster and cost the teams more game.

Sure they could have added more rentals to most likely still miss the playoffs or at best lose in round 1. It would have taken losing people off the 40 man. It wouldn't be a smart move but Stearns could have done it, if only he had more experience he could have thrown away those resources for nothing.

Archived