Brewer Fanatic

2017 bullpen

djoctagone
  • Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Krod would be absolutely hilarious. I'm pulling for Jeffress though.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As of June 18, the Brewers had already played 15 games in June where the game was tied or the Brewers had a lead of 3 runs or fewer in the 8th inning or later. That stretch of close, winnable games would take a toll on any bullpen. I don't remember a stretch like this since 1988-90 (when the Brewers consistently overused Dan Plesac).

The score doesn't really matter. These days your bullpen is pretty much guaranteed to pitch at least 2 innings every game and outside of Knebel they've all been terrible. Making big leads smaller, blowing leads, and making scores that were within reach out of reach quickly.

He's terrible against righties, and the one thing he does sort of well, get lefties out, is something we have no reason to think Wang wouldn't be better at, who should be his direct replacement.

K% Vs LHB

Drake 25.3% vs. MLB hitters

Wang 12.5% vs. AAA hitters

Im going to speculate that David Stearns disagrees with your conclusion.

Lefties are also hitting. 257 against Drake with a .705 OPS. Wang's K's are down, but lefties are hitting only .159 against him this year.

There's more to getting lefties out than just a higher K rate.

He's terrible against righties, and the one thing he does sort of well, get lefties out, is something we have no reason to think Wang wouldn't be better at, who should be his direct replacement.

K% Vs LHB

Drake 25.3% vs. MLB hitters

Wang 12.5% vs. AAA hitters

Im going to speculate that David Stearns disagrees with your conclusion.

Lefties are also hitting. 257 against Drake with a .705 OPS. Wang's K's are down, but lefties are hitting only .159 against him this year.

There's more to getting lefties out than just a higher K rate.

Batting average against is a terrible predictive indicator when you are talking about a sample with a .179 BABIP on 37 balls in play and a ground ball rate less than 40%. Do you honestly believe Wang is going to come close to that number against MLB exit velocities and an outfield of Braun, Santana, Thames and Perez versus Brinson, Cordell, Phillips and Wren?

Batting average against is a terrible predictive indicator when you are talking about a sample with a .179 BABIP on 37 balls in play and a ground ball rate less than 40%. Do you honestly believe Wang is going to come close to that number against MLB exit velocities and an outfield of Braun, Santana, Thames and Perez versus Brinson, Cordell, Phillips and Wren?

Wang also pitches in the harshest minor league environment there is.

Regardless, it doesn't matter whether he can come close to that number. What matters is whether or not he can be better than Drake.

I don't get why Counsell insists on using Peralta for more than one inning. He's been fairly good in the first inning and then blows up in the second. I'd keep Peralta for now and have Stearns or Arnold or somebody else smack Counsell upside the head and tell him to only use Peralta for an inning.

That should about do it for Wily Peralta's Brewers career. Pathetic.

Disappointing really, it looked like early on he had a chance to be a special pitcher. Instead he joins a long list of Brewer pitching prospects to turn into giant busts.

But it's a new era, new GM, new Scouting director, maybe the trend changes.

I don't get why Counsell insists on using Peralta for more than one inning. He's been fairly good in the first inning and then blows up in the second. I'd keep Peralta for now and have Stearns or Arnold or somebody else smack Counsell upside the head and tell him to only use Peralta for an inning.

Then send him to AAA to show he can pitch one inning. We have too many crappy one inning relievers as it is. Sometimes you're down a few runs and you need a guy to cover a few innings like Espino is doing now.

Because if he can't go 2 innings he isn't worth rostering. The only way he is worth it next year at his price tag is if he can consistently give you 2 innings to bridge low inning starts to the end of the game guys. I'm guessing Peralta gets DFA'd or just not used by September. He is a sunk cost at this point.

That should about do it for Wily Peralta's Brewers career. Pathetic.

Disappointing really, it looked like early on he had a chance to be a special pitcher. Instead he joins a long list of Brewer pitching prospects to turn into giant busts.

But it's a new era, new GM, new Scouting director, maybe the trend changes.

Did he though? I looked up his numbers tonight because I'm assuming he's gone tomorrow and was interested to see if he ever really did anything. He never had a WHIP below 1.32 at any levels of the minors and was consistently walking 4 per 9. K/9 was pretty decent between 8 and 10 but nothing else stood out as impressive. Outside of his 29 innings his rookie year, only once had an ERA below 4 and a WHIP below 1.4 and his FIP's pretty much back up his ERA. His k/9 dropped off quite a bit from the minors but he did lower his bb/9 a little. Basically he had one so-so year and was terrible the rest of the time. His numbers regressed almost every year. Quite honestly it's a miracle he's had a job as long as he did.

It was more his stuff than his numbers. He threw high 90's with tons of movement on his fastball. The thought was if he could refine the slider a little and work on the changeup he had the stuff to be dominant. It never happened.

And yeah, even his one good year in the big leagues wasn't that good.

Because if he can't go 2 innings he isn't worth rostering. The only way he is worth it next year at his price tag is if he can consistently give you 2 innings to bridge low inning starts to the end of the game guys. I'm guessing Peralta gets DFA'd or just not used by September. He is a sunk cost at this point.

He's been fine for the most part in his first inning. He's a complete disaster when he comes out for a second.

First inning

8 IP, 4 ER (unscored on in 7 of 9 appearances), 5 BB (1 intentional, 3 more in one game), 5 H, 7 K

Second inning

5.2 IP, 12 ER, 5 BB, 14 H, 6 K

Obviously you'd prefer if he could pitch multiple innings but it looks pretty clear right now that he can't. That doesn't mean he's worthless, it just means that Counsell needs to stop trying to make him do something he clearly can't do.

I would hardly say that any of those numbers are good for a guy who can only pitch one inning and I really wouldn't want to use him in close games given his struggles, so the only opportunities are nights like tonight down a few runs, and when that's the case you really need someone to pitch multiple innings.

Archived