Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems pretty obvious Espino is on the way up, but I'd really prefer that they just DFA Peralta and leave Blazek in the pen even if he can't pitch for a few days. Blazek was doing just fine in the bullpen and I hope they don't hold this one horrible start against him too much.

if they option blazek and he ends up spending the minimum stay required (i.e. doesn't replace an injured player), he will burn his final option. blazek is a better option for 2018 (internally or as a trade candidate) if he retains that final option.

I thought they might bring up Wang but then see that they didn't pitch Espino last night and still pitched Wang 1+ innings. Therefore I imagine Espino is up but don't know if they make a second move.

wang has already burned one option. if he's optioned for more than 20 days in 2017, he burns his second option. the club may be considering delaying wang's call until a few weeks into august.

also have to consider that the sky sox are very likely bound for the playoffs.

Since ERA is such an awful stat for small samples of relief pitching I give you scFIP stat for the Brewers. This is using mathematical models to decide hit probability and HR probability and turning it into ERA.

Swarzak - 2.49

Knebel - 3.12

Barnes - 3.62

Torres - 3.88

Drake - 4.18

Hader - 4.39

Hughes - 4.63

Scahill - 5.02

Peralta - 5.04

Not much surprising in there for me. It is nice to see that Swarzak looks to be for real. Maybe we can sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal after the season. Scahill and Peralta have been just awful. Hughes is just a filler guy at best. Drake and Torres are fine as the back end of a bullpen. Barnes probably looks the worst he has all year because he is coming off of back to back bad outings. Hader really hasn't been very good but I expect those walks to come down at some point. Hard to judge a guy that young.

The Brewers need to upgrade at least 3 arms in this bullpen to be a real playoff quality team imo. If one of those is Swarzak and Hader develops next year(and stays in pen) we may get away with just 1 more arm but it is iffy. Peralta, Hughes, Scahill all have to be gone. There is no reason Peralta or Scahill should pitch another inning for us. I'd rather they take a shot on someone in AAA than waste more time on those two.

I do think that if Swarzak makes a good impression over the next 2 months, it would make sense to try to resign him. I also think we should be trading for Justin Wilson if the acquisition cost can be mitigated by taking on Ian Kinsler since he will be available next year as well.

I know this thread says "2017 bullpen" but I'd appreciate some forward thinking here that we're going to need to seriously improve this bullpen next year and acquiring bullpen pieces now that will be around next year would be much appreciated. Webb was a good start but far from a guarantee, Swarzak is no guarantee to be here next year, it'd be nice to have someone to back up Knebel locked down for next year.

Hmmm... it's Friday and we start a series against the Cubs tonight and yet somehow Wily Peralta is still on this roster. Anyone care to defend that position?

Still plenty of time to get rid of him today but come game time if he's still around, you're right. It's ridiculous. Even if he wasn't terrible he still wouldn't be available for a couple days and the bullpen would be short 2 pitchers with him and Blazek unavailable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really am struggling to come to grips with what's going on with Peralta and his spot on the 25 man roster still. Scahill has been bad, a few other guys have been bad, but Peralta has been an outright dumpster fire for most of the season. There's absolutely no justification any sane or reasonable person could come up with for him still being on the team at this point.

Blazek, Peralta, Torres should be removed from the ML and never see a game again in a Brewer uniform. Ready or not its time to put the minors guys in and pitch. If they suck just as bad at least you found out. But continuing to leave guys on the roster that have no future in this rebuild to lose games is insanity.

Blazek, Peralta, Torres should be removed from the ML and never see a game again in a Brewer uniform. Ready or not its time to put the minors guys in and pitch. If they suck just as bad at least you found out. But continuing to leave guys on the roster that have no future in this rebuild to lose games is insanity.

It's also insanity to bring up guys who aren't ready. The names I keep seeing have not been doing well recently (Lopez, Burnes, Woodruff) And in the case of Woodruff, he's just coming back from injury.

With that said, If they want to DFA Blazek and Peralta, bring up Wang and Wilkerson (or Jungmann) I'm ok with that. I also have no interest in seeing any more of Scahill or Espino.

It's also insanity to bring up guys who aren't ready. The names I keep seeing have not been doing well recently (Lopez, Burnes, Woodruff) And in the case of Woodruff, he's just coming back from injury.

With that said, If they want to DFA Blazek and Peralta, bring up Wang and Wilkerson (or Jungmann) I'm ok with that. I also have no interest in seeing any more of Scahill or Espino.

If the concern is guys aren't ready, they have plenty of retreads in AAA to give a shot - Cravy, Dillard, Goforth, Jeanmar Gomez, Jungmann, Wilhelmsen. I have no idea how any of those guys are doing but if they feel the young guys aren't ready there are plenty of options it would be easy to give a few games and then dump without batting an eye.

if they option blazek and he ends up spending the minimum stay required (i.e. doesn't replace an injured player), he will burn his final option. blazek is a better option for 2018 (internally or as a trade candidate) if he retains that final option.

blazek will likely burn his final option unless recalled to replace an injured player. optioned today; paolo espino recalled.

some way, some how, wily peralta survives.

blazek will likely burn his final option unless recalled to replace an injured player. optioned today; paolo espino recalled.

some way, some how, wily peralta survives.

Stearns is working out a trade.

Everyone's overlooking an obvious candidate for the bullpen: Bubba Derby. Yes, he's been mostly a starter in the minors, but that's true of most major league relievers and he mostly relieved in Biloxi before being promoted and he's behind the top names mentioned as future starters.

I AM SO EXCITED WEI CHUNG HAS RETURNED!!! Still cannot believe we got him from the rule 5 on a technicality from the pirates

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Has his numbers improved? I know his ERA and stuff looked good but it seemed like a mirage when looking at his other numbers. Either way, he can't be worse than what we are trotting out there currently. Can he?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I AM SO EXCITED WEI CHUNG HAS RETURNED!!! Still cannot believe we got him from the rule 5 on a technicality from the pirates

Then he was exposed yet again to the rule 5 by us last year and not selected.

Not hating on Wang, I'm glad he is up and getting a shot. Just pointing out he's not really the prospect he once was. I hope he comes up and has success.

examining the bullpen now, prior to wei-chung wang's arrival, with number of minor league options remaining.

jacob barnes (2)

oliver drake (0)

paolo espino (2, already burned his 2017 option)

josh hader (2, already burned his 2017 option)

jared hughes (0)

corey knebel (1)

anthony swarzak (0)

carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

michael blazek (1, will burn his 2017 option in a matter of days unless recalled to replace an injured player)

taylor jungmann (1, already burned his 2017 option; has been stretched out as a starter)

jorge lopez (1, already burned his 2017 option)

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

barring a deadline trade, i'm predicting junior guerra optioned today for wei-chung wang, kirk nieuwenhuis dfa'd for matt garza's pending return, and paolo espino optioned for guerra's next start for either brandon woodruff or taylor jungmann.

examining the bullpen now, after sending down wei-chung wang, with number of minor league options remaining. the club has lost a great degree of flexibility in having players that can be optioned.

jacob barnes (2)

oliver drake (0)

josh hader (2, already burned his 2017 option)

jared hughes (0)

jeremy jeffress (0)

corey knebel (1)

anthony swarzak (0)

carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

michael blazek (1, will burn his final option in a matter of days unless recalled to replace an injured player)

paolo espino (2, already burned his 2017 option)

taylor jungmann (1, already burned his 2017 option; has been stretched out as a starter)

jorge lopez (1, already burned his 2017 option)

wei-chung wang (2, will burn his second option if he spends more than 20 days optioned)

tyler webb (3, will burn his 2017 option in a matter of days unless recalled)

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

Archived