Brewer Fanatic

2017 position player group

djoctagone

the 2017 bench (or, as craig counsell prefers to call it, the position player group) is not likely to be as clearly defined as bench roles in past seasons. part of that is due to david stearns' commitment to finding players with defensive versatility, so it's possible that we'll see more starts from these players (like we saw with hernan perez last year).

it should be noted that many of the likely bench roles will be filled by guys out of minor league options (number remaining listed in parentheses after his name).

what we can likely expect in 2017:

--ryan braun will have scheduled days off, necessitating someone else in left field.

--eric thames (by terms of contract, 0) is long-removed from facing major league-caliber pitching.

--travis shaw (2) was platooned last year by boston. can he adjust to playing every day?

--craig counsell has stated that catching duties will be more evenly divided.

--the brewers have hinted at being "creative" with their pitching staff. whether that calls for a 13-man pitching staff or not, remains to be seen.

catcher: appear to be set with manny pina (0) and jett bandy (1) . one will likely emerge with more playing time as the season progresses.

outfield: kirk nieuwenhuis (0) and hernan perez (0). i'm predicting that scooter gennett (1) will get the most starts in left when braun is rested. eric thames (0) may see some action in right.

infield: scooter gennett and hernan perez, with jesus aguilar (0) likely to make the club (but only able to play first base). jonathan villar (0) can move to short if orlando arcia (2) needs a day off.

i can understand why stearns and counsell want to fill their bench with more established players out of minor league options: if a player can be optioned, it's better to let him play more often at aa or aaa (i.e. yadiel rivera) rather than ride the bench and get infrequent at-bats.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says Shaw plays everyday? They've played lip service to that, but they did that in the past with Gennett and then platooned him exclusively. I expect we'll see a lot of Perez at 3B against LHP. Nieuwenhuis will see a lot of action in RF, not in a pure platoon, but Santana has struggled vs. RHP in the past and when he's not going good, Counsell won't hesitate sitting him especially since Santana is a defensive liability.. Agree Gennett gets starts in LF when Braun sits, but Scooter is still going to get starts at 2nd base too. Villar is a weaker hitter from the left side, plus Arcia isn't starting everyday at SS.

Will Aguilar mostly platoon with Thames? Depends on how Thames does. No reason not to protect him vs. tough lefties but he will get a chance to prove himself first.

I can't imagine them platooning Thames or Shaw unless they prove they can't hit lefties to a point where it is direly needed. When you are trying to maximize wins a strict platoon makes total sense, when you are trying to maximize player value you try to avoid it. They will get every chance to prove they can hit lefties.

CC has to be salivating over the possibility of having Perez, Aguilar, and De Jesus on his bench. The versatility there is unprecedented. I have to imagine Stearns is working every angle trying to find a suitor for Gennett. I think there's a decent chance it happens.

craig counsell has hinted that while the club may not open with a 13-man pitching staff, it's likely that they'll want an extra pitcher sometime in april. assuming no outside transactions that change the makeup of the 40-man, and assuming one wants to preserve the talent on the 40-man roster and not risk outrighting position players, gennett seems likely to be optioned. given gennett's salary, i'm sure the brewers will want to keep his stay in the minors at the minimum.

however, we should note that the minimum time to stay optioned (10 days, unless replacing an injured player) is now equal to the time that a player can spend on the disabled list. that may come into play.

We could still see a trade made, but at this point, I'd go with:

Pina as backup catcher

Kirk N as primary CF backup, also backing up corner OF

Gennett as backup 2B/3B/corner OF

Perez as backup at every position except pitcher or catcher.

Aguilar as backup 1B / "power bat off bench"

When Arcia needs a day off, I'd try to sit him vs a RHP, when I'd put Villar at SS and Gennett at 2B. If an OF is injured for an extended period, I'd call up Brinson.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

it should be noted that many of the likely bench roles will be filled by guys out of minor league options (number remaining listed in parentheses after his name).

after waiving gennett, bench candidates within the organization:

ivan de jesus jr. (0)

eric sogard (1)

nate orf (3)

My money is on them going with 13 pitchers.

I think they want to keep Aguilar along with someone who can back up SS so that Villar can be full-time 2B. Having Gennett didn't allow for that, so he's gone and I think de Jesus will make the team. All this could of course change if we see a trade that changes things dramatically.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think they start with 12 pitchers but as was stated by Counsell they want that extra pitcher later this month so I could see them waiting to see if an injury occurs otherwise I could see them dfa'ing Dejesus if no one gets hurt after a week or so.

DeJesus definitely did everything he possibly could to make it. Sometimes it's out of your control, you need other stars to align, and they didn't. Thought they might be aligning when Scooter was waived.

But hopefully they let him know he did everything within his control to make it. If we had a 26th spot I'd bet he'd have it.

I am happy for Aguilar, but I'm staying grounded on him. MLB history is littered with guys who were spring training stars only to never be heard from again. Aguilar has several thousand ABs of a sample size in the minors that suggest he's far more likely to join that group then he is to suddenly become a quality starting MLB 1st baseman after a small sample size of spring training ABs.

That said, he certainly earned his way on with performance and I certainly wish him the best of luck overcoming those odds. If nothing else, it's always handy to have a power bat on the bench.

I don't like keeping Aguilar on the team to be honest. He needs full time ABs and I just don't see how he is getting them at the majors. If this were a likely playoff team and him filling in with quality ABs could be the difference between the playoffs or not I would understand it. Now it just seems like limiting his upside by keeping him on the bench a bunch.

I don't like keeping Aguilar on the team to be honest. He needs full time ABs and I just don't see how he is getting them at the majors. If this were a likely playoff team and him filling in with quality ABs could be the difference between the playoffs or not I would understand it. Now it just seems like limiting his upside by keeping him on the bench a bunch.

Looks like he's going to get 2-3 starts a week, replacing Thames on occasion vs. LHP, and when Thames goes to corner OF. But I tend to agree with you to an extent. They have a weaker bench today than they did before the release of Scooter, with Nieuwenhuis, who's a strikeout machine, as their lone LH bat off the bench. I'd have released Nieuwenhuis instead, and used Perez to back up Broxton.

Looks like he's going to get 2-3 starts a week, replacing Thames on occasion vs. LHP, and when Thames goes to corner OF. But I tend to agree with you to an extent. They have a weaker bench today than they did before the release of Scooter, with Nieuwenhuis, who's a strikeout machine, as their lone LH bat off the bench. I'd have released Nieuwenhuis instead, and used Perez to back up Broxton.

If Scooter could play anything but second base, this might've happened. Either way, Nieuwenhuis is not as bad as some want to make him out to being.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It will be interesting to see how often Thames is used as a corner OF. If they like Thames in the OF/Aguilar at 1B more than Perez in the OF/Thames at 1B, then Aguilar could see a decent number of PAs this year.

Otherwise, Aguilar isn't going to see many PAs as "primary power bat off the bench" with the occasional start at first.

~Bill Walsh

It will be interesting to see how often Thames is used as a corner OF. If they like Thames in the OF/Aguilar at 1B more than Perez in the OF/Thames at 1B, then Aguilar could see a decent number of PAs this year.

Otherwise, Aguilar isn't going to see many PAs as "primary power bat off the bench" with the occasional start at first.

I would like to see Thames/Aguilar splitting games 50/50 for the first three weeks at least. Aguilar all the lefties and a few righties. That should be enough games played for both to stay/get on track.

I could see if Thames and Aguilar are both hot, that Thames could take some Santana and Braun games started when a righty is pitching.

I would be hesitant to take too many of Santana's games, time to see what he can be. But Braun needs to be given days off.

I would like to see Thames/Aguilar splitting games 50/50 for the first three weeks at least.

I get where you're going after how spring training went, but the Brewers just signed Thames to a three-year deal, while Aguilar was a waiver wire claim. I don't think there's any way they're splitting time unless Thames really stinks for an extended period.

~Bill Walsh

• 4 weeks later...
it should be noted that since designating kirk nieuwenhuis for assignment, the brewers have been operating with a four-man position player group. seeing that they won't have use of the dh until june, one has to wonder how long the club will operate this way . . . especially without a true center fielder on the roster.

I know he was 0 for 4 with 3 K's, but the lineup with Thames in RF and Aguilar at 1B is one that Counsell needs to stick with for a while. Santana isn't the everyday answer and Aguilar needs regular ABs. Another option we should see more of if Aguilar falters is Thames in RF, Shaw at 1B and Perez at 3B. Shaw's lack of range at 3B is pretty noticeable and might have cost them a game in Chicago when he couldn't come up with a play on what turned out to be the key hit of the game for Cubs.

With both Brinson and Cordell swinging hot bats, the OF might look a lot different in August and September but for now, they need to find production.

Archived