Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
  • Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now, I just don't see Milwaukee as future sellers this summer and that feels good. I also like feeling that the Brewers won't be buyers. Where there is cause to bolster the MLB club, there is talent below to "buy" from. Earlier Briggs brought up the "Eldred effect" which I remember well. Plush mentioned the power of rookie pitching, which we all know too painfully well. I'm no gambler, but I think this would have been a pretty good year to take out a long odds futures bet on the Brewers in Vegas. You just never know. This team has talent.

Right now, I just don't see Milwaukee as future sellers this summer and that feels good. I also like feeling that the Brewers won't be buyers. Where there is cause to bolster the MLB club, there is talent below to "buy" from. Earlier Briggs brought up the "Eldred effect" which I remember well. Plush mentioned the power of rookie pitching, which we all know too painfully well. I'm no gambler, but I think this would have been a pretty good year to take out a long odds futures bet on the Brewers in Vegas. You just never know. This team has talent.

Hold tight. May is a brutal month with lots of games against teams expected to contend. We will know a lot more on June 1.

Wildcat, that doesn't belong in this thread, haha.

Broxton has been heating up the last week or so and looking like what he hoped. If guys like him and Villar hit hot streaks right as people like the Cs and Thames level off it will still keep the offense doing just fine.

Wildcat, that doesn't belong in this thread, haha.

Broxton has been heating up the last week or so and looking like what he hoped. If guys like him and Villar hit hot streaks right as people like the Cs and Thames level off it will still keep the offense doing just fine.

This team has a surprising number of players that can carry a team during a hot stretch (Braun, Thames, Santana, Broxton, and maybe Shaw and Villar). A team as dependent on the HR as the Brewers are could be expected to hit cold streaks, but there are so many power options that a couple of guys cooling off will be picked up by a couple of others getting hot. Right now there is no position player I cringe at when he comes to bat in a critical situation.

I haven't seen this much balanced power from the Brewers since the early 80's.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Every regular except Villar and Arcia are OPS-ing .800 or higher. (and we have 2 bench guys who have an OPS over .800 as well).

Both Santana and Broxton have their OPS up at .800 or above now. This is really great, as it just means there's no need to rush Phillips or Brinson at this point for one thing, and for another, it's just really good to have them producing and contributing to winning some baseball games. Santana is probably about what he is, an .800 to .850-ish OPS guy with some pop and ability to draw walks, but that's not a terrible thing.

Santana is probably about what he is, an .800 to .850-ish OPS guy with some pop and ability to draw walks, but that's not a terrible thing.

Only 7 teams got an OPS over .800 from RF last season, and only one over .850. So not only would.800- .850 for Santana not be a terrible thing, it would be a great thing.

If Villar and Broxton and Santana get hot and Braun ,Shaw ,Thames stays healthy watch out for this offense.The starting pitching hopefully get better once Guerra gets back. The Bullpen is still being worked out IMO.

You hover .500 long enough and anything can happen. Fun stuff!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know Braun just strained his calf, and I know this is a good problem but what are we going to do with all these outfielders​??

Brox and Santana (somewhat) now hitting, 3 ofs at sky sox all hitting and on 40 man. Something has to give.

this roster is so sick. best part of it all is that we still have Brinson mashing in AAA...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

this roster is so sick. best part of it all is that we still have Brinson mashing in AAA...

The fact that the roster is in this state with only Arcia brought up from the minors is simply amazing to me. I expected a couple 95 loss seasons before the young guys brought some hope.

Shaw has been steadily good all year. The offense really has been solid. I really underestimated Perez. Does he have the ability to keep this up? The speed and power he has is impressive.

I mean why not? He did very similar things last year: decent average, power, speed, and iffy OBP skills. He is a versatile player who plays acceptable defense and can hit close to average. He won't get the credit, but he is one of the most important things on this team. Versatile decent hitting bench bats are a great thing to have.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Still ahead of the Cubs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived