Brewer Fanatic

2017 position player group

djoctagone
I know he was 0 for 4 with 3 K's, but the lineup with Thames in RF and Aguilar at 1B is one that Counsell needs to stick with for a while. Santana isn't the everyday answer and Aguilar needs regular ABs. Another option we should see more of if Aguilar falters is Thames in RF, Shaw at 1B and Perez at 3B. Shaw's lack of range at 3B is pretty noticeable and might have cost them a game in Chicago when he couldn't come up with a play on what turned out to be the key hit of the game for Cubs.

With both Brinson and Cordell swinging hot bats, the OF might look a lot different in August and September but for now, they need to find production.

Perez shouldn't be starting everyday over Shaw and I am not ready to just throw the towel in on Santana to give at bats to Aguilar. That seems really short-sighted and misguided.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he was 0 for 4 with 3 K's, but the lineup with Thames in RF and Aguilar at 1B is one that Counsell needs to stick with for a while. Santana isn't the everyday answer and Aguilar needs regular ABs. Another option we should see more of if Aguilar falters is Thames in RF, Shaw at 1B and Perez at 3B. Shaw's lack of range at 3B is pretty noticeable and might have cost them a game in Chicago when he couldn't come up with a play on what turned out to be the key hit of the game for Cubs.

With both Brinson and Cordell swinging hot bats, the OF might look a lot different in August and September but for now, they need to find production.

A week ago Santana’s wRC was 130 with a BABIP at .259. I will admit that his inability to elevate the ball has been a disturbing. He had a terrible week, but he is still 24 with a 107 wRC in his 200 PAs. Aguilar had a nice spring, but I fail to see how he offers more present production or long term upside to the organization.

You complain about lack of present production in one sentence, than you want Perez whose breakout year was an 89 wRC at a position that averages 106. Santana is 1.5 years younger, and has never failed to outhit Perez including so far this year.

Scooter has played 2B/3B/LF/RF for the Reds so far this year without an error, and has an .895 OPS (small sample alert).

So it is no longer a theory as to whether he can play multiple positions in MLB, he is doing it.

He is about to turn 27 and won't be a free agent until 2020, he was not considered a long term part of the rebuilding Brewers, which could have been shortsighted but Stearns evaluated the talent levels and saw Villar/Perez/Diaz and Dubon as having better longterm potential and longer years of being under team control than Scooter, with a lower cost. I get it.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

So it is no longer a theory as to whether he can play multiple positions in MLB, he is doing it.

Meh, you can put anyone out in positions and say they are "doing it." We'll see what this looks like come years end. I still have no problem with cutting him. I guess the one you could say he maybe should've been kept over is Aguilar. Time will tell.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Meh, you can put anyone out in positions and say they are "doing it." We'll see what this looks like come years end. I still have no problem with cutting him. I guess the one you could say he maybe should've been kept over is Aguilar. Time will tell.

I think that is true with many of the multiple position players. Villar is average to below average at most of the defensive positions he plays. Same to a lesser degree with Ben Zobrist even, who is a poster child for the supersub/utiltity freak types. Javier Baez is an exception.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's the Stearns philosophy, versatility over performance.

Exhibit Scooter vs what ultimately became Franklin.

That's the Stearns philosophy, versatility over performance.

Exhibit Scooter vs what ultimately became Franklin.

Sure.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Other thing to remember for Scooter is that it might not have been purely on the field baseball related. He was getting 2.5 mil this season, his replacement should be around 550K. This was also a move to save 2 million dollars. Basically deciding that however much better he might be vs his replacement, he wasn't better by enough to spend 5x as much money. Basically the decision was he wasn't worth 2.5 mil unless he was a starter playing nearly every day. And going into the year you had your seemingly super util guy in Perez already, not a need for another if it costs 2.5 mil instead of 500K. I like Scooter as much as the next guy, but I totally get it. Have to pay for those new concession stands!!

Exactly. If Scooter was league minimum he might still be on this team. The Brewers gambled by signing him, hoping he could be trade bait but no one took us up on it. Is what it is. Villar needs to play everyday, is the better player, and has more upside. None of that is debatable.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a bit surprised they didn't call up a bat for a few days while Shaw is out (instead of Brent Suter). The bench is really short-handed now.

agreed . . . especially with eric thames needing rest for his legs as well. at this point, any hitter could be brought up:

--yadiel rivera could be recalled to allow hernan perez to play left field

--any outfielder on the 40-man could be recalled

--ivan de jesus, jr. or kyle wren could have his contract selected (wren could be optioned back; de jesus would have to be outrighted to be sent down)

but when the brewers can't get their starters to last more than six innings, an extra arm takes precedence.

Not sure what the best thread for this is, but this seems as good as any:

Who is our emergency catcher? And likewise, if we need to call on a position player to pitch, who would be the first name(s) called upon?

Verified Member

Who is our emergency catcher? And likewise, if we need to call on a position player to pitch, who would be the first name(s) called upon?

If Lee Tunnell and Marcus Hannel get caught in a freak traffic jam and miss the plane for a road trip, Darnell Coles gets shingles and is out for a coupla weeks, Counsell and Pat Murphy get thrown out of a game and Windmill Ed catches a line drive in the temple, Is Derek Johnson the 1st base coach, pitching coach, hitting coach AND active manager?

Who would coach the yahoos in the bullpen!?!?

There are certain ifs, buts, and what-have-yous that are more important than others.

This is an interesting question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. It doesn't have huge practical significance, but teams plan for contingencies, and it's fun to know what the plan is.

This is an interesting question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. It doesn't have huge practical significance, but teams plan for contingencies, and it's fun to know what the plan is.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Perez.

Not surprisingly, Pérez exclaimed, 'Yes sir!' when asked if he also was the Brewers' emergency catcher behind Manny Piña and Jett Bandy, although he said he'd need to borrow one of their mitts if he had to fill in.

• 1 month later...

with ryan braun and jonathan villar both expected to return next week, one has to think that if wanting to stick with an eight-man bullpen, that the brewers will option lewis brinson and designate nick franklin for assignment.

eric sogard has definitely proven he deserves to start at second base for the time being, so it will be interesting to see what defensive position(s) villar plays during his minor league rehab assignment.

with ryan braun and jonathan villar both expected to return next week, one has to think that if wanting to stick with an eight-man bullpen, that the brewers will option lewis brinson and designate nick franklin for assignment.

eric sogard has definitely proven he deserves to start at second base for the time being, so it will be interesting to see what defensive position(s) villar plays during his minor league rehab assignment.

Did I hear correctly that Braun and Villar are going to be playing with the T-Rats in Appleton this weekend?

Did I hear correctly that Braun and Villar are going to be playing with the T-Rats in Appleton this weekend?

Yes they are!

Really interested to see what happens with Villar/Sogard once Jon returns and to a lesser extent Perez. Sogard has clearly outplayed Villar so far. Shaw has locked down 3B, even against LHP. You basically have 3 guys for one starting spot, where ever that may be defensively. I imagine Sogard and Perez see some time at SS but I just can't see a place where Villar deserves to play.

How much playing time will Villar get after his rehab assignment? Where would he play? Sogard is playing well and is hitting well from the leadoff spot. Can't see Villar filling in for Shaw or Arcia. Does Villar play OF? But can't believe he would get much time there either. How much did he cost himself by not signing the contract the Brewers offered over the off season?

Yea, it's a good problem to have when everyone is hitting. Same issue getting Aguilar ABs, now that Thames (thankfully) won't be playing any LF moving forward. CC will definitely mix in starts for everyone, but one or two of these guys will definitely see less ABs. Of course, a trade could change all that.

Villar will get as much playing time as his bat allows. If he hits he'll work his way back to where he was. If he doesn't, he'll be a bat bench.

villar is starting at second base tonight for the timber rattlers.

Archived