Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone

I cannot believe they determined Tommy Milone to be a better option than anyone out there as the lefty out of the pen.

Isn't there some lefty arm that was out there in the Rule 5 draft that at least has possible upside as a flyer? Heck, why not just try Wei-Chung Wang? At least there's possible upside there.

Milone seems like such a Melvin move.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched Milone pitch for the A's when he had a few good years, then I watched him pitch for the Twins. He's not what he used to be. This kind of move is a slap in the face of numerous guys trying to make the team. Good job Stearns, nice loyalty to your organizational players.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, I'm guessing he's gone when Garza is activated

Not likely, now that his $1.25 million becomes guaranteed. It would have cost them nothing to cut him now.

So this means Milone makes it over Barnes or Shahill most likely.

If he threw a decent slider I could conceivably see them trying to recreate Zach Duke, but he is basically a junk ball pitcher who has gotten afraid to throw a fastball. Oh well, I guess it gives them a long man for now. The 8th man in a bullpen isn't overly worth getting excited I guess, but taking lesser players for a veteran presence gets old.

A move I thought was baffling was signing a closer for 4.5 million. I thought Torres could of slide into that role easily, sort of the way Thornburg did last year. Not sure what Milone's career relief splits are. Milone on being told he made team...are you kidding me? Is this an early April's fool joke? Counsell...no its real and youre our veteran presence in the bullpen.

Just saw that Barnes made the team. The last 2 spots are between Jungmann, Cravy and Shahill.

Jungmann made the team, while both Cravy and Scahill were cut (and both are incredibly upset), so there is an outside move coming. It sounds like Scahill will report to AAA while Cravy went nuclear in his comments to reporters. Cravy may quit and look for "a 9-5 job where I'm treated like a human" and that "I'm not sure I want to play for guys that treat you like this." Both Scahill and Cravy were told they were in an open competition for jobs, pitched great, and then were cut anyways.

Gruber Lawffices

Just saw that Barnes made the team. The last 2 spots are between Jungmann, Cravy and Shahill.

Jungmann made the team, while both Cravy and Scahill were cut (and both are incredibly upset), so there is an outside move coming. It sounds like Scahill will report to AAA while Cravy went nuclear in his comments to reporters. Cravy may quit and look for "a 9-5 job where I'm treated like a human" and that "I'm not sure I want to play for guys that treat you like this." Both Scahill and Cravy were told they were in an open competition for jobs, pitched great, and then were cut anyways.

Agree with Cravy.... you take people above you at their word.

Barnes did not do much well in spring training AND he has options.

I think Cravy has a right to be mad given his ST performance.

With that said, saying he's going to get a 9-5 where he'll be treated like a human is kind of insulting to everyone who has actually worked a 9-5 and understands the middle class struggle to make ends meet.

That being said, he's already earned a retirement pension and lifetime healthcare because of his time on the MLB roster with this organization. He made more in his limited MLB time last year than I made on my '9-5', and as a 40 man roster member with MLB experience, he'll make $86,500 this year just pitching for Colorado Springs if he never gets called up, probably more than he'll make at his hypothetical 9-5.

More likely, he'll be the first guy called up out of the pen when an injury takes place or a guy underperforms, which shouldn't take long, at which point he'll be making a prorated half a million plus this year.

So really Tyler, it's not that bad. Shut up and do your job, and you'll be back up soon. Or go ahead and quit and see how much better the real world is.

Full quote from Cravy:

"I'd rather just find a 9-5 job where I get treated like a human at this point," Cravy said. "It would just be nice to have the honesty straight upfront, instead of, 'Hey, you're competing for a job,' and then to literally out-compete everyone and be told, 'Sorry, we have other plans.' It's tough. It says a lot about the integrity, or lack thereof, of the guys running the show."
Gruber Lawffices

Shocked that Cravy didn't make the team. Not just spring, but he was great out of the bullpen last year - over 86 PAs as a reliever he had a .452 OPS-A (small sample, but he performed).

I kind of understand that you can't send Jungmann to Colorado Springs - it's either the majors or AA. But Cravy not making the team, and keeping Milone over Suter (who had a .459 OPS-A as a reliever last year - also small sample, but he performed), were both questionable decisions.

If I'm another GM who needs a couple of cheap bullpen pieces, I'm calling Stearns right now to see if Cravy and Suter can be had for cheap.

I like Cravy popping off like that.

If he was told by management that it was an open competition for jobs and he outperformed guys, he's got every right to be ticked off.

He and his wife had a baby in February and he thinks he earned major league money, but will make much less in AAA.

It's easy to call it sour grapes and to criticize him for badmouthing the organization, but if he was lied to, then they have it coming.

Stearns is the golden boy, and maybe he did nothing wrong. But I'm willing to believe Cravy until someone convinces me not to.

Archived