Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training in Maryvale?

Attanasio addressed the issue briefly back in February. My guess is we will hear something by the end of 2017.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Attanasio suggested recent talk of a "potential solution" in Arizona, though he didn't specify which community the club was eyeing. "It's hard to handicap these things," Attanasio said. "We do have to bring these things to a conclusion at some point. Now with the player development focus we have, we've got to have upgraded facilities." One option is remaining at Maryvale but expanding the Major League clubhouse and offices. Or the Brewers could move. Reports in recent years have linked them to Peoria, Ariz., and to a tract of land in North Scottsdale near Bell Rd. and the Loop 101 freeway, but talks with those communities hit roadblocks. "[Arizona] is our leading contender," Attanasio said. "It's our first choice and our second choice. But at some point, we have to have facilities that we think are best in class for development purposes. That's going to take precedence."

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/216403734/brewers-search-for-new-spring-training-hub/

Is the annual opt-out date April 15th?

I'm not sure. They are year to year. I doubt they could get a new facility built in 10 months so I can almost guarantee they are back at Maryvale in 2018. All bets are off beyond 2018.

Below is all I could find on the Brewers lease:

Maryvale Ballpark History

Initially planned to be the anchor of a two team complex, Maryvale Baseball Park had to settle for one tenant after the White Sox ended up choosing to share a stadium in Tucson with the Diamondbacks. That meant the Brewers, lured away from nearby Chandler, would have the facility all to themselves.

Built on 56 acres of land donated by prominent local developer John F. Long, the Brewers' complex cost about $23 million to build and was completed in less than a year. The ballpark was designed by Ellerbe Becket, the same architectural firm responsible for the Diamondbacks' Chase Field, which also opened in Phoenix in 1998.

Owned and operated by the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, the Maryvale spring training complex features the main ballpark, five full practice fields and two half-sized practice fields. The Brewers began training here in 1998, which coincided with their move from the American to the National League.

Of all the teams in the Cactus League the Brewers are considered the least stable, as they are the only team training in Arizona without a long-term lease. The original 15-year deal the Brewers signed to train in Maryvale expired after the 2012 spring season. The team is now essentially tethered to Maryvale on just a year-to-year basis, as the renewal agreement the Brewers signed with Phoenix in 2012 only committed them to the complex for 2013-14. From 2015 through 2022, the Brewers have a series of one-year options to stay in the only training grounds the team has ever had as a National League franchise.

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/spring/maryvale.html

Archived