Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
I agree that some more non-option guys could go, making room for more guys with options, and therefore a more flexible roster. I like that idea, but I think part of the reason changes in the 'pen have been slower than some would like is that our pen was filled with guys who were out of options and Stearns wanted to give them a shot at redemption before cutting ties. Now we're at the point where cutting some ties makes sense.

Yea, I also get why people don't think the changes are happening fast enough. But it does bug me when they say noting is being done. There's been plenty of changes, and that will continue.

Torres and Barnes have definitely been over-used. So now that Hader is up we will see him take some of that load off. Drake has had some great outings, I think it's just a case of not giving up on him too soon. Peralta has had plenty of success, as recently as late last season. So I get why they want to give him plenty of leash to figure it out.

I would guess one/both will be gone by the AS break if they continue to be inconsistent/horrible.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that some more non-option guys could go, making room for more guys with options, and therefore a more flexible roster. I like that idea, but I think part of the reason changes in the 'pen have been slower than some would like is that our pen was filled with guys who were out of options and Stearns wanted to give them a shot at redemption before cutting ties. Now we're at the point where cutting some ties makes sense.

Yea, I also get why people don't think the changes are happening fast enough. But it does bug me when they say noting is being done. There's been plenty of changes, and that will continue.

Torres and Barnes have definitely been over-used. So now that Hader is up we will see him take some of that load off. Drake has had some great outings, I think it's just a case of not giving up on him too soon. Peralta has had plenty of success, as recently as late last season. So I get why they want to give him plenty of leash to figure it out.

I would guess one/both will be gone by the AS break if they continue to be inconsistent/horrible.

I tend to agree, you can't give up on a guy as soon as he gives up a run or has a couple bad outings. All you'd have left is knebel. I feel like the front office has made moves at relatively the appropriate time. The only guy I'm ready to give up on is Peralta(which if for wang gives us probably enough flexibility to rotate fresh arms in). The guy hasn't had a scoreless outing in nearly a month(and it's not like he was doing well before that), and plenty of rest between outings that he shouldn't be fatigued. And his walks are out of control. I can't imagine him even making it to the all star break.

Unless there is an injury we haven't yet heard about...this can really only be a few things:

Peralta, Torres or Drake DFA - Peralta would certainly seem the most likely

Davies or Espino optioned to AAA

I'm sure I'm missing something, but those seem far and away the most logical moves.

Unless there is an injury we haven't yet heard about...this can really only be a few things:

Peralta, Torres or Drake DFA - Peralta would certainly seem the most likely

Davies or Espino optioned to AAA

I'm sure I'm missing something, but those seem far and away the most logical moves.

Technically Garza(or any starter) could be traded as well.

very classy of the brewers to hold off announcing the corresponding roster move to give their newly signed first round draft pick his time with the media . . . especially if it's something as serious as a dfa.

Its bad when it could be any one of three or four guys getting the axe. It should be pretty obvious who the weak link is, but not with this bullpen.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

still leaves the club with an eight-man bullpen. the brewers have 16 games over the next 18 days before the four-day all-star break, and those final three games before the break are in an american league park allowing for a dh.

Villar and Braun going to Appleton this weekend, could rejoin the team Tuesday...so with Suter, three spots will be needed. One could be Suter sent back down next week I suppose.

Best guess for Villar and Braun would be Franklin and Brinson, correct? if we call Sogard the starter, it leaves a bench of C, Perez, Villar, and Jesus.

Villar and Braun going to Appleton this weekend, could rejoin the team Tuesday...so with Suter, three spots will be needed. One could be Suter sent back down next week I suppose.

Best guess for Villar and Braun would be Franklin and Brinson, correct? if we call Sogard the starter, it leaves a bench of C, Perez, Villar, and Jesus.

We are gonna need him to hold off the Cubbies for the next 3 months.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

:laughing

On a serious note, I never would have fathomed in any universe this season that Eric Sogard would supplant Villar at 2nd by June, and that people would generally be ok with it.

What would you have said on opening day if I told you that by June 22nd … Braun had spent over a month on the DL, Villar had slumped so badly that he had been replaced by a castoff that hadn’t been in the majors in 2 years, Feliz was released due to terrible baseball syndrome, Guerra would get hurt that day and miss 6 weeks, Davies ERA would be north of 5, and Peralta would be removed from the rotation due to Neftali Feliz syndrome…

What odds would I have had to give you for you to place money that we would be a first place ballclub?

:laughing

On a serious note, I never would have fathomed in any universe this season that Eric Sogard would supplant Villar at 2nd by June, and that people would generally be ok with it.

What would you have said on opening day if I told you that by June 22nd … Braun had spent over a month on the DL, Villar had slumped so badly that he had been replaced by a castoff that hadn’t been in the majors in 2 years, Feliz was released due to terrible baseball syndrome, Guerra would get hurt that day and miss 6 weeks, Davies ERA would be north of 5, and Peralta would be removed from the rotation due to Neftali Feliz syndrome…

What odds would I have had to give you for you to place money that we would be a first place ballclub?

Might as well tack on that we would have the most bullpen losses in the majors.

depending on how paolo espino is handled, the brewers could have a 9-man bullpen right now with the recall of jorge lopez to take chase anderson's spot on the roster. anderson's turn in the rotation doesn't come until monday, so it should be expected for lopez to stay with the team through at least sunday.

depending on how paolo espino is handled, the brewers could have a 9-man bullpen right now with the recall of jorge lopez to take chase anderson's spot on the roster. anderson's turn in the rotation doesn't come until monday, so it should be expected for lopez to stay with the team through at least sunday.

Espino and Hader both went multiple innings last night with Anderson's early departure. I'd guess that one of them will take Anderson's spot in the rotation and therefore will not be available out of the 'pen. Bringing Lopez up just means they will have another fresh arm (and one who could go multiple innings) after the 'pen had to log a lot of innings yesterday.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

so much for that. lopez optioned, rob scahill had his contract selected again.

brent suter has been assured one more start before the all-star break. here's the bullpen now, with number of minor league options remaining.

jacob barnes (2)

michael blazek (1, has not spent more than 20 days in the minor leagues while on the 40-man roster, so his sole remaining option has not been burned)

oliver drake (0)

josh hader (2, already burned his 2017 option)

jared hughes (0)

corey knebel (1)

rob scahill (0)

carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

paolo espino (2, already burned his 2017 option)

taylor jungmann (1, already burned his 2017 option; had been stretched out as a starter)

jorge lopez (1, already burned his 2017 option)

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

Bullpen is starting to look a lot better recently. I like Barnes/Blazek/Drake/Hader/Hughes/Knebel a lot.

Hughes and Drake have gotten so much grief this year on these forums, which has really surprised me because they've both pitched pretty well.

If you take out 1 bad performance each where they gave up 4 ER in a single outing, Hughes sits at a 2.23 ERA and Drake (with the Brewers) at a 3.23 ERA.

I'm not entirely convinced this team needs to go get any bullpen pieces at the deadline. Torres/Scahill probably aren't guys you want in there for a playoff run, but I'm comfortable giving some internal options the chance to stick for the rest of the year. I'd at least like to see Wang/Lopez/Archer given chances.

• 2 weeks later...

in the past month Drake, Barnes & Hughes have given up only 0 ER in 25.2 IP! and you can add in Blazek's 0 ER in 4 IP now that he's back up too. in addition, Torres & Hader have only given up 4 ER in 22.1 IP (2 each)- its not just runs either- all of them have great WHIPS and OPS splits as well this past month. way to go guys! Hopefully a trend that continues through October...

Knebel's actually been the "weak link", but that was just one outing and has still been just as dominant otherwise. I'm just left to wonder why Scahill is still on the roster. would like to see Jungmann again or Wang given a chance. and would have to think that Webb will be back up soon and Jeanmar Gomez will be given a shot. so i'll fear not. either way, cannot wait until Woodruff is back healthy and added to the mix in some way- whenever that is. things are looking up.

It's hard not to be frustrated with the bullpen, but as I think about, what else can we really expect? The Crew flipped all of its best relievers for prospects either at the deadline last year or in the offseason. Management basically decided relief pitching was a crap shoot and got value where the market was willing to overpay.

We knew going in that that course of action was going to leave the team without a proven bullpen option, and so far that's hurt. I think Knebel and Barnes will be fine, and it's good they've had a chance to run through a pressure, MLB season. Hughes has looked good other than last (and both him and Knebel weren't exactly hit hard), and I feel good about Hader going forward wherever he ends up. Even Drake seems like a usable piece.

Point is, we kind of knew this was going to be the way of the season. I remember lots of posts talking about how the Brewers were going to have to win games 7-6. I think these types of streaks are what happens when you get a young team and a young, unproven bullpen. The fun part is watching how they respond. I'm excited to see what happens over the next week. Be good to get a look at how these guys play under pressure/nerves.

after today's embarrassment, one would think that the brewers would want to have fresh bullpen arms for the weekend series against the cubs.

jorge lopez could be recalled, and has not thrown much in recent days. tyler webb would be eligible to be recalled tomorrow, but he's been hit hard since being optioned. taylor jungmann just threw 6.0 yesterday, so he'd be of little help. paolo espino is scheduled to start tonight for colorado springs.

fortunately, one 40-man spot is open, and another could be created via the dfa of wily peralta. you have to think that the brewers are going to bring up at least one arm by tomorrow.

Archived