Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
  • Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have too much depth on offense!! Hahaha just kidding. But boy that lineup looks good.

They are 2nd in the entire NL in runs scored with a roster full of position players who are all controllable through at least 2019 and with bats in the minors to replace any that falter down the road. What's to rebuild? Pitching sure, but all teams have to keep developing and acquiring pitching (see 2017 Cubs) to stay on top.

Verified Member
I really like this young, talented team. Stearns has put together a quality offensive team. Pitching problems sure, but problems can be fixed during the course of the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since bottoming out on April 19th with a line of .119/.196/.214, Keon Broxton has a line of .348/.408/.594 in his last 20 games to raise his overall numbers to .271/.339/.467
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since bottoming out on April 25th with a line of .169/.276/.323, Domingo Santana has a line of .340/.431/.560 in his last 15 games to raise his overall numbers to .255/.357/.445
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How can you be anything but optimistic right now. Everyone is brewlieving!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is still a rebuilding year & the process should not be rushed.

It is great and exciting that team is currently doing well (personally I'm happy for the club & its fans) but rebuilding & development still needs to be done, with focus on the pitching staff (rotation & bullpen).

Assuming this process is not rushed for short-sighted chases in 2017 & 2018, the outlook for 2019 & beyond is looking very bright...

It is great and exciting that team is currently doing well (personally I'm happy for the club & its fans) but rebuilding & development still needs to be done, with focus on the pitching staff (rotation & bullpen).

Assuming this process is not rushed for short-sighted chases in 2017 & 2018, the outlook for 2019 & beyond is looking very bright...

Save this junk for another thread. It's World Series or bust for the Brewers this season!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Biggest fear is Brewers rush it like Astros. I mean it has been working out with Astros but thought the started selling off deep farm a little too early. Like someone said just before, this rebuilding team.... trust the process. If we make WC with talent we have & call up...Great! But in no way should they even consider buying. I'd still sell certain players off to make room for the future like Woodruff & Hader to get experience.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Biggest fear is Brewers rush it like Astros. I mean it has been working out with Astros but thought the started selling off deep farm a little too early. Like someone said just before, this rebuilding team.... trust the process. If we make WC with talent we have & call up...Great! But in no way should they even consider buying. I'd still sell certain players off to make room for the future like Woodruff & Hader to get experience.

I don't think we have the luxury as a small market to "wait." Looking at the FA pitching the next couple years it's weak, so either way we will probably have to acquire via trade. Whenever the time comes the team looks ready it's time to roll with it IMO. If we end up like Houston so be it, they're a good squad.

I would guess right now DS is figuring out which of Broxton, Santana, Brinson, Phillips, etc are the most valuable and then unload a couple of them. I know folks keep clamoring for Braun to go but I don't see it, he's just too good a player to unload unless it's an offer we can't refuse. It's not like his salary is hurting anything with the amount of cheap controlled players coming up. I think it's more likely Braun retires a Brewer or leaves at the very end of his career like Soriano did with the Cubs.

Community Moderator
Trust the process indeed. I think they are best to make small moves for pitchers, not unloading a bunch of talent for one. Yesterday definitely was an all timer! I really don't think they should be focusing much on this year except understanding the talent and where they fit long term. Help them keep growing as players! Fun stuff.

I still think they flip Garza and, if the return is good, Guerra. This team has been fun as hell to watch, but the offense is covering up a whole lotta warts on the pitching side. Deal Garza and Guerra, put Wily in the pen, bring up Lopez and Espino and let the cards fall where they may.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Save this junk for another thread. It's World Series or bust for the Brewers this season!

WORLD SERIES HERE WE COME BABAYYYYYY!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I still am a little skeptical that the offense will hold up over the long term but this sure has been a lot more exciting than I was expecting 2017 to be. A lot of the hitters are just playing so much better than they ever have or were really ever projected to. Pitching is the question mark but rather than trading for an expensive starter comes June or July I would rather give Woodruff, Hader, or Lopez a shot. They won't cost anything. I am sure their are some relievers in AA and AAA that could help to. I don't think Stearn will trade away any significant MILB talent this year but if he does it would likely be out of the OF surplus.

I still am a little skeptical that the offense will hold up over the long term but this sure has been a lot more exciting than I was expecting 2017 to be. A lot of the hitters are just playing so much better than they ever have or were really ever projected to. Pitching is the question mark but rather than trading for an expensive starter comes June or July I would rather give Woodruff, Hader, or Lopez a shot. They won't cost anything. I am sure their are some relievers in AA and AAA that could help to. I don't think Stearn will trade away any significant MILB talent this year but if he does it would likely be out of the OF surplus.

What's exciting is that the offense is coming from players blossoming at one time, Shaw, Broxton,, Perez, Santana, Pina, Thames, Aguilar, Bandy who are all controllable. Maybe, just maybe these guys are very good. Keith Hernandez who knows hitting, was raving about Perez all weekend even daring to say he looks a bit like Miguel Cabrera at the plate. Perez has been around Cabrera and no doubt learned some things. Pina has looked like a natural hitter from day one. It's astounding it took so long for him to get to majors.

What's exciting is that the offense is coming from players blossoming at one time, Shaw, Broxton,, Perez, Santana, Pina, Thames, Aguilar, Bandy who are all controllable. Maybe, just maybe these guys are very good. Keith Hernandez who knows hitting, was raving about Perez all weekend even daring to say he looks a bit like Miguel Cabrera at the plate. Perez has been around Cabrera and no doubt learned some things. Pina has looked like a natural hitter from day one. It's astounding it took so long for him to get to majors.

Get Guerra back, trade for a top level pitcher like Quintana. Pitching problems are fixed, championship.

There actually is merit in the notion of trading for Quintana. He is signed through 2020 with club options so he could be the teams ace while the young guys get worked into the rotation. I certainly wouldn't want them to trade for a rental but that is a guy that makes total sense to acquire.

I love this team just as much or more than our previous playoff teams. They are so exciting to watch, and we have so much depth in our lineup. Now let's get Guerra back, bring up Espino and keep on winning!!

Get Guerra back, trade for a top level pitcher like Quintana. Pitching problems are fixed, championship.

There actually is merit in the notion of trading for Quintana. He is signed through 2020 with club options so he could be the teams ace while the young guys get worked into the rotation. I certainly wouldn't want them to trade for a rental but that is a guy that makes total sense to acquire.

Hope the White Sox need lots of OFs. ;)

Archived